Awkward Win Over Indiana Proves Gophers Maturing as a Team

BleedGopher

Reaction score
The "awkward win over Indiana" subject headline is purely tongue in cheek for those long-time GopherHoler's who remember PMac's infamous "Awkward Win Over Indiana" column where he used a win as proof a Tubby team wasn't good (it was a B.S. column, but that's a different story).

We had some really ugly aspects of the game tonight, we gave up another solid second half lead, but guess what, we battled back, we made big plays on both ends, we hit a few big FTs and we came up with big plays down the stretch.

This season has been a blast. This team is fun to watch and even when they aren't playing well, they fight. Pitino has the players working very hard on both ends. I can't wait for Sunday night!!

Go Gophers!!

Maybe it's time to stop saying that this game or that game is a "definite win" before it's even played.... :D

Maybe it's time to stop saying that this game or that game is a "definite win" before it's even played.... :D

I'm not sure who said that, but whomever did was right. It was a definite win - no ambiguity in the outcome. We definitely won.

Go Gophers!!

It certainly wasn't pretty. Couple of the things I really liked were.

1. Murphy with his third straight double double. Showing that the huge game against Iowa wasn't a fluke and maybe that he has figured out how to work in this offense and become the dominant player that they desperately need him to be.

2. They won with a fairly minimal contribution from Lynch, especially in the second half. Someone jokingly said in another thread that the good thing about him fouling out all the time is that the team knows how to win without him and there really is some truth to that.

3. Coffey really took over in the second half and clearly wanted the ball in his hands. He has shown he has the skills to be an elite player in this conference, the sooner he gets there the better because this team badly needs that go to guy to lean on some in those really tight situations.

This team is a lot of fun to watch and also has the ability to be very frustrating at times. Hard not to be excited about the future though knowing that basically the entire team should be back next year and there are some reinforcements coming to join the party as well.

This was a HUGE win imho. I really feel that IU is underrated with T. Bryant and James Blackman, they are both great players that will most likely play in the NBA. IU has had their struggles but they are still an extremely dangerous team. Great win fellas!

This was a HUGE win imho. I really feel that IU is underrated with T. Bryant and James Blackman, they are both great players that will most likely play in the NBA. IU has had their struggles but they are still an extremely dangerous team. Great win fellas!

They are not the same team without O.G. but they are still solid. Had to have been a big confidence boost for this team and has been great to see them get back on track after the 5 game losing streak. Opportunity is there to close the season on a high note as games at Wisconsin and Maryland will be tough but all the home games are winnable for sure. Going at least 10-8 in the conference seems possible, not great but considering this team just won 2 conference games last year a definite step in the right direction.

Seems like Wisconsin and Michigan State get 4 or 5 "Ugly" conference wins each year. We definitely need to get more of these.

They are not the same team without O.G. but they are still solid. Had to have been a big confidence boost for this team and has been great to see them get back on track after the 5 game losing streak. Opportunity is there to close the season on a high note as games at Wisconsin and Maryland will be tough but all the home games are winnable for sure. Going at least 10-8 in the conference seems possible, not great but considering this team just won 2 conference games last year a definite step in the right direction.

Knowing this team I would not be a bit surprised to see us finish at 10-8, but do it by blowing a home game and winning one of the underdog games on the road. They still seem a little "afraid to lose" at home, whereas on the road they seem to just throw it out there with less pressure on their shoulders. Last night's game was very big because now it just gives them so many more routes to the minimum 9-9 record.

Bleed, I love that you remembered that headline. I saw your post and thought - "what again?"
BTN spent some time discussing how many points Indiana would have won by if we didn't have Mason...
But - we do have Mason, I thought, and do we get to subtract their guy who fouls his way into the paint in this mythical game?

Bleed, I love that you remembered that headline. I saw your post and thought - "what again?"
BTN spent some time discussing how many points Indiana would have won by if we didn't have Mason...
But - we do have Mason, I thought, and do we get to subtract their guy who fouls his way into the paint in this mythical game?

Yeah, if we didn't have Mason, and Springs has his off game, and Coffey didn't sign here, and Lynch became ineligible, and Curry got lost on the way to the game...yup, they would have beat us by 40. Good talk, Rusty.

And by the same token, IF my aunt had testicles, I'd call her my uncle.

Speaking of winning without Lynch - it would be interesting to see some sets with Murphy at the 5 and play small.

Bump Coffey/Springs up a slot and insert McBrayer - could be a deadly pressure lineup.

Top Bottom