Tar Heels guard Joel Berry breaks hand after Video Game Tantrum

West Fargo Gopher Fan

Section 114 Row 2
Reaction score
From ESPN:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ls-guard-joel-berry-breaks-hand-punching-door

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- North Carolina Tar Heels senior point guard Joel Berry II broke his right hand last week by punching a door after losing a video game to teammate Theo Pinson and a manager.

"He did a silly thing," North Carolina coach Roy Williams told ESPN at ACC media day Wednesday. "That's what it was. One of his greatest characteristics is his competitiveness."

Williams told ESPN that he is uncertain how long Berry will be out, but the initial prognosis was approximately four weeks. The Tar Heels open the regular season on Nov. 10 in Chapel Hill against Northern Iowa.

Berry was the Most Outstanding Player at the Final Four last season and helped lead the Tar Heels to the national title. He had 22 points in the national championship game victory over Gonzaga.

Berry averaged 14.7 points and 3.6 assists last season and was named a preseason first-team All-American by ESPN on Monday. Williams said point guard duties will be split among freshman Jalek Felton, sophomore Seventh Woods and Pinson.

North Carolina has lost several key pieces from last year's team. Justin Jackson and Tony Bradley left early for the NBA, and Kennedy Meeks, Isaiah Hicks and Nate Britt were all seniors.

At least he will have plenty of time to focus on his academics while he heals....

Honestly, is a shame to see someone get hurt in a flukey manner like this but it is his own fault for being stupid enough to punch a door.

When I was in high school, an athlete got mad in a class and stormed out. While in the hallway, he went to kick a door in frustration...missed and kicked the door frame instead. Broke a few toes. Spent the next several months in a walking cast/boot.

Oops.

I have no sympathy for door/wall/floor/etc.. punchers, I lived with one in college, just a bunch of morons.

From ESPN:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ls-guard-joel-berry-breaks-hand-punching-door

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- North Carolina Tar Heels senior point guard Joel Berry II broke his right hand last week by punching a door after losing a video game to teammate Theo Pinson and a manager.

"He did a silly thing," North Carolina coach Roy Williams told ESPN at ACC media day Wednesday. "That's what it was. One of his greatest characteristics is his competitiveness."

Williams told ESPN that he is uncertain how long Berry will be out, but the initial prognosis was approximately four weeks. The Tar Heels open the regular season on Nov. 10 in Chapel Hill against Northern Iowa.

Berry was the Most Outstanding Player at the Final Four last season and helped lead the Tar Heels to the national title. He had 22 points in the national championship game victory over Gonzaga.

Berry averaged 14.7 points and 3.6 assists last season and was named a preseason first-team All-American by ESPN on Monday. Williams said point guard duties will be split among freshman Jalek Felton, sophomore Seventh Woods and Pinson.

North Carolina has lost several key pieces from last year's team. Justin Jackson and Tony Bradley left early for the NBA, and Kennedy Meeks, Isaiah Hicks and Nate Britt were all seniors.

MSU's Branden Dawson will gladly move down to the #2 spot for dumbest way for a basketball player to break his hand.

From ESPN:

Lol at Roy Williams complimenting the idiot while talking about the stupid thing he did. Not sure how he'll be able to handle that rigorous class-load at UNC with such a devastating injury. Somehow, I bet he manages. ;)

Doesn't he know he just has to hit the reset button before the game ends? Then it's like the game never happened.

Are we all really believing this story?

My guess? Was drinking/partying/doing something he shouldn't be doing and got mad/in a fight and broke his hand from that. Maybe he did punch a door but not because of a game of 2k18.

I can't listen to, read, or even see, Roy Williams without getting mad. He makes me sick.

Top Bottom