A Homers Rant On Bad Ref-ing

watertown 1987 guy n

Reaction score
At times it seemed so bad last night that I was trying to anticipate the ways the refs could bail out Iowa. IA played a heck of a game, but one expects complete horse xhit calls to go both ways over the course of the game. Coffee, Mason are getting brused up and no calls. If this game had gone the other way I would be pissed! This really needs to stop. Great job of the players to put this game out of the reach of bad officiating.

Here's the deal. If we don't let the 1-3-1 press make us sh!t our pants in the 2nd half, officiating probably isn't a factor. We should have been in the position where officiating wouldn't help decide a close game.

Here's the deal. If we don't let the 1-3-1 press make us sh!t our pants in the 2nd half, officiating probably isn't a factor. We should have been in the position where officiating wouldn't help decide a close game.

This is true but doesn't change the fact that the officiating was bad. We got bailed out on the jump ball at the end of regulation, so I can't complain too much, but the refs still swung several points to Iowa with bad calls. Without those the 1-3-1 doesn't "get to us" quite as badly and we win in regulation.

This.

When you get double-digit leads, put teams away when you have the chance. In the first half Iowa looked like they were begging to get drilled. Step on the throat. That is Gophers' biggest issue. Almost bit 'em again last night, but to their credit they grinded one out.

Despite having the 14-point lead early in the second half, I left the building feeling like the Gophers stole one. That's a good feeling. Iowa was the aggressor in the second half. Have to win some of those type games.

To be fair, part of the reason the 1-3-1 became effective in that few minute span was directly because the refs swallowed their whistles and let Iowa do as they please while pressing

This is true but doesn't change the fact that the officiating was bad. We got bailed out on the jump ball at the end of regulation, so I can't complain too much, but the refs still swung several points to Iowa with bad calls. Without those the 1-3-1 doesn't "get to us" quite as badly and we win in regulation.

To me it does't even matter if we won in regulation or not. There were phantom calls both ways last night I am sure. One that was called on Coffey was particularly bad, but at the speed of the game I can understand it, I guess. What bothered me most was a non-call on what would have been Jok's 5th in OT. The refs had no problem calling the 5th fouls on Lynch and Murphy but on Jok they let it go on a couple of occasions including one that drew the attention of the broadcasters.

To be fair, the Gophers got a call. Murphy was out of bounds on the jump ball, and the kid appeared to have wanted a time out which they didn't give him.

It gets crappy though when a team can put a press on and attack a team physically and not get called for fouls.

I agree it was poorly officiated on both sides and was a pain to watch all those bad calls. But there are certainly other things that occurred in the game where this shouldn't have gone to double OT. Another would be leaving McBrayer in when he was clearly rattled by the 1-3-1 and had back-to-back turnovers. He almost had three in a row on three consecutive possessions. Iowa scored liked 11 or 12 points in under 1:30 of game time. It was like a 11 or 12-0 run. The handling of the 1-3-1 press was just as bad as the officiating, if not worse.

I am very, very happy with a lot of things I saw in the game though. Defense, Mason, Murph played outstanding, Lynch played well. A number of others too.

To be fair, part of the reason the 1-3-1 became effective in that few minute span was directly because the refs swallowed their whistles and let Iowa do as they please while pressing

Big Pitino supporter here.

I disagree with how he "attacked that zone".

Very static pass back and forth by the 2 guards, inch the ball across the line and make very weak moves across the line.

In my experience it's either attack it through the middle or over the top. Don't dribble through a 1-3-1, especially with our slight/not confident ball handlers. Mason should have been the only one to "dribble through" that press and was really the only one that could. Coffey, DuPree are to weak and Springs isn't a good enough ball handler to deal with the contact.

Knowing that they were swallowing the whistle we needed to do something different. I would have put Curry as the 5 and put Curry and Muphy behind the wings, make their big in the back make a decision and try to get that pass over the top to break the press. Or use a similar action to our wonderful 2-3 zone breaker and get the athletic wings moving in and out of the middle.

This was the one major gripe I had as well. It was clear the press rattled us but the refs were also letting them be extremely physical with the defense and our guys were getting mauled on a few of those plays with no calls.

But to echo the sentiment of others the calls were poor both ways all game.

The refs were allowing way too much contact on the press.

That being said, they were consistently not calling fouls on the press all game long. Pitino knew that. At some point, he needs to stop complaining about it and find a way to work around it. If they didn't call a foul the first 10 times, don't expect them to call it the 11th.

This.

When you get double-digit leads, put teams away when you have the chance. In the first half Iowa looked like they were begging to get drilled. Step on the throat. That is Gophers' biggest issue. Almost bit 'em again last night, but to their credit they grinded one out.

Despite having the 14-point lead early in the second half, I left the building feeling like the Gophers stole one. That's a good feeling. Iowa was the aggressor in the second half. Have to win some of those type games.

Step on their throat, etc etc.

All the rhetoric does not change the fact that ref's alter the outcome of games, big time. It seems ref's are incapable of being consistent with calls. It really should not be that difficult.

The refs were allowing way too much contact on the press.

That being said, they were consistently not calling fouls on the press all game long. Pitino knew that. At some point, he needs to stop complaining about it and find a way to work around it. If they didn't call a foul the first 10 times, don't expect them to call it the 11th.

By rule, were they fouls? If so, they should have been called.

This 'short ref crew' has been horrible all year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definition of a foul: The ref blows his (or her) whistle and calls "foul". That's a foul. No whistle - no foul.

This 'short ref crew' has been horrible all year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree. Terry Wymer used to be one of the best in the B10. I think he's lost his vision or something. Awful calls every game, and then he usually comes up with makeup call.

Agree. Terry Wymer used to be one of the best in the B10. I think he's lost his vision or something. Awful calls every game, and then he usually comes up with makeup call.

Wymer is "ok", the other 2 are consistently horrible and I have no idea where they found these guys. How about the one where the Iowa player leaves his feet to shoot, realize he's going to get blocked so "dribbles" while in mid air. Ref who is right there let's it go and the other guy has to run across the court to call it 2 seconds after the fact. I mean that's something Junior High referees know is a violation. Multiple head-scratchers throughout the game.....Murphy's 5th may be the worst call I've ever seen, just pure anticipation by the official and ends up being a textbook blocked shot.

Very frustrating how bad and inconsistent it's gotten the past few years, and it's not just the Big Ten it's all of college basketball. One half no calls, next half both teams in double bonus 4:00 into the half.......ok rant over.

Top Bottom