B1G Game 6: Gophers Host Illinois (1-18-17)

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
Champaign Flukes?

After defeating Nebraska Sunday in Champaign, Illinois stood 3-2 in conference play. Taking advantage of a favorable schedule, the Illini have topped last season’s 2-16 conference record (both wins were against the Badgers and helped push Bobbie Kelsey out the door). Considering all the defections and season ending injuries of the last two seasons, this qualifies as a good start.

The Illini are not a particularly good team at home and even worse on the road. However, a Minnesota club baffled by the Michigan triad of Thome, Flaherty and Gondrezick will face a scaled down Illini version of the same style attack run by Wittinger, Holesinska and Beasley. Wittinger, a sophomore, we remember from last season’s 27 point performance at Williams Arena. Holesinska (noted streaky three point shooter) and Beasley are freshmen.

Wittinger is very active offensively and defensively. She’s one of those players who rarely gets discouraged. Also, as the season progressed, Matt Bollant (who many of us expect to get the ax at the end of the season (he’s 22-51 in the B1G)) developed a backup for Wittinger in Ali Andrews. Defensively, there are remnants of the “Buzz” defense and Illinois tries to disrupt. The Illini are grabbing 7.6 steals per game in B1G play; although it should be noted that 15 of those steals were in the win versus Iowa.

From the Illini Nebraska win:

http://assets.news-gazette.com/spor...i-win-blowout-thanks-hot-second-half-shooting

Early in the fourth quarter, with Illinois leading by 12, freshman Ali Andrews put the visitors away. She scored nine points in a 2:15 stretch, hitting two three-pointers.

“It felt great,” Andrews said. “I give all the credit to Brandi and Petra and all the other guards.”
Andrews had a conventional three-point play, making a twisting shot while being fouled.

“Ali had some clutch moments,” Wittinger said. “I think I lost my mind when she hit that and-one.”

Bollant wants inside players Wittinger and Andrews to be confident shooting from the perimeter.

“It makes it really hard to guard,” Bollant said. “It’s fun for Alex to have another post player playing well and making plays. They cheer for each other.”

B1G record:

B1G Wins: Iowa, 70-65; Rutgers, 78-41; Nebraska, 79-59

B1G Losses: @ Michigan State, 71-47; @ Iowa, 78-58

Last Season:

In Champaign, the Gophers rained down the threes while crushing Illinois 106-75. Banham scored 39 and was 10-15 from three (Minnesota was 19-39 from behind the arc).

In the Williams Arena return match, Minnesota trailed by as many as 18 including being down 45-29 at the half. A 53 point second half Gopher rally produced an 82-77 victory. Banham scored 27 (18 in the fourth quarter). Wagner chipped in 16. The Illini’s Wittinger 27 points came on 12-18 shooting.

Starters with B1G Stats:

Petra Holesinska: 5’9” G Fr (14.0 points/game and 5 rebounds/game) (30.4 minutes/game)
Brandi Beasley: 5’6” G Fr (12.6 p/g and 5.8 r/g) (34.4 minutes)
Alex Wittinger: 6’1” F So. (14.4 p/g and 7 r/g) (30.4 minutes)
Kennedy Cattenhead: 5’10” G Jr. (7.2 r/g) (23.4 minutes)
Jaelyne Kirkpatrick: 5’7” G So. (5.0 p/G) (32.4 minutes)

Others:

Ali Andrews: 6’2” F So. (8.4 p/G) (21.6 minutes)
Courtney Joens: 5’10” G Fr. (3.5 p/g) (15.6) Yes it is pronounced Jones and is spelled Joens.

Wittinger, from Delano, has turned herself into a good college player and she is only a sophomore. The Illini are without a true post player and I would expect for both Edwards and Fernstrom to score some points against the Illini. Holesinska has been a "good get" for the Illini. She's a decent 3-point shooter and the Gophers will have to make sure she doesn't get open looks. This team hasn't been as terrible as I thought they'd be, but they're still one of the bottom 4 teams in the BIG. Not sure if Bollant will keep his job at the end of the year, but if this team can show some improvement as the year progresses, maybe he'll have a shot to keep his job. The loss of Chatrice White put him on the hot seat.

I think this may be a closer game than some people think as Illinois has been playing better of late. My one hope from tonights game is that we show some grit and fight. Not allowing so many 2nd chances, improved body language, willingness to defend penetration, finishing at the rim - the Michigan game was pretty pathetic in regards to our willingness to compete. Tonight is big - it could be the needed positive start to something. If we falter tonight I hate to think what it could mean for the rest of the season.

Nice rebounding and passing early on, but not hitting shots.

Edwards is definitely the center of choice today

Gophers outrebound smaller Illini by 18. Good games for Wagner, Bell, and Edwards. Hubbard still trying to get it going after coming back from mono. She was only 2 of 11 from 3, but was able to play a lot and contributed 15 points. Hedstrom with 9 boards, Bell with 9 assists. Wittinger for Illini with a great game . Hawkeyes next for the Gophers in Iowa. Gophers will be underdogs against a beatable Iowa team.

http://www.fightingillini.com/boxscore.aspx?path=wbball&id=12532

It was a solid effort outscoring Illinois by quarters 10, 6, 4, and 8.

The Illini did not match up with Bell in the second half and Kenisha scored 16 of her 19 points.
The Gophers forced the action and were rewarded with 16-22 performance from the foul line (Illinois was 6-8)
Three point shooting was poor tonight: Minnesota was 6-27 with some good looks and Illinois was 2-17 partly because Minnesota defended more aggressively on the perimiter.

Illinois played man for a while in the first half; but it was too easy for Minnesota to take the ball inside.
The Illini briefly tried a press in the second half and it immediately caused a turnover. But Illinois just isn't able to keep the pressure on.
Bollant tried playing both his bigs at the same time; but couldn't get an advantage.

The top Gopher rebounders: Hedstrom 9, Edwards 8, Fernstrom 7, Wagner 7, Tinjum 6 and Bell 5.

Starters

Wagner
Bell
Hubbard
Fernstrom
Hedstrom

Minutes Played

36 Wagner
32 Hubbard
29 Bell
25 Hedstrom (9 rebounds)
22 Edwards (8 rebounds)
17 Fernstrom
16 Tinjum
11 Brunson
8 Starr
3 T. Bello
1 Lamke

I swear Ignatius is the anti-Wagner. She had 7 rebounds. Worthy of note.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-baskbl/recaps/011817aae.html

[Stollings] On fitting Bryanna Fernstrom into the line up for Big Ten play...

"Bry started for us tonight and we're going to keep giving her more and more minutes to get her legs under her and getting her used to playing. We're really looking to her to produce out there. She has to log more and more game minutes to get comfortable out there. We're working really hard with her at practice. At any moment she could turn the corner for us and give us some more scoring. We really want her to score more. She's doing well blocking shots and things like that, but we really want her to score more for us."

Quotes from Stollings:

"We really made it a point of emphasis to take care of the ball. In particular, Kenisha took it to heart. She had a good game with only four turnovers tonight. We're okay with that number for her. We worked with her in practice, we watched video."

I almost get the feeling they're reading the board. Remember my post about benching Bell if she goes over 4 unforced turnovers?

"Aside from that, they played a lot of zone, which gave us a lot of space to move the ball."

What's this, Stollings is recognizing a weakness in the zone defense?

"Bry started for us tonight and we're going to keep giving her more and more minutes to get her legs under her and getting her used to playing. We're really looking to her to produce out there. She has to log more and more game minutes to get comfortable out there. We're working really hard with her at practice. At any moment she could turn the corner for us and give us some more scoring. We really want her to score more. She's doing well blocking shots and things like that, but we really want her to score more for us."

All this sounds familiar.

Carle Wagner:
"I'm more confident after the last couple games. The hoop seems to be getting bigger to me, for some reason. Just letting things fly. Not playing so hesitantly. I think my teammates are doing a good job of getting me open and setting me screens and setting me up for plays."

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-baskbl/recaps/011817aae.html

Bell had a better game and another great game from Wagner. If that continues the team will continue to play well. The big girls have to remain aggressive.

Illinois was a well-timed patsy.

The Gophers did look improved, and I don't think it was all because of Illinois being bad. Nice passing and less forcing up bad shots. Still a lot of me-ball 1 on 5 drives by Bell, but at least she was hitting them. More effort on rebounding. At around the 1:16 left of the Q3 mark, Wagner gets a rebound stolen from her and she's like "give me that back". It's the kind of "playing angry" that's always been missing from her game. She's the strongest, most fit player on the floor and it really showed in this game. No complaints about the defense either. Improved perimeter pressure. More effort on jumping passing lanes and getting deflections. Basically everything I wanted to see improve got better with this game.

Now let's see if they can put together this kind of effort on the road against a better team. Looking forward to the next game.

Is anyone else really impressed with how far Jessie Edwards has progressed in her time as a gopher. that pump-fake to a drive for an and-1 is something I never would of guessed from her a year ago. I really like how solid and dependable she seems to be this year.

The quote on Fernstrom. "She needs to get her legs under her" WTF, She's been practicing with the time all along. Sorry , not buying it. Edwards is miles ahead of her.

Is anyone else really impressed with how far Jessie Edwards has progressed in her time as a gopher. that pump-fake to a drive for an and-1 is something I never would of guessed from her a year ago. I really like how solid and dependable she seems to be this year.

To me she's the most under-appreciated player on the team. Barnes has completely disappeared, so maybe she might more under-appreciated, but not sure what's going on with her situation.

She's much better at finishing strong at the hoop. Last year, at times, she seemed to flip the ball at the rim. The pump fake was nice and it's good to see her seal her defender and call for the ball.

Top Bottom