This season is one of the biggest turnarounds in NCAA history.

Frank Grimey Grimes

Reaction score
Another good win for the Gophers, I thought they might let Michigan steal it, but we held on. Even if we only get two more wins the rest of the season and end with 10 big ten wins... it will be one the biggest turnarounds ever. The most recent tournaround of this magnitude is Indiana going from 3 wins to 11 wins in 2011. Pitino has throughorly impressed me this season, I think he can be the guy here for a long time.

It's a shame that a likely tournament appearance from Northwestern will probably deny him a shot at Big Ten coach of the year.

What should be more impressive is what he brings back next year, along with a great recruiting class. Next year I see 14-4 or 15-3 in conference. A few breaks (or a couple more gems on his roster) and it could have happened this year.

What should be more impressive is what he brings back next year, along with a great recruiting class. Next year I see 14-4 or 15-3 in conference. A few breaks (or a couple more gems on his roster) and it could have happened this year.

Whoa, pump the brakes a bit.

If they get to 10-8, it would be only the fourth time since 1980 that they reached double digits for conference wins.

Macgopher is wise! They only lose Springs

The problem is much of the rest of the conference isn't losing many people too. It depends on our schedule and who the home and away games are.

I also am predicting a national title.

No, we should vacate when North Carolina agrees to vacate! I love the self loathing Gopher fans!

I'm making a harmless joke, mainly to make fun of the idea of vacated wins, so pump the brakes. But as someone who wasn't old enough to enjoy the Clem Haskins era, I have to say that this season is shaping up to be one of my most memorable. Can't help but feel that this program is going to improve considerably over the next couple years.

Gopher basketball is fun again. I haven't enjoyed the games this much since the Clem Haskins years.

Macgopher is wise! They only lose Springs

I think Springs has been a significant part of the turnaround. His grit and fire has elevated this team. I wish we had him another year. Someone on this squad will have to take a more vocal leadership role when he is gone but have not quite figured who that will be yet.

The Barn was loud tonight - glad I was there to enjoy the win!

Whoa, pump the brakes a bit.

Why? If they would have just made made the last shot vs MSU at home, not a big jump to think they could have done. They'd be 9-5 with 2 easy home games left. OR, the PSU game where they gave up a HUGE 2nd half lead??

Last year, they had a couple close losses among those first 13 conf losses. Then pulled off an upset of Maryland at home.

This year, they had a couple close losses among their first 9 conf games. Then they pulled off a 5 game winning streak.

How is it so hard to believe that by this time next year, losing only Springs, but gaining 3 new players, that we won't win games like that MSU home game and that PSU road game AND also the Wisconsin home game that we only lost by 2 points.
Those 3 games going the other way would put us at 11-3 right now with 2 easy home games that would put us at 13-3. So we win just 1 of the 2 remaining road games and there you go, 14-4.

All I'm saying is that its not that big of a stretch. And no reason to "pump the brakes a bit"

I don't see it if we have the same type schedule next year (we played more games against the better teams this year) - if we get a more favorable schedule and certain things happen ( swanigan goes pro, Indiana gets new coach, MSU loses stud freshman to NBA, ) we will have a strong core of upperclassmen that could hit that mark.

Word! It would have happened in 1997 if Harris wasn't hurt!

Then we would've gotten a 30 for 30 for being the only vacated national champion! On a serious note, Bg Ten should be even deeper next year, Rutgers will b better, Illini, bring in a great class, although they lose a lot of there roster. Wisconsin will drop a little, but will still be good, Purdue, Sparty, Maryland and Northwestern will be tough. Penn State has a young core that should continue to progress. Indiana will probably be down, i imagine Ohio State and Michigan will be about where they are this year, Iowa has a good recruiting class, but they lose Jok. I think 10-8 will be the floor next year and 12-6, 13-5 will be attainable, anything more will be gravy.

Top Bottom