Sid Hartman: East Coast lands at U

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

East Coast lands at U

It’s a credit to Richard Pitino’s ability to recruit that the Gophers men’s basketball coach could get two of the top athletes out of New York and New Jersey, Isaiah Washington and Jamir Harris, to come to Minnesota.

Harris comes from a long line of athletes. His father, Laquan, played three years at safety for the Rutgers football team before getting injured, and two uncles played in the NFL.

So how did a kid from a football family on the East Coast end up playing basketball with the Gophers?

“My dad actually played basketball and football in high school and a lot of people had mixed emotions on whether he should go to college for basketball or football,” Harris said. “But he happened to choose football. Basketball was also in our veins and our blood as well, that just happened to be the route that I chose.”

Asked if he considered Rutgers, he said: “I honestly didn’t really think about it that much. I just felt when I came here on my visit that I felt extremely comfortable here. At the end of the day, that was the most important. I wanted to go somewhere where I could feel comfortable and get the best of both worlds academically and basketball-wise. I felt like Minnesota was the best place for me.”

Harris was a three-star athlete coming out of the Patrick School, where he won a state title his senior year and averaged 12.5 points per game. The school has produced players such as Kyrie Irving, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Samuel Dalembert and Al Harrington.

Harris also had a connection with Washington, the other big Gophers recruit this season. “We actually played against each other a lot growing up,” Harris said. “We have been really good friends since we played each other in a lot of tournaments since we were younger. We played against each other for a while, me and Isaiah knew each other for a while.”

When it came to his strong points, Harris said shooting three-pointers and playing defense stand out.

“I take pride in my craft. I’m working on my game day in and day out, as far as shooting off the dribble and getting it off the catch and being able to create for my teammates, as well,” he said. “Defensively I take pride in being able to get stops for my teammates on the other end of the floor.”

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-jarius-wright-knows-he-has-to-stay-prepared/453190033/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom