Jay Williams: "the beginning of the end of the NCAA...this is a slow unravel"

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Jay Williams: "the beginning of the end of the NCAA...this is a slow unravel"

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

I understand how this ends up breaking apart the for profit sports. But how does this destroy the NCAA for say swimming? Baseball? Golf? etc... Is the NCAA not working in those sports?

I understand how this ends up breaking apart the for profit sports. But how does this destroy the NCAA for say swimming? Baseball? Golf? etc... Is the NCAA not working in those sports?

Because the life blood of the NCAA is men's basketball. I heard an estimate yesterday that roughly 95% of their revenue comes from March Madness. Now even if that's an over-estimate by 20% it's still a killer if men's basketball (and therefore massive revenue) unravels from its current form. I can't imagine that governing body surviving.

Because the life blood of the NCAA is men's basketball. I heard an estimate yesterday that roughly 95% of their revenue comes from March Madness. Now even if that's an over-estimate by 20% it's still a killer if men's basketball (and therefore massive revenue) unravels from its current form. I can't imagine that governing body surviving.

Wow! The sky must falling. This chain of thought is ridiculous. Not sure if The author of this article is smart enough to get out of the rain. No the NCAA will not be destroyed. We have had scandals in past years. The NCAA survived and will do so this time. I for one, am hoping that Dad comes and joins his son in the barn. The Gophers will benefit.

Wow! The sky must falling. This chain of thought is ridiculous. Not sure if The author of this article is smart enough to get out of the rain. No the NCAA will not be destroyed. We have had scandals in past years. The NCAA survived and will do so this time. I for one, am hoping that Dad comes and joins his son in the barn. The Gophers will benefit.

The NCAA was the investigating party with the other scandals in past years.
This is the FBI which is essentially finding fraud and bribery among institutions that are members of the NCAA.

I said this before in another thread, but I think we'll see the power 5 / power 6 schools separate at some point to create their own athletic league leaving the smaller schools in the dust.
I don't know enough to know when it will happen, but the Big Ten, SEC, ACC, Big 12, PAC, etc., don't need the NCAA much longer.

Yes, this whole line of thinking is very stupid and illogical. It's the equivalent of saying, "There are a lot of murders in the USA, so we should eliminate police departments and the justice system."

Yes, this whole line of thinking is very stupid and illogical. It's the equivalent of saying, "There are a lot of murders in the USA, so we should eliminate police departments and the justice system."

I think it's more like saying

"There are a lot of people dying from eating food X, made by company A, which the FDA approved as an approved food. The FBI is investigating and found out the the FDA looked the other way when Company A made payments to various people and lobbyist to get the food approved by the FDA for sale. Therefore the FDA might be done as we know it."

(not a perfect analogy, but along those tracks).

I understand the NCAA perfectly.

I haven't had an Oreo or a chocolate milk in years, and I'm also not sure what either has to do with anything.

I'm curious as to why so many people on this blog hate on you so badly. Every time that I read one of your posts it seems perfectly logical, and I find myself agreeing with most of what you write. I suppose I've missed a bit of history here, but the animosity on GH has reached the highest levels of absurdity. After all, I thought this website was based on an opportunity to post "opinions".

Not sure how giving dollars to a recruit is a criminal offense. Against the NCAA rules yes, but against the law? Not sure how fraud enters the picture.

I'm not a lawyer but one could claim by bribing the kids family the damaged parties are the other state schools who recruit the kid legitimately. Hence the bribery laws with that kid.

Would be nice if the NBA would allow high school kids to enter the NBA draft and allow them to play in their minor league until they are ready to produce. I really don't like watching the all star lineups at Kentucky and Duke. Give me a team of 3-4 year players to watch any day. If kids pick college they should be ineligible for the NBA draft for a few years to encourage them to get their degrees. So I guess similar to Hockey and Baseball.

Not sure how giving dollars to a recruit is a criminal offense. Against the NCAA rules yes, but against the law? Not sure how fraud enters the picture.
Well, the issue is all of the other people involved in the bribery scheme to steer the kid to a certain school, financial advisor, shoe company, etc. I am guessing that a coach at a public university that receives federal dollars should not be bribing people and getting illegal kickbacks. Remember, these kids are minors before they get to college. Also, with all of the money changing hands, how much do you think was claimed on tax returns?

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Defrauding the school by taking a scholarship (something of value) and giving it to someone who does not actually qualify for that scholarship (because they are ineligible for taking money).

I think it's more like saying

"There are a lot of people dying from eating food X, made by company A, which the FDA approved as an approved food. The FBI is investigating and found out the the FDA looked the other way when Company A made payments to various people and lobbyist to get the food approved by the FDA for sale. Therefore the FDA might be done as we know it."

(not a perfect analogy, but along those tracks).

Only a "decent analogy" if you're insinuating that the NCAA is looking the other way.

They are all interrelated, the lifeblood of college baseball, gymnastics etc.. is football, without it they don't exist, the NCAA needs basketball to support it's endeavors, the individual members need football, without the revenue sports everything falls apart.

The problem as I see it is that if all/most/some members disregard the organizations rules what is it's purpose, how long does the organization survive. People like Pitino's transgressions for their own benefit really undermines the whole system and put all of college athletics at risk.

??

Well, the issue is all of the other people involved in the bribery scheme to steer the kid to a certain school, financial advisor, shoe company, etc. I am guessing that a coach at a public university that receives federal dollars should not be bribing people and getting illegal kickbacks. Remember, these kids are minors before they get to college. Also, with all of the money changing hands, how much do you think was claimed on tax returns?

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

This is pretty spot on, but I think it is also important to remember is that this can't be looked at through just a sports lens. It ended up affecting sports, but that is not why the FBI got involved with this at all and doesn't care at all about college sports. They care if federal laws are being violated. Groups like the NCAA can organize and create rules governing their activities, but that in no way means that the FBI is going to stay out of their business. That goes for every other type of activity as well. For example Lawyers and Doctors set up rules governing the ethics of their members, but if that doesn't mean they fall out of the purview of Federal law.

You will also see a similar situation emerge now that the IRS has been made aware that Bowen's family received $100,000 in cash that I am pretty sure didn't show up on a tax return. The IRS going after them doesn't mean they care about college basketball anymore than the FBI does.

Top Bottom