Favorite (or least favorite) Big Ten player who played forever

Dano564

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
Trevor Mbakwe is one that other teams in the Big Ten would name for being around seemingly forever.

One from several years ago, who I believe only played 4 years was Mike Peplowski back at Michigan State before they got consistently good.

Jess Settles I believe is still 2nd off the bench at Iowa.

Who are your favorites or least favorites?

Least Favorites:

Talor Battle
Kalin Lucas

Feel like they both killed the gophers so many times that it was painful playing them.

Favorites:

John Shurna
Dee Brown

It was just really fun watching these guys play.

Per team:

Illinois- Andy Kauffman
Indiana/Iowa- Luke Recker
Iowa- Jess Settles
Michigan- Louis Bullock
Michigan State- Mateen Cleaves
Minnesota- Chad Kolander
Northwestern- Evan Eschmeyer
Ohio State- Lawrence Funderburke
Penn State- Jarrett Stephens/John Amaechi
Purdue- Brad Miller/Brian Cardinal
Wisconsin- Duany Duany
Wisconsin/Iowa- Sam Okey

I am not including Maryland, Nebraska, or Rutgers as it is too new for me to have any lasting memories of guys that were around forever.

Favorite...Cleaves from MSU.
Least favorite......Green MSU

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Least: Aaron Craft. But only because of B1G announcers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trevor Mbakwe is one that other teams in the Big Ten would name for being around seemingly forever.

One from several years ago, who I believe only played 4 years was Mike Peplowski back at Michigan State before they got consistently good.

Jess Settles I believe is still 2nd off the bench at Iowa.

Who are your favorites or least favorites?

Mbakwe played 3 years in the big 10....

I would say Robbie Hummel for me.

Going back a ways, Acie Earl of Iowa seemed to play forever. Granville Waiters from Ohio State did as well and he looked the part, resembling the guy on the Uncle Ben's box.

Going back a ways, Acie Earl of Iowa seemed to play forever. Granville Waiters from Ohio State did as well and he looked the part, resembling the guy on the Uncle Ben's box.

As for Waiters, I was like 5 years old and I asked my Dad if other grandpas played against the Gophers. The shaved head trend came painfully too late for Granville.

Least Favorite: Brian Cardinal Purdue

414YGJ9K8QL._SY300_.jpg

As for Waiters, I was like 5 years old and I asked my Dad if other grandpas played against the Gophers. The shaved head trend came painfully too late for Granville.

Man, you weren't kidding.

CeW9uXJUEAAEiGj.jpg

Mbakwe played 3 years in the big 10....

I would say Robbie Hummel for me.

He may have only played 3 in the big ten, but why it may seem he was around forever, was because he came to the U of M when he was like 21 years old, and being 3 years removed from highschool already. Their seemed to be the perception that he didn't have much eligibility left, even though he had two years remaining...and then got an extra life because he got injured during what was supposed to be his last year. He was 24 by the time he was finally done with college ball.

I thought of Hummel also.

Cardinal

Evan Eschmeyer was collecting social security when he left Northwestern.

Nigel Hayes

He can finally stop whining about not being paid in whatever Euro league he ends up in next year.

I always really liked Talor Battle (Penn State) and Michael "Juice" Thompson (Northwestern)

Brad Lohaus is comin' to yo house. Just wanted to say that.

That recruiting class of Vershaw, Kelly and Kowske by Dick Bennett was a nice little squad. Hated and loved them. Kelley always played under control.

Tracy Abrams for Illinois. I know he was hurt for a couple of years but the dude has been around for ages! I was still in High school when he was a freshman. That was close to 6 years ago!!

He may have only played 3 in the big ten, but why it may seem he was around forever, was because he came to the U of M when he was like 21 years old, and being 3 years removed from highschool already. Their seemed to be the perception that he didn't have much eligibility left, even though he had two years remaining...and then got an extra life because he got injured during what was supposed to be his last year. He was 24 by the time he was finally done with college ball.

I thought of Hummel also.

This must have been it, because at some point reading another forum the Mbakwe "joke" came up about a player playing forever.

Per team:

Illinois- Andy Kauffman
Indiana/Iowa- Luke Recker
Iowa- Jess Settles
Michigan- Louis Bullock
Michigan State- Mateen Cleaves
Minnesota- Chad Kolander
Northwestern- Evan Eschmeyer
Ohio State- Lawrence Funderburke
Penn State- Jarrett Stephens/John Amaechi
Purdue- Brad Miller/Brian Cardinal
Wisconsin- Duany Duany
Wisconsin/Iowa- Sam Okey

I am not including Maryland, Nebraska, or Rutgers as it is too new for me to have any lasting memories of guys that were around forever.

These are great.

I agree with the Luke Recker and Sam Okey ones. What's up with those transfers? Maybe I thought they were the same guy.

I agree on Eschmeyer and John Amaechi and of course, Cardinal is probably the best fit.

Nigel Hayes

He can finally stop whining about not being paid in whatever Euro league he ends up in next year.

This entire wisconsin team this year is whiners and complainers. Just when I thought I couldn't possibly hate the badgers any more than I already do, they decide to go open their mouths on politics. No thanks.

David Lighty logged a solid 8 years

Kevin Boyle for Iowa. How many of you remember him?

Esch Meyer... I remember the student section chanting 4 more years as northwestern beat us at the barn

Top Bottom