Game 8: Gophers Hoset Ohio State (1-26-17)

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
Midway:

In their last outing, the Buckeyes (7-1) knocked down 15 three pointers in 33 attempts sending the Illini back to Champaign with an 88-64 loss. Kelsey Mitchell was 6-12 from behind the arc and paced Ohio State with 22 points and 6 assists.

Ohio State’s only B1G loss came in a rather lackluster effort at East Lansing. The Buckeyes never led and Kelsey Mitchell finished with 13 points on 4-18 shooting (1-7 from three). Following the loss, Kevin McGuff has experimented with various starting lineups and in-game combo’s. While the Buckeyes have sputtered from time to time they’ve kept winning.

In the season’s first match-up with Minnesota (2-5), the Buckeyes used a couple of early scoring runs taking full advantage of Minnesota’s 1-10 early game shooting slump. Wagner finished 5-23 for 12 points and Hubbard did not play because of mono. In her first game, Fernstrom played 19 minutes, scored 12 points and collected 10 rebounds before fouling out. And, yes, the Gophers committed 24 turnovers (6 by Bell who had 14 points and 5 assists and 5 by Tinjum who also grabbed 10 rebounds).

B1G wins: Minnesota, 87-62; @ Indiana, 92-82; @ Northwestern, 94-87; Michgan, 96-87; @ Purdue, 61-56; Wisconsin, 70-61; Illinois, 88-64.

B1G loss: @ Michigan State, 94-75.

Starters B1G Stats:

Shayla Cooper: 6’2” F Sr (5.9 points/game) (21.3 minutes/game)
Stephanie Mavunga: 6’3” F Jr (9.6 points and 10.9 rebounds) (20.6 minutes)
Sierra Calhoun: 6’0” G So. (7.5 points) (19.8 minutes)
Kelsey Mitchell: 5’8” G Jr. (23.3 points) (35.9 minutes)
Kiara Lewis: 5’8” G Fr (7.4) (18.4 minutes)

Others:

Asia Doss: 5’7” G Jr (20.5 minutes)
Alexa Hart: 6’3” F Jr (13.8 minutes)

Certainly possible but remember this same team played MD close for most of the game. This has been a disappointing season so far but I hope they can rally and this would be a quality win.

Certainly possible but remember this same team played MD close for most of the game. This has been a disappointing season so far but I hope they can rally and this would be a quality win.

Well they did keep it reasonably close and out scored OSU in the 1st and 3rd periods. Wagner with a big night and 34 points.

Kelsey Mitchell started the game wearing a mask. Later, she discarded it and set about stealing the game fully recognized. Actually, I think Shayla Cooper was the main culprit. Cooper chose tonight to go 8-10 from the field (her 12 foot jumper was back). Carlie was terrific and Taiye Bello, after missing an uncontested layup turned in a very promising performance spending time at both the 4 and 5. Bello played more minutes than any Gopher post.

It was half court game most of the night with both teams trying to drive the lane off screens. Thus, there were fouls and foul shots.
Good News: Unlike the game in Columbus, Minnesota handled the Buckeye pressure.

Starters:

Hedstrom
Fernstrom
Bell
Hubbard
Wagner

Minutes Played:

40 Wagner
39 Bell
37 Hubbard
34 Hedstrom
16 Taiye Bello
15 Fernstrom
14 Edwards
2 Lamke
1 Brunson
1 Starr
1 Tinjum

Gophers handled the press better because Gadiva Alston was the safety valve for Bell instead of unathletic Hedstrom. Much better.

Unfortunately on a night Wagner was hot again, Bell couldn't buy a bucket, and her decision-making.... is it ever good? I wish she could sense Wagner is hot and get the ball to her, instead of the coaching staff needing to tell her.

Fernstrom.... what a disappointment. Was expecting a key player. Was she in better shape at ISU?

Looks like Tinjum has fallen sharply out of favor and Barnes is on a milk carton.

Since they've given up on NCAA tourney, I hope Wagner can at least get a milestone 40-pt game. Where is she ranking in the career Gopher scoring?

Wagner was terrific. She ended up with 34. but the last 3 threes she took were all right on, but came out. Also, only one TO and 6 boards for Wagner. Bello certainly shows potential. I don't understand the 34 minutes for Hedstrom, who didn't contribute much tonight. Not much either from Fernstrom or Edwards. The Gopher guards were OK tonight, but the inside players (except for Bello) gave them nothing. Sparse crowd announced at 2896. Not a lot of interest in this year's version of the Gophers.

Stollings had minimal tolerance for errors and turnovers last night. Tinjum committed two fouls in 5 seconds and was out of there. Brunson committed 2 turnovers in 37 seconds (the second being an easy mid-court interception that Linnae Harper turned into a layup) and was returned to the bench. I'm not entirely sure what Starr's offense was; but she was quickly removed for a long conversation with Dawkins. I think Edwards time was probably impacted by her three turnovers.

Hedstrom's extended minutes were likely due to defense and of course that she can knock down a three. Unfortunately, last night, when Joanna got her "right in the wheelhouse" three opportunity at the end of the third quarter, it didn't go down. It would have cut the lead to three. It was from the corner opposite of her fourth quarter three versus Maryland which cut the Terp'slead to one. Defensively, the Gophers reduced OSU's three point opportunities and Hedstrom's height surely helped. Hedstrom also had three assists with one turnover and as Shades noted Hubbard took Hedstrom's place in press breaking which was good for all involved.

Almost sure that Starr was yanked because she didn't grab a rebound and opted instead to tap it out to the perimeter where OSU grabbed it. Yes, Stollings certainly had a short leash last night. Too short in my opinion. And 0 points and 5 rebounds in 34 minutes from Hedstrom doesn't merit the amount of PT she got. She plays hard and she plays smart, but this wasn't her night. Tinjum and/or Starr could have accomplished the same or more.

So guys what do you think on Stollings? I didn't watch the game last night, ( B1G Ten Plus ) so I'm going with what has been posted. I would give all the transfers a C grade. Coaching about the same. By in large the season is over with ( the dance ) You wonder if Stollings is putting the season on Wagner's back ( like Banham ) just to get enough wins and save her job? Just me,but I would be pushing more minutes for Bellos and Brunson.

Almost sure that Starr was yanked because she didn't grab a rebound and opted instead to tap it out to the perimeter where OSU grabbed it. Yes, Stollings certainly had a short leash last night. Too short in my opinion. And 0 points and 5 rebounds in 34 minutes from Hedstrom doesn't merit the amount of PT she got. She plays hard and she plays smart, but this wasn't her night. Tinjum and/or Starr could have accomplished the same or more.

Yes, I think you're right about Starr and the tapped out rebound.

In looking at the schedule, I'm thinking that the Gophers still have a slight chance to finish 8-8 in the conference. The schedule makers did the Gophers no favors with the early season schedule. But with any future unexpected losses, I'm thinking that it will be time to make sure that Brunson and Bello get a lot more playing time, so they have more experience going into next year. That should come at the expense of Hedstrom, Starr, and Tinjum. Not sure how secure Stollings' job is. Those are probably decisions best made after the season. This team still has a chance to rally and post a respectable season, but they sure don't look like an NCAA tourney team. They are still relatively young, however what concerns me is that a lot of the young players are not getting much playing time and they may not even be talented enough to take this team anywhere next year. (I don't believe that, but it's possible.) There are so many good underclassmen in the BIG this year, including a very good freshman class. It makes me wonder if the Gophers will have the chance to gain any ground, even next year with Pitts.

Bell had a decent game but does get out of control still. Broke to the basket a couple of times but was going so fast that she blew the layups. Bello had a good game as well, but missed 2 wide open layups too. Very disappointed in Fernstrom. Stollings has not recruited well here. Wagner, Banham and Amanda were all Boston recruits.

Once again I would like to point out that Banham and Wagner would of went to the University of Minnesota if a polar bear was their coach. Borton gets 0.01% credit for getting them IMO. Secondly I would take T.Bello, Hubbard, Brunson and Shae Kelley over the Masteys, Cottons, Dvoraks and players like of that caliber that Borton brought in just an FYI.

Looking at positive, I for one think Bell has done a fantastic job taking care of the ball since the awful Michigan game. I think as a team the Gophers have been rather good at keeping low turnovers since that game.

my biggest beef:

Hedstrom-35 minutes, Fernstrom-14 minutes, Edwards-15 Minutes and Tinjum-1 minute....are you kidding me? in what world will Hedstrom out muscle or out jump Cooper or Mavunga for rebounds. I was fine with T.Bello playing due to her activity but we needed a bigger body or more offensive firepower with her in the post than Hedstrom gave. I will never understand Stollings fascination with Hedstrom. I don't see it. I could see her as a 8th or 9th player in rotation as a spark off the bench.

Bell had a decent game but does get out of control still. Broke to the basket a couple of times but was going so fast that she blew the layups. Bello had a good game as well, but missed 2 wide open layups too. Very disappointed in Fernstrom. Stollings has not recruited well here. Wagner, Banham and Amanda were all Boston recruits.

Once again I would like to point out that Banham and Wagner would of went to the University of Minnesota if a polar bear was their coach. Borton gets 0.01% credit for getting them IMO. Secondly I would take T.Bello, Hubbard, Brunson and Shae Kelley over the Masteys, Cottons, Dvoraks and players like of that caliber that Borton brought in just an FYI.

Looking at positive, I for one think Bell has done a fantastic job taking care of the ball since the awful Michigan game. I think as a team the Gophers have been rather good at keeping low turnovers since that game.

my biggest beef:

Hedstrom-35 minutes, Fernstrom-14 minutes, Edwards-15 Minutes and Tinjum-1 minute....are you kidding me? in what world will Hedstrom out muscle or out jump Cooper or Mavunga for rebounds. I was fine with T.Bello playing due to her activity but we needed a bigger body or more offensive firepower with her in the post than Hedstrom gave. I will never understand Stollings fascination with Hedstrom. I don't see it. I could see her as a 8th or 9th player in rotation as a spark off the bench.

Hedstrom is like a taller Bailey, and her minutes were maddening too.

Top Bottom