Game 12: Gophers Host Rutgers (2-11-17)

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
Chasing that Vanishing WNIT Dust Cloud:

Rutgers (3-8) arrives at Williams arena following a 63-53 home loss to Indiana. The Scarlet Knights led 29-27 at the half before coming apart. Rutgers struggles were predictable when, following surgery, Tyler Scaife decided to sit out the season. As usual, in the B1G, Rutgers averages 55.3 points per game; but they are giving up 63.5. The Gophers average 71.9/game and allow 77.2. Something has to give.

While Rutgers doesn’t foul much more than Minnesota (197 to 186), they’ve had five different players foul out. The multiple DQ’s are Harris (3) and Barber (2). Minnesota has had one DQ (Fernstrom).

Rutgers is not known for three point shooting; nevertheless, they were 11-19 from beyond the arc in their victory over the Badgers. And the Scarlet Knights were also 6-14 from three in their comeback upset of Michigan State. In the B1G, Rutgers is 57-167 (.341) from three and Minnesota is an un Gopher like 66-213 (.310).

This looks to be a bit of a slug it out contest.

B1G Wins: Penn State, 61-45; Wisconsin, 68-52; Michigan State, 62-58.

B1G Losses: @ Michigan, 63-50; @ Illinois, 78-41; @ Nebraska, 62-58; Iowa, 71-59; @ Maryland, 80-71; Northwestern, 55-37; @ Iowa, 71-57, Indiana, 63-52.

Common Opponent: Rutgers defeated Seton Hall 53-45.

Last Season:
The two teams split. In Piscataway, on opening day, Rutgers fourth quarter press disrupted the Gophers leading to a 66-55 Scarlet Knight win. At Williams Arena the Gophers prevailed 85-72. None of the current Rutgers players started that game. In the first game, Wagner scored 22. In the second, Wagner scored 22 and Hedstrom 11. For Rutgers, Jeune put up 10.

Probable Starters with B1G Stats:

Aliyah Jeune: 6’1” G/F So. (11.6 point/game) 25.2 minutes/game
Victoria Harris: 6’3” C/F So. (3.9 p/g) 16.7 minutes
Jazlynd Rollins: 5’7” G Jr. (3.5 p/g) 20.2 minutes
Shrita Parker: 5’7” G Jr. (13.1 p/g) 37.2 minutes
Khadaizha Sanders: 5’7” G So. (6.3) 35.0 minutes

Others:

Desiree Keeling: 6’2” C/F So. (3.8 p/g) 18.2 minutes
Kandiss Barber: 5’10” F/G Jr (10.9 p/g) 25.0 minutes

They need Hubbard to help break the full court press

Yes, this should be a win at home. Not sure the outcome would be the same if this was a road game. Rutgers seems to be an offensively challenged team, but they're athletic and solid defensively. I've seen them play maybe a half-dozen times this year and the effort has always been good. It will be interesting to see who gets minutes at the post: Edwards, Bello, Fernstrom? And as Hubbard gets back into the loop, how much do Brunson's minutes decrease? Gophers are at a point in the season where they probably need to make sure that the frosh (T. Bello, Brunson, Hubbard) get minutes instead of seniors Hedstrom and Tinjum. Time to start thinking about next year, I think, and make sure players who will be expected to contribute next year have gained as much experience as possible.

Another quick note which could appear in it's own thread but doesn't warrant it. Are we thinking that if the season ended today, only 4 BIG teams would go dancing: Maryland, Ohio State, Michigan, Northwestern? Michigan State, Indiana and Penn State could still possibly play their way in. Northwestern could play its way out.

There's a reasonable chance only the top three squeeze into the NCAA. Before they lost to Iowa, Charlie Crème had Michigan State as the fourth. Any of the 6-5 B1G teams have a chance but someone seriously needs a winning streak. Otherwise it's just a jumble of mush.

Even if Gophers win this game, is there anyone who can think of a realistic way the gophers could win enough to at least be .500 and make WNIT? I'm thinking after Saturday there is a realistic chance they go 1-3 or 0-4. that means they will not even be WNIT eligible. if that comes true, im not sure about anybody else and how they feel, but marlene better be gone. just my two cents

They might have a shot to win the two remaining home games (Northwestern, Purdue), but it would surprise me if they win both. And WNIT...who would care? The only benefit I can see from any WNIT games would be more PT for the younger players, if Stollings would play these younger players. My feeling on WNIT games has always been that it's OK if a coach sits her seniors in favor of the younger players. As the season has gone along, I've continued to be surprised that the Gophers don't have a set rotation at this time of year. It's OK to be experimenting with lineups during the non-conference schedule, but to be doing that this late in the season is really questionable, IMO. I'm also a Gopher men's fan and I love the rotation that Pitino has set up. He made a mid-season change in the starting lineup with Springs instead of McBrayer but that's about the only major change he's made. I like that and I think the players like knowing what their roles are and will be, every game. With the Gopher women's team, it seems we never know who is starting except for Wagner and Bell. We never know if a player will get 25 minutes or 0 minutes (i.e.--Fernstrom vs. PSU). I think that's tough on players. I really that Stollings is trying to find a winning combo, but I've also heard her say before that she likes different matchups against different teams. I wonder sometimes if she's trying to overthink that. And, re: Stollings gone, I am one of those in the Whalen and/or Peterson camp. I'm open to other options (i.e.--Ivey), but Coyle would have to get it right. The buyout is probably prohibitive to warrant a change at the end of this year, but we also have to remember that attendance (and public interest) continues to wane and if they brought in LW as head coach, I think it would spike interest tremendously. But, who knows, maybe LW isn't even interesting in coaching. I've never heard her say that she is.

Agree that this revolving door line up is not a winning formula. Hard to imagine that Coyle will pony up for her buyout but as a season ticket holder she is not the future. There are some good options but I am afraid we will have another year of run n gun with zero D. I have already been sending emails to Coyle asking him to take a critical look at this dying program. He has sent replies so if you have suggestions forward your ideas to him.

Wow, I was not prepared for how dreadful Rutgers is. Today, at least, they were foul-prone (CVS was actually playing two women who already had three fouls, less than halfway through the second quarter), turnover-prone, bad shot-prone and confusion-prone. CVS spent most of the game off the court, as if she'd lost the will to coach.

Rare, easy win for the maroon and gold. Solid games from Bell and Hubbard. Bell 11 of 12 on free throws. Nice to see Lamke and K. Bello get buckets in garbage time. Terrible effort from Rutgers. Northwestern next on Monday. Will be interesting to see what kind of frame of mind the Wildcats are in after getting whipped today at Indiana.

Rare, easy win for the maroon and gold. Solid games from Bell and Hubbard. Bell 11 of 12 on free throws. Nice to see Lamke and K. Bello get buckets in garbage time. Terrible effort from Rutgers. Northwestern next on Monday. Will be interesting to see what kind of frame of mind the Wildcats are in after getting whipped today at Indiana.

I thought Northwestern looked even worse today than Rutgers (although NW was playing a better team) and they'll be on their second road game in three days. In short: It would be an embarrassment if the Gophers don't win.

Rutgers: 28 fouls (2 DQs) and 19 turnovers.
Minnesota: 9 fouls and 12 turnovers.

C Vivian was late to the court before the game. Rutgers was late to the court and didn't warm up for the second half. And they were late to the court after a second half time-out (the referees put the ball in play before Rutgers got set. Rutgers was late most of the day.

Minutes Played (Starters in Bold)

33 Wagner
31 Hedstrom
31 Hubbard
29 Bell
20 Brunson

20 Edwards
13 T. Bello
7 Tinjum

7 Starr
4 Fernstrom
2 Kaposi
2 Lamke
1 K Bello

Nice to see Banham @ the barn. Rutgers as mentioned was awful and their bench was a morgue. Time to take care of the Wildcats Monday.

Top Bottom