Pitino on KFAN: "Twitter Ban about Protecting Players"

Frank Grimey Grimes

Reaction score
Talking about why he does not let players go on twitter. His reasoning is to protect his players from trolls and criticism. He likened it to not sending a player who had a rough game to talk to the media. Good reasoning in my opinion, Pitino drives me nuts sometimes, but he genuinely sounds like he cares about his players.

I missed that but sounds reasonable. I did like what he said about Murph, something to the effect of he felt bad about his previous comments in press about Murph's scoring abilities (or lack thereof) and made a point to sit down with him and clarify his statement. To the original point, glad he goes out of his way to keep things on the level w players.

I missed that but sounds reasonable. I did like what he said about Murph, something to the effect of he felt bad about his previous comments in press about Murph's scoring abilities (or lack thereof) and made a point to sit down with him and clarify his statement. To the original point, glad he goes out of his way to keep things on the level w players.

Not sure how sorry he should be. He obviously pushed the right button.

I also thought what he said about Murphy's scoring was a class act. A lot of coaches miss signals where an adjustment to what was first said is the next move.

He shared what Billy Donovan told him: when Billy would have a bad game as a player, he could always go back to his dorm room and escape. That's no longer so easy if you're plugged into the Net.

Couldn't a player still view all of that criticism about him as long as they don't tweet or favorite anything? Then the coaches wouldn't know that the player is still on twitter, just no actively.

Wise move by Pitino. I thought the OT board here was nasty. Twitter blows that away. I like Twitter, but it does give a voice to the lowest scum of human society. College athletes don't need to be reading the vicious garbage that the lowest garbage of society is spewing openly on Twitter.

Wise move by Pitino. I thought the OT board here was nasty. Twitter blows that away. I like Twitter, but it does give a voice to the lowest scum of human society. College athletes don't need to be reading the vicious garbage that the lowest garbage of society is spewing openly on Twitter.
Thanks for letting us know where you land on the societal spectrum, Selection. [emoji56] [emoji57] [emoji41]

Excellent. I was not happy about what Pitino said and was really confused because I think he's usually pretty damn good with the media and with what he says about his players.

Top Bottom