Wisconsin and Indiana.....

Reaction score
I don't like Mr. Clapping Hands" , but Indiana getting jobbed on the officiating.

Indiana caught the short end of it but i often wonder why we never hear the winning fans say "yes, the officials totally made us win that game " Complaining about the officiating is for losers. Many Badger fans complained endlessly after the championship loss to Duke. I simply went with we had our chances. Indiana has injuries but they have a wealth of high level recruits , but one average coach. The Gophers will finish ahead of of IU and have a real shot at 4th.

Indiana caught the short end of it but i often wonder why we never hear the winning fans say "yes, the officials totally made us win that game " Complaining about the officiating is for losers. Many Badger fans complained endlessly after the championship loss to Duke. I simply went with we had our chances. Indiana has injuries but they have a wealth of high level recruits , but one average coach. The Gophers will finish ahead of of IU and have a real shot at 4th.

Not complaining about it, but Wisconsin got the " Benny's"

The Gophers will finish ahead of of IU and have a real shot at 4th.[/QUOTE]

I'd say 4th is out of reach, don't see them getting past NW @ 7-3. I'd say if they can compete with MSU for 5th spot that would be best upside for conference finish.

I don't care where we finish honestly. I just want a tournament bid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am completely convinced that the Gophers will get a bid. I have now seen every team in person and several practices as well.

Crean is now 2-15 against Wisconsin, I believe. That can't be sitting well with the Hoosier faithful.

No one gets calls like Wisconsin at home. It's pathetic to watch. Their home record in the B1G in the Kohl Center is absurd. Yes, they've been very good. But not that good.

The Gophers will finish ahead of of IU and have a real shot at 4th.

I'd say 4th is out of reach, don't see them getting past NW @ 7-3. I'd say if they can compete with MSU for 5th spot that would be best upside for conference finish.[/QUOTE]

NW's schedule gets a whole lot tougher now

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Will be interesting to see if WI can keep up this level of success when most of Bo Ryan's players have graduated.

I think that Wisconsin can be better under Gard than they were under Ryan, and I finally accepted that Bo Ryan was an ELITE coach about three years ago.

Gard is very flexible, very smart and just an all around good coach. As long as they can identify the right kind of player for what they know will work they will be very tough. Gard might be able to bring some better athletes as he keeps winning, as Bo may have been to little too rigid for some recruits.

It is funny that Barry Alvarez butted heads with Ryan on whether or not Gard should succeed him, and Bo won the that battle by quitting mid-season and then Gard proved himself to be worthy.

No one gets calls like Wisconsin at home. It's pathetic to watch. Their home record in the B1G in the Kohl Center is absurd. Yes, they've been very good. But not that good.

These are always fun posts to read. The great Wisconsin officiating conspiracy!

I still think Wisconsin gets away with moving under the offensive player who is driving to the hoop and flopping, and riding into a post player who is shooting and not getting called for the foul In both cases the players hold their hands up in the air line they were just standing there the whole time!

The officials gave UW the calls for years in the BT, and that explains why Bo went so crazy when the in the NCAA tourn. he did not get those calls. Regardless the almost won it all

You realize that Greg Gard was the person that did the recruiting, right?

Really? So Bo had absolutely nothing to do with recruiting? Gard made all the calls on which players to recruit and accept commitments from first? Bo Ryan never did in-home recruiting visits? All the past players picked Wisconsin because they wanted to play for the incredible assistant Greg Gard?

So Bo would say, “Gard! Go find me some players! I’ll be getting a massage if you need me.” ;)

Hey, I certainly won’t bet against Gard if he continues to follow Bo’s general playbook. But I think it’s a little absurd to act like Bo Ryan had no impact on recruiting and Gard was solely responsible for putting together all of Wisconsin’s teams over Ryan’s tenure. Happ may be your best player but Gard has 4 seniors this year keeping the ship nice and stable. When they are gone, I’ll be curious to see who besides Happ (and maybe Trice and Iverson) produces for them. Your bench sure hasn’t shown much this year. Incoming freshmen are a major unknowns. Will Wisconsin continue to be dominant or start having some mediocre years mixed in?

(And yes, if Ryan was still coach, I wouldn't even ask that last question. But he's not.)

^ with the 4 seniors moving on next year from WI you can sense a pretty large shift in the pecking order. Hopefully it bears out.

^ with the 4 seniors moving on next year from WI you can sense a pretty large shift in the pecking order. Hopefully it bears out.

Oh yes the famous UW loses " " so now they will be rebuilding and will not make the NCAA and will suck post. thank you for participating.

Really? So Bo had absolutely nothing to do with recruiting? Gard made all the calls on which players to recruit and accept commitments from first? Bo Ryan never did in-home recruiting visits? All the past players picked Wisconsin because they wanted to play for the incredible assistant Greg Gard?

So Bo would say, “Gard! Go find me some players! I’ll be getting a massage if you need me.” ;)

Hey, I certainly won’t bet against Gard if he continues to follow Bo’s general playbook. But I think it’s a little absurd to act like Bo Ryan had no impact on recruiting and Gard was solely responsible for putting together all of Wisconsin’s teams over Ryan’s tenure. Happ may be your best player but Gard has 4 seniors this year keeping the ship nice and stable. When they are gone, I’ll be curious to see who besides Happ (and maybe Trice and Iverson) produces for them. Your bench sure hasn’t shown much this year. Incoming freshmen are a major unknowns. Will Wisconsin continue to be dominant or start having some mediocre years mixed in?

(And yes, if Ryan was still coach, I wouldn't even ask that last question. But he's not.)

Greg Gard has the highest winning Pct. in the BIG history right now. Number 2 is Bo Ryan.
He is also the lead recruiter in all those years with Bo. How can you with a straight face say that this does not mean anything. He has Reuvers, Davidson, and King in 2017 a pretty good top 100 group. Recruits seem to really love him. Now that he is the HC and likes to recruit(Unlike Ryan) I would say that your Schadenfreude is way misplaced..I would not trade recruits coming in with MN.

It's been a long and painful learning process, but I've been forced to realize that predicting the demise of Wisconsin sports is a fools errand. They've created a rock solid formula for winning in football and basketball that's transcended coaches and players for the better part of 25 years now. As Gophers fans we don't have to like it, but we're idiots if we don't acknowledge it and admit the end of that roll is nowhere in sight.

Oh yes the famous UW loses " " so now they will be rebuilding and will not make the NCAA and will suck post. thank you for participating.

Falcons fan?... in simple terms, they are losing 4 senior starters... this seems to represent an opportunity for the Gophers to become more competitive / surpass them. It's not conspiratorial - thanks.

It's been a long and painful learning process, but I've been forced to realize that predicting the demise of Wisconsin sports is a fools errand. They've created a rock solid formula for winning in football and basketball that's transcended coaches and players for the better part of 25 years now. As Gophers fans we don't have to like it, but we're idiots if we don't acknowledge it and admit the end of that roll is nowhere in sight.

I'll give you that football transcends coaches... Basketball Bo Ryan was really the only good coach they have had in the last 80 years. Afterall Dick Bennet was 39-45 in the BIG and before that you have to go back to 1934 to get to a Wisc. coach who ended his career with a winning conference record. As such I think it is fair to question how Gard will handle it. You could argue Bud Foster was good as he won a National championship but most of us don't know who that is and his last 5 seasons were under 0.500 overall.

I'll give you that football transcends coaches... Basketball Bo Ryan was really the only good coach they have had in the last 80 years. Afterall Dick Bennet was 39-45 in the BIG and before that you have to go back to 1934 to get to a Wisc. coach who ended his career with a winning conference record. As such I think it is fair to question how Gard will handle it. You could argue Bud Foster was good as he won a National championship but most of us don't know who that is and his last 5 seasons were under 0.500 overall.

Dick Bennett took them to a Final Four in 2000. He handed the baton to Ryan (2 more Final Fours) who handed it to Gard.

Greg Gard has the highest winning Pct. in the BIG history right now. Number 2 is Bo Ryan.
He is also the lead recruiter in all those years with Bo. How can you with a straight face say that this does not mean anything. He has Reuvers, Davidson, and King in 2017 a pretty good top 100 group. Recruits seem to really love him. Now that he is the HC and likes to recruit(Unlike Ryan) I would say that your Schadenfreude is way misplaced..I would not trade recruits coming in with MN.

And how much of that win percentage is being bolstered by how mediocre/terrible the Big Ten is this year? Who in the Big Ten is even a serious final four contender? Wisconsin returned its entire team while everyone else relevant in the Big Ten lost numerous key players and starters. Wiscy winning the Big Ten title this year is the surest bet in basketball.

Hey, I am not predicting any kind of Wisconsin demise. But I don't think it's unreasonable to wonder if they can maintain a top tier finish next year with Happ and a bunch of unknown and unproven guys. The day will come when Wisconsin has a *gasp!* sixth or seventh place finish. I think you are underestimating how much experience your four seniors have by playing on those final four teams and practicing every day against the likes of Dekker and Kaminsky.

Having had such an impressive, extended era of Wisconsin basketball, I find it amusing how sensitive you Badger fans are to comments made over here on little ol' Gopherhole. ;)

The Badgers aren't going anywhere, nor is Michigan State. They've been the standard-bearers in the Big Ten for a long time (certainly since 2000), and I don't see that changing anytime soon. The Gopher program's challenge right now first is to get to the point where we're finishing in the top 5 or 6 of the conference every year. That likely means you're getting NCAA bids.

When we do that for 2-3 years a row, then I'll set my sights on Madison and East Lansing (and maybe College Park). Hopefully until then along the way the Gophers get the best of the Badgers and Spartans a few times, starting with March 5. Would be an awesome springboard into Championship Week.

Dick Bennett took them to a Final Four in 2000. He handed the baton to Ryan (2 more Final Fours) who handed it to Gard.

Wisonsin was 8-8 in the BIG that final four year and they finished 6th out of 11 teams. The next year Bennet tried to do what Ryan was sucessful at doing and hand it off to his top assistant Brad Soderberg who went 16-10 (9-7) and wasn't retained. Bo Ryan's first year as head coach he had a better BIG record(by percent) than any year under Bennet.

I mean they were pretty bad for the first half of last season, losing 4 games to non-NIT teams, 3 of them at home. Then Bo quit and it got better.

Top Bottom