Gophers AD Mark Coyle: ‘I’ve told (Pitino) I want to talk about his contract’

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Chad:

You mention earning people back. At the beginning of the season, attendance at home games wasn’t very high. Were you worried fans might not come back?

I only just finished my fifth year being an AD, but what I’ve learned is you can’t control whether somebody buys a ticket or not. What you can control is your actions and how you do things. We talk a lot about earning people back. Our early games, when we didn’t have the crowds that we were hoping for, we get that. We started to have success and created some credibility with people, and people started to show up, which was awesome.

Did you have an idea that it was possible to reach the NCAA tournament as a No. 5 seed?

At that time, no. When I sat down with Richard the first time, I was really impressed with how well thought out he was and how prepared he was looking at the big picture for the program. When he talked about going in the right direction, I believed him and felt like he was taking us in the right direction. I always tell people there’s a reason why you play the games. For any of us to sit here and say we’re going to be a 5 seed the following year, we probably all would have scratched our heads. But to give Richard credit, he believed in what he was doing, he believed in his coaching staff and his students and the results have paid off.

Will you re-evaluate his contract this offseason?

I don’t mean to be flippant, but we’re all being evaluated every day. Obviously, I evaluate Richard every day. Richard has a contract that was done prior to my arrival. I’ve told Richard that I want to sit down and talk about his contract and take a look at that. We’ll have those conversations. The most important thing I want for our program is I want good people. I’m a big believer that if people are excited and happy and energetic, they’re going to perform better in their jobs whether you’re a school teacher, a doctor, a basketball coach, whatever that is. I want to make sure that Richard is comfortable with where we’re at and where we’re going. I look forward to having those continued conversations with him about his contract.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/03/1...old-pitino-i-want-to-talk-about-his-contract/

Go Gophers!!

He is doing the right thing by staying ahead on the contract discussions which is good management - nice Job Mark. I believe that Pitino is a real Gem and his best coaching/recruiting is in front of him. He has a ways to go to mature with some aspects of his role but, hey, who doesn't. If the U wants to keep Pitino they certainly can for as long as they want the just need to stay ahead of it and make sure he gets what he needs on a number of fronts.

Conversely if he ever leaves you can squarely place the blame at the feet of the AD for screwing it up (you had one Job... Just one...).

Top Bottom