NCAA Tournament - Regionals and Opening Rounds

37score

Reaction score
Hi,

It seemed in the days of the Metrodome, we were hosting NCAA games about every 2nd or 3rd year. Either we'd have opening round games, or at least a regional every third year or so.

With the Metrodome's demise and the new stadium, a significant lag occurred, and we will next be hosting sites during the final four in a couple years.

Any word if we are competing for more opening round or regional games after this?

The NCAA seems to be moving away from using football stadium venues for anything but the Final Four, which I'm a fan of. With that said, would love to see the Xcel or the renovated Target Center get an opening weekend or regional at some point.

As to your question, venues have been announced through 2018 and the Twin Cities are not included.

Football stadiums for a game vs. two not local teams is kind of a joke. Especially when it is a 4 vs 13 or something. Much better for all involved to be in an arena like Target Center

Football stadiums for a game vs. two not local teams is kind of a joke. Especially when it is a 4 vs 13 or something. Much better for all involved to be in an arena like Target Center

Seemed like it always drew well. I'm guessing it usually got 30k+ for regionals.

Seemed like it always drew well. I'm guessing it usually got 30k+ for regionals.

Tough thing about the Xcel or Target Center is State Tournaments. feel like the opening round falls on either boys state hockey or girls basketball weekend, plus the tenants in the building and factor in the NCHC Tournamnet at Target Center, although i could see that moving to St. Paul now that the B1G and the WCHA are going back to campus tournaments.

Tough thing about the Xcel or Target Center is State Tournaments. feel like the opening round falls on either boys state hockey or girls basketball weekend, plus the tenants in the building and factor in the NCHC Tournamnet at Target Center, although i could see that moving to St. Paul now that the B1G and the WCHA are going back to campus tournaments.

You gotta think with the Target Center renovation (completed next year), they would try to host some round in the NCAA's at some point.

The 2006 Regional at the HHH Dome did not draw very well, 22,000 as all 4 teams were from the east coast ('Nova, G'town, Fla & BC). The 2009 1st & 2nd rounds was less than 20,000.

The various college hockey tournaments complicate arena availability here. In theory, if you could convince the MSHSL that the boys finals could be at The Barn, you could free up a Sweet 16 slot in 2019, but that's the year the New Humpty Dump hosts the Final Four.

All the contracts expire after 2019.

The 2006 Regional at the HHH Dome did not draw very well, 22,000 as all 4 teams were from the east coast ('Nova, G'town, Fla & BC). The 2009 1st & 2nd rounds was less than 20,000.

22k is more than most basketball arenas.
I was at that regional. Those were some great teams and games.

22k is more than most basketball arenas.
I was at that regional. Those were some great teams and games.

Not much more than an arena as Target Center holds over 19,000. The price of tix has gotten much more expensive well, $150 per session. Fans just are not going to shell that out to sit in the upper deck of a dome. Back in 2006 it was more like $50. The NCAA has gone to smaller venues but higher prices and comes out way ahead.

Top Bottom