Doogie: Richard Pitino has had some interesting conversations w/ a few diff parents

BleedGopher

Reaction score
In his latest Scoops Podcast, Doogie said: "Richard Pitino has had some interesting conversations with a few different parents. I don't sense right now that anybody else is transferring. I would be surprised, I guess maybe Diedhiou is a name to watch but I don't think anybody else is transferring, but there are some parents just wondering some things about how, you know, Pitino decided to run things, how he operated, how he decided to play players certain minutes, when he decided to yank guys out, how he prepped his offense. It's no different than any other program when you are talking 18, 19, 20 year olds, parents are still very involved, maybe they shouldn't be, maybe they should be, but I know Richard Pitino has had a few interesting conversations thus far."

Doogie said the Gophers aren't close to filling the open scholarship yet. He said in an ideal world the Gophers would find a big man with flexibility to play the 5 and the 4 and who would be eligible immediately.

http://www.1500espn.com/tag/the-scoop/

Go Gophers!!

"there are some parents just wondering some things about how, you know, Pitino decided to run things, how he operated, how he decided to play players certain minutes, when he decided to yank guys out, how he prepped his offense."

That sounds odd to me. Who was complaining/questioning him? The Hurt's? Coffey? Curry's?

I suppose their might be some questions about why the rotation got so short after Springs went out but honestly I can't see any of the parents of the key players being frustrated or wanting their kid to transfer. Diedhiou is a non factor at this point so if he were to transfer that would actually be a good thing in that maybe they can bring in someone that can help on the court during games.

Didn't listen to the podcast but this feels like Doogie doing his fishing bit and tossing something really vague out there and the hoping to find something to back it up.

If you are 2 and 20 but their kid gets all the shots....those parents are happy. If you are 20 and 2 but their kid is not used the way the parents think they should be...those parents are unhappy. Parents are a bigger pain when you win. It's totally amazing and not unusual.

Gaston won't be transferring. And another source has said Pitino is more interested in finding a big for 2018 than a grad transfer. I think the only way they take a grad transfer is if it's a blue chip, home run, type player. Otherwise it will most likely be a big man to help Oturu in 2018.

Interesting conversations about parents wondering some things, what a classic Doogie post.

HS/college/AAU/club coaches are always going to have parents who want to question them. I've coached a different sport at the high school level for the last 8 years and never make it through a whole season without at least one parent requesting a meeting with me to discuss their son's role on the team. Most are respectful about it, but a couple have gotten heated. Doesn't matter how successful the team is, it's always going to happen. Bet it's even more intense at the D1 level where making it to the next level means getting paid real money to play basketball.

This isn't even news. Every single program in the country will have at least a couple parents meeting with coach to discuss playing time/position/scheme/etc.

Gaston won't be transferring. And another source has said Pitino is more interested in finding a big for 2018 than a grad transfer. I think the only way they take a grad transfer is if it's a blue chip, home run, type player. Otherwise it will most likely be a big man to help Oturu in 2018.

If true this would indicate that Pitino is really looking at things that would help the program in the long term.

Richard Coffey actually tweeted a couple things out during/after games throughout the season that raised my eyebrows a little. I didn't expect him to be "that type" parent, but there were a couple things that made me think he wasn't real high on how Amir was being utilized.....just a thought.

They already would have had a scholarship and would be taking another big (Race?) in the 2018 class anyways even if Gilbert wasn't transferring and we didn't have a scholarship this year.

Do you mean a 2017 big?

Richard Coffey actually tweeted a couple things out during/after games throughout the season that raised my eyebrows a little. I didn't expect him to be "that type" parent, but there were a couple things that made me think he wasn't real high on how Amir was being utilized.....just a thought.

He's said a few things. Thing is Coffey has room to do as much as he wants, he was just a bit tentative at times. I think Richard wanted the ball to be purposefully put in Amir's hands more often as more of a point forward. Thing is I think our O is kind of equal opportunity among the guards even though Mason was the more ball dominant one

Most of Richard's comments were about Amir needing to change his approach ad get more aggressive. It's not like he was complaining about Amir's minutes.

As for the Hurts, they both look like school boys. Mom and Dad need to get them some trainers to bulk them up and start feeding them tri-tip at every meal so they can play big time basketball.

Coffey's tweet was in response to someone suggesting that Amir should be more aggressive. It struck me as more defending/explaining any lack of aggressiveness than complaining. His tweet was along the lines of it being hard to be aggressive when your standing in the corner and everything is happening on the opposite side of the court.

I had no problem with Amir's aggressiveness, and actually thought he excelled when he let the game come to him. It's also hard to argue that a bulk of the offense shouldn't have ran through Mason on the high pick in roll. Coffey is just scratching the surface. There will soon be a time where he will play much faster and aggressive and a large bulk of the offense will run through him. Last year that wasn't/shouldn't have been the case, in my opinion.

I've said before that Hurt likely would have red-shirted if not for the Fitzgerald injury and that he may still red-shirt this year. I think he will be a solid, valuable player for us.

Yikes. All B1G Freshman Team and 33.2 minutes per game. I'm not an elite basketball mind, but...

we have no reason to believe that any of this is true. Keep speculation from impacting your view of various families as we really have no idea who or if any of this ever happened.

I've heard that Richard has been on Pitino's case about Amir running the point. It was one of the selling points for him choosing here over Iowa State. He wants the offense centered around Amir

Why would a college coach need to be talking to parents of current players?

Were they difficult conversations though? If they were, I hope Richard had PJ with him. I heard he eats those types of conversations for breakfast.

We deleted a number of posts in this thread that originated from an incorrect rumor about the Hurt family. We looked into this issue and can assure you that the Hurt family has been 100% supportive of Coach Pitino and the University of Minnesota, and that the post about this situation was 100% false.

I've heard that Richard has been on Pitino's case about Amir running the point. It was one of the selling points for him choosing here over Iowa State. He wants the offense centered around Amir

I remember Richard Coffey demanding that any school recruiting Amir submit a detailed explanation of how they would give him PG responsibilities. It sounded overbearing then and it wouldn't surprise me if he was on Pitino's case about it.

We deleted a number of posts in this thread that originated from an incorrect rumor about the Hurt family. We looked into this issue and can assure you that the Hurt family has been 100% supportive of Coach Pitino and the University of Minnesota, and that the post about this situation was 100% false.

Excellent!

Good, and there are other times you could act when posts get too personal about U athletes and staff in my opinion.

Does it really matter? He gets the ball at the top of the key all the time. By all means, go to the basket whenever you wish. If he gets a bit stronger, it will be very hard to stop. Who cares who's bringing the ball up unless we're getting pressed as against Iowa.

Does it really matter? He gets the ball at the top of the key all the time. By all means, go to the basket whenever you wish. If he gets a bit stronger, it will be very hard to stop. Who cares who's bringing the ball up unless we're getting pressed as against Iowa.

I'm just stating what I heard. I thought Pitino put Amir in positions to be successful. He just was passive at times

It is a pretty slippery slope when you start deleting rumors. Question for Gopherhole Staff. Did you contact the Hurt family or did they contact Gopherhole? if the latter, it kind of confirms the rumors.

It is a pretty slippery slope when you start deleting rumors. Question for Gopherhole Staff. Did you contact the Hurt family or did they contact Gopherhole? if the latter, it kind of confirms the rumors.

What business is it of yours? LSDL (let sleeping dogs lie)

How would that confirm the rumors? If a friend of Matt or Michael's questioned him on it, they would have a conversation with their family about it wouldn't they?

We aren't going to get into the details of our conversations. We can assure you we went through the appropriate channels and spoke with the appropriate contacts to ensure we had the situation correct before we deleted the posts.

The whole scene of intrusive parents is getting worse, IMHO. I know for a fact that pressure/flack from parents is one of the main reasons why HS coaches are quitting at much younger ages then they used to. It's just not worth the aggravation.

Again, my direct experience is at the HS level, but I've dealt with a LOT of parents who were completely unrealistic about their kid's talent level and future prospects. You have kids that aren't good enough to start at a small HS, and the parents think the kid would be getting scholarship offers "if the coach would just use him the right way." And for the coach, it's a no-win situation.

It stands to reason that, as players move on to college, at least some of them will have intrusive parents. At least the college coaches are paid a lot more money as compensation for dealing with crazy parents. The money HS coaches get just isn't enough for some to want to continue dealing with all the aggravation.

Top Bottom