STrib: Sam Mitchell wants to make the 'back to school' move and coach in college

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

Before Sam Mitchell took his first NBA assistant coaching job with the Milwaukee Bucks in 2002, close friends and mentors told him college coaching would probably suit him the best.

For years, Mitchell would run a free camp through his youth foundation in his hometown of Columbus, Ga.

"(Hall of Fame coach) Larry Brown used to say it all the time if I ride by a basketball court and there are 10 or more kids out there, I'm going to coach," Mitchell said. "I enjoy working with younger guys."

Mitchell, who was the Timberwolves interim coach last season, is ready for a change after more than a decade in the NBA. He noticed the trend of former NBA players and coaches making a transition to college basketball.

He sees now that the college game would be a good fit for him.

"My experience in Minnesota with Karl-Anthony Towns, Zach LaVine and Andrew Wiggins helped," said Mitchell, 53. "We got them when they were 19 years old and one year removed from college. It's no different, if you enjoy coaching, if you enjoy being around younger people and you enjoy trying to help them figure it out and get to that next level."

http://www.startribune.com/sam-mitc...ve-and-coach-in-college-basketball/412564983/

Go Gophers!!

Makes sense. Sam is definitely the bullying, over the top screamer type of coach, so that fits more with the college mold.

Top Bottom