RIP Jud Heathcote

goldenboy

Reaction score
Just saw the news that Jud Heathcote passed away yesterday.

per ESPN:

Jud Heathcote, who led Michigan State and Magic Johnson to the 1979 NCAA championship, has died. He was 90.

The school says Heathcote died Monday in Spokane, Washington.

Spartans coach Tom Izzo was hired by Heathcote and was promoted to replace him when he retired in 1995.

Heathcote won three Big Ten titles and appeared in nine NCAA tournaments during his 19-year career at Michigan State. He got his start as a college head coach in 1971 at Montana, where he spent five seasons.

Heathcote's teams made a combined 10 NCAA tournament appearances, including the Spartans squad, led by Johnson, that won it all in 1978-79.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ote-coached-michigan-state-ncaa-title-dies-90

Go Gophers!!

Still miss the Jud thud

Williams Arena hasn't been the same since losing the annual visits of characters like Heathcote, Bobby Knight, Gene Keady, Lou Henson, etc. The "characters" in college coaching are now few and far between.

RIP Jud. Your infamous and memorable "Jud thuds" are still missed.

Love the part where Couch mentions Heathcote hated "kissing the asses of hotshot 17-year-olds." Sounds like Jud. ... I would hate that part of the job, too.

RIP Jud.

Selection, Don't forget the Lou Do!

How awesome would it be if Pitino could someday be considered a B1G curmudgeon!

Pitino is too corporate & slick to ever be a curmudgeon. He and Chris Collins in the same boat, and both will be very much in demand after the 2017-18 season if things go as planned.

Pitino is too corporate & slick to ever be a curmudgeon. He and Chris Collins in the same boat, and both will be very much in demand after the 2017-18 season if things go as planned.

Probably

But I'm one of the guys who wanted to fire our coach and hire Bobby Knight after Indiana dumped him. 5-6 years of the Bobby revenge tour would have been awesome!

Probably

But I'm one of the guys who wanted to fire our coach and hire Bobby Knight after Indiana dumped him. 5-6 years of the Bobby revenge tour would have been awesome!

I was a fairly big Indiana/Bobby Knight fan back in the day (a distant second behind our Gophers). It's been a struggle to realize the rumors of the worst behavior were likely true.

Full disclosure: Pete Rose was my favorite baseball player as a kid as well. Any amatuer psychologists out there want to explain what's wrong with me?

I was a fairly big Indiana/Bobby Knight fan back in the day (a distant second behind our Gophers). It's been a struggle to realize the rumors of the worst behavior were likely true.

Full disclosure: Pete Rose was my favorite baseball player as a kid as well. Any amatuer psychologists out there want to explain what's wrong with me?

Was OJ your favorite football player?

Was Kermit Washington your favorite basketball player?

RIP. Loved watching him agonize on the bench, but always respected him and his teams.

RIP. He was a fine coach. As Mulligan observed, he absolutely agonized over his teams mistakes, refs calls and and a dozen other things. Among them, Williams arena. As I recall he hated the raised floor more than anyone.

RIP Jud. What a great era of coaches that was for the B1G.

Great coach. Middling is generous for the obituary link. Who makes an obit about the writer and not the deceased?

He may have been the only coach in NCAA history to have an ostrich named after him. Clem tried to raise them and named one after Jud and the after Keady. I liked Jud. Straight shooter, but obviously no appreciation for great arenas!

He may have been the only coach in NCAA history to have an ostrich named after him. Clem tried to raise them and named one after Jud and the after Keady. I liked Jud. Straight shooter, but obviously no appreciation for great arenas!

Ha ha! Jud and Gene! I had forgotten that.

Top Bottom