CBS: Tom Izzo rips Dan Dakich for tweets: 'He owes us an apology'

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per CBS:

The student section of Michigan State, known as the Izzone, vocally expressed their disapproval of tweets sent out from ESPN color analyst Dan Dakich on Tuesday night during a game against Ohio State. The Izzone, which repeatedly burst out in chants of "We hate Dakich," (according to Michigan State beat writer Brendan Quinn) which didn't please head coach Tom Izzo.

Until he found out why they were chanting it.

"I've got to be honest with you, I was kind of getting upset with the chants of Dakich until I got in the locker room, and I asked what was that all about?" Izzo said. "Somebody read me his tweets. Social media. And if I would have known that before the game, I would have embarrassed myself almost as much as he embarrassed himself and I would have led the chants because calling us whiners and all that is kind of unprofessional."

Dakich, who sent out several tweets directed at Michigan State and its fans calling them "whiny" and "dumb", didn't sit well with the fans or Izzo himself as we saw tonight. In one specific exchange with a Michigan State fan from Feb. 8, Dakich wrote: "Sparty not only whines but now just dumb!! Couldn't get into UM??"

That tweet, which in context (his son is a basketball player at Michigan), is funny on the surface. But the tweet, which has now been deleted, had Izzo ready to go to war and fueled a rant which lasted close to five minutes in length.

"Saying our students couldn't get in there [Michigan]," Izzo said, "and he's doing games for Michigan when his son is there. That is a disappointment and that is ridiculous and I think it's funny because I've got no respect for him for that. You can read it, you can tweet it, you can do whatever you want with it. But Twitter got him in trouble, and I'm surprised ESPN would let somebody say something like that that works for them.

"Danny owes our fans and our students an apology. And I probably won't get it. I've always gotten along with Dan, but as you know, it seems like this year a lot of people have been mad at me, but I would have loved to get in that Izzone and joined those chants if I was on Twitter. Thank God, I'm not. Thank God some of my friends are."

http://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...-dan-dakich-for-tweets-he-owes-us-an-apology/

Go Gophers!!

Ironic since Dakich whines all the time about the Hoffarber game winning shot against Indiana awhile back.

It might be a little tougher to get into Michigan, as a non-bb player, but I don't know if that is a fact or not.

BUT, the funny part of this for me, is the simple fact that whether a bb player could get into Michigan or not, WHY WOULD HE WANT TO???

MSU has been better at bb than Michigan for over 20 years now, and arguably going back 40-50 years or more, if you don't acknowledge the Fab Five accomplishments of Michigan?

So let me get this straight. Izzo is whining about being called a whiner? Sounds about right.

Just in case anyone doesn't know this, Dakich's kid is on the Michigan basketball team.

Dakich has gotten carried away I think with embracing his inner troll. If he stuck to basketball, he'd be the best one at ESPN. He's as smart as any of them when it comes to analyzing the game from the booth and I feel like I learn something about the game everytime he does one.

But I don't know if being at ESPN has just turned him into a troll - like it does to most people it would seem - or what but he's gotten kind of annoying with all the outside noise kind of stuff. I hate to be the "stick to sports" guy, but I wish he'd just do his job.

Dakich has gotten carried away I think with embracing his inner troll. If he stuck to basketball, he'd be the best one at ESPN. He's as smart as any of them when it comes to analyzing the game from the booth and I feel like I learn something about the game everytime he does one.

But I don't know if being at ESPN has just turned him into a troll - like it does to most people it would seem - or what but he's gotten kind of annoying with all the outside noise kind of stuff. I hate to be the "stick to sports" guy, but I wish he'd just do his job.

Agreed. He's as good as they get analyzing the game. Too many famous people claim importance and expertise because they are famous and not because they are experts. It's epidemic.

It might be a little tougher to get into Michigan, as a non-bb player, but I don't know if that is a fact or not.

BUT, the funny part of this for me, is the simple fact that whether a bb player could get into Michigan or not, WHY WOULD HE WANT TO???

MSU has been better at bb than Michigan for over 20 years now, and arguably going back 40-50 years or more, if you don't acknowledge the Fab Five accomplishments of Michigan?
Michigan State is to Michigan what Minnesota State - Mankato is to Minnesota. MSU is affectionately known as "Moo U," so...yeah, it's harder to get into UM than to MSU.

As for basketball, MSU became good with Magic and then sputtered until Izzo. UM has had a long tradition of good basketball.

Your argument works in the Izzo era.

Michigan State is to Michigan what Minnesota State - Mankato is to Minnesota. MSU is affectionately known as "Moo U," so...yeah, it's harder to get into UM than to MSU.

As for basketball, MSU became good with Magic and then sputtered until Izzo. UM has had a long tradition of good basketball.

Your argument works in the Izzo era.

Michigan State is a fellow Big Ten team to Michigan. Comparing that relationship to the U and Mankato makes zero sense.

Michigan State is a fellow Big Ten team to Michigan. Comparing that relationship to the U and Mankato makes zero sense.
Today it is. Historically they are the ag school while UM is the school of business and industry. In Michigan they (MSU) are the little kid sister to the big brother (UM).
This is why I make the UMN vs Minnesota State comparison. Put Minnesota State in the B1G and they would be looked on as the little sister.

Today it is. Historically they are the ag school while UM is the school of business and industry. In Michigan they (MSU) are the little kid sister to the big brother (UM).
This is why I make the UMN vs Minnesota State comparison. Put Minnesota State in the B1G and they would be looked on as the little sister.

I understand MSU is known as the little brother to Michigan but they are D1 in every sport and are in the same conference. Nothing similar to the U and Mankato.

I understand MSU is known as the little brother to Michigan but they are D1 in every sport and are in the same conference. Nothing similar to the U and Mankato.
As you wish. It's not worth going on.

No big deal just a strange comparison IMO.

Agreed. Super strange and poor comparison. One of the more bizarre posts I've read on here recently, and it was also slightly sexist and elitist in interesting ways.

Top Bottom