Lynch on Fitzgerald: "he’s going to bring a lot of explosiveness, shooting ability"

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Lynch on Fitzgerald: "he’s going to bring a lot of explosiveness, shooting ability"

per Marcus' Q&A:

Q: How excited are you to play with junior forward Davonte Fitzgerald since you both arrived together as transfers a couple seasons ago (Fitzgerald missed last year with a torn ACL)?
RL: I’ve been excited about Davonte ever since we both got here. When he hurt his knee last year it was heart breaking because I wanted to play two years with him. Now I’ve got one year with him. I think he’s going to bring a lot of explosiveness, shooting ability and versatility on the court. I’m just excited to have another good piece with us.

Q: What is it like trying to develop a different mindset when the team felt like the underdog last year?

RL: It’s definitely a different dynamic for us, because we were really low and we had to build ourselves up throughout last year. We need to make sure we don’t get too high on ourselves and be too confident. We need to be confident enough to play together but not think that it’s going to be easy. The accomplishments that we made last year are (in the past). We can expand upon them and build on it with the new guys coming in. We can probably be the No. 1 shot blocking team (in the country) like we were last year. I’m excited for that. We can probably be a really good defensive team.

Q: Where do you expect to see the most improvement in your game from last season?
RL: I’ve always told coach that I want to be able to shoot more outside. He said I can, but I have got to make them. So I definitely took advantage of this (summer) to work on my ball handling and shooting. So I hope to translate it to the season. I’ve tried to enhance my post moves a little more this offseason. I think now I need to work on defense and not fouling in practice. If I can get that down in practice, then it will translate to the games.

Q: What was it like playing in the Twin Cities Pro Am and winning the championship this summer?

RL: It was good to go against Tyus (Jones) and Jon Leuer, players in the NBA. I could see how I match up against them. It was cool to beat Tyus in the Pro Am. It was awesome.

Q: How important will senior leadership be for the Gophers to have success this season?
RL: It’s going to be different for us, because last year Akeem (Springs) came in and brought a leadership quality to our team. Without him other guys will have to step up this year. Nate will have to be a captain again. I’ll see what I can do to bring my leadership qualities to my position. I’m excited for the challenge.

http://www.startribune.com/seniors-nate-mason-and-reggie-lynch-ready-to-lead-the-gophers/442283243/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom