What is it with basketball coaches?

37score

Reaction score
Baseball = slow pace game. Manager just sits in dugout, and maybe three times a game, gets up to say something. Never yelling despite players being 200 feet away.

Football = Some coaches are animated, others less so. Animation happens usually after a bad call or a bonehead play by a player. Somewhat fast paced game.

Hockey = Fast paced game. Rink is similar size to a basketball court. Most coaches seem to just stand there, and talk with players who are sitting on the bench.

Soccer = Fast paced game with no stopping even through injuries. Some coaches are animated, but most are not. Usually only yelling after bad ref calls or no-calls regarding yellow cards and red cards / fouls.

Basketball = Fast paced. Small court. Seems as if all the coaches are constantly moving, constantly on their feet walking up and down the sidelines and walking on the court. Many seem to be constantly yelling at their players to do something.

Why is basketball so different in this. Seems as if there are very few coaches who talk to the player during timeouts and then just sit back and let them play. (Maybe John Wooden did). What is it about basketball that makes a coach need to be this demonstrative about every possession? Is it the great amount of foul calls and non-calls that make them feel like they need to micromanage every play? And is it effective?

There are other sports with lots of communication:

Baseball - managers don't just stand in the dugout chewing tobacco and adjusting. They send out signals to the catcher, how to align the defense, when to send the runners, tell the batter when to take or swing away, and they get to talk to their players for every half inning. No need to yell to players as they have signals for all of their calls.

Football - Signals to send in plays and radio equipped quarterback helmets enable quiet conversation to team. And they cover their mouths to hide lip readers for Patriots.

Hockey - not much need to yell at players when most lines are only on the ice for a minute and a half at a time.

Soccer - You can't call time outs and the field is freaking huge! No coach is going to try to scream instructions across a pitch. I've seen High School coaches sit like statues watching games.

Basketball - Small court is the key. Every possession they run right by the coach and he can tell them what offense he wants or what defense they should run. Coaches can try to correct players making mistakes as well. In short, they don't micromanage any more than Belicheat. They are just more noticeable.

Many coaches have to get their 10,000 steps in for their health insurance.

Baseball - managers don't just stand in the dugout chewing tobacco and adjusting. They send out signals to the catcher, how to align the defense, when to send the runners, tell the batter when to take or swing away, and they get to talk to their players for every half inning. No need to yell to players as they have signals for all of their calls.

Football - Signals to send in plays and radio equipped quarterback helmets enable quiet conversation to team. And they cover their mouths to hide lip readers for Patriots.

Hockey - not much need to yell at players when most lines are only on the ice for a minute and a half at a time.

Soccer - You can't call time outs and the field is freaking huge! No coach is going to try to scream instructions across a pitch. I've seen High School coaches sit like statues watching games.

Basketball - Small court is the key. Every possession they run right by the coach and he can tell them what offense he wants or what defense they should run. Coaches can try to correct players making mistakes as well. In short, they don't micromanage any more than Belicheat. They are just more noticeable.

Good points.

I've only coached soccer, and I've seen coaches try to coach the kids on the field, and it's distracting. Hard for the players to play while being addressed by the coaches.
Seems like (from watching on tv only) that some of these coaches are going a little crazy and it makes me wonder if they don't trust their players more and if there is much constructive really taking place. If they were really that effective coaching each time down the floor, why are such bad shots being taken at times.

Good points.

I've only coached soccer, and I've seen coaches try to coach the kids on the field, and it's distracting. Hard for the players to play while being addressed by the coaches.
Seems like (from watching on tv only) that some of these coaches are going a little crazy and it makes me wonder if they don't trust their players more and if there is much constructive really taking place. If they were really that effective coaching each time down the floor, why are such bad shots being taken at times.

Because you can't coach out ego. Most college players have had smoke blown up their ass by AAU types for years and feel they know what a good shot is. That is why Coffey is such a rare and welcome Freshman!

Actually screaming instructions, tactical movements, etc is quite common in soccer. Watch the EPL this weekend and you'll see Pop Guardiola gesticulating like a madman, Jurgen Klopp running around in animated fashion, etc.

Top Bottom