Charley Walters: McKinley Boston says Gophers’ NCAA seed will be in 5-7 range

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shooter:

It looks like the Gophers men’s basketball team, with a 24-9 record entering Sunday’s NCAA tournament pairings announcement, will end up with a seed in the Nos. 5 to 7 range, McKinley Boston said.

Boston, who spent nine years as Gophers athletics director and as a university vice president, also spent five years on the NCAA men’s basketball tournament selection committee. He has retired as athletics director at New Mexico State but follows Minnesota, his alma mater, closely.

“The challenge (the Gophers) will have is that the Big Ten as a conference isn’t rated as strong as it has been historically,” Boston said.

“The five-seed against the 12-seed historically has been the game for most upsets,” Boston said. “So if they can avoid the five, they should consider themselves lucky.”

Meanwhile, Boston, 71, has been doing some consulting and playing lots of golf, he said, as a 14-handicapper. A defensive tackle for the Gophers’ last Big Ten championship football team, he plans to attend the team’s 50-year reunion in Minneapolis this fall. He is one of 10 Gophers from that 1967 team who received an opportunity to play in the NFL.

Boston resides in Las Cruces, N.M., but will move to his native North Carolina within a year.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/03/1...-says-gophers-ncaa-seed-will-be-in-5-7-range/

Go Gophers!!

Lunardi has moved us down to a 7 seed (Michigan is now a 6!) in his latest bracket with the Gophers set to play Seton Hall.

I really don't think Michigan deserves to jump the Gophers. A close win in a conference tourney game in which teams play back to back (not what they do in the NCAA tournament) should not supersede a better regulars season conference record and overall resume.

I don't see any way that Michigan gets a 6 and we are a 7, even if they win tomorrow. If anything, we will both be 6 seeds. Lunardi up to his usual tricks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shocker...we'll be somewhere between a 5 and 7 seed. Stop the presses.
Boston just stating the obvious.
I couldn't care less what seed we are. Just tell us who we get to beat.

I don't see any way that Michigan gets a 6 and we are a 7, even if they win tomorrow. If anything, we will both be 6 seeds. Lunardi up to his usual tricks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, but I don't think Lunardi is saying who SHOULD be seeded where. His is predicting who WILL be seeded where.

Lunardi has moved us down to a 7 seed (Michigan is now a 6!) in his latest bracket with the Gophers set to play Seton Hall.

I really don't think Michigan deserves to jump the Gophers. A close win in a conference tourney game in which teams play back to back (not what they do in the NCAA tournament) should not supersede a better regulars season conference record and overall resume.

Seriously, if this team gets a 7 seed that is a slap in the face and I hope the team takes it as such. They should be a 6, borderline 5.

I'm guessing a 6, outside shot at a 5. A 7 would definitely be a slap in the face imo.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom