Will the Gophers break into the top 25 after the big win at Purdue?

Cobra

former west banker
Reaction score
I don't know for sure, but it would be great if they did.
They might need a couple more B1G wins with no losses...
Whadya think?

If they would have beat Mich St then yes I think they would have cracked the top 25. Now a road win at NW is needed.

Yes IMO. 24 or 25 in the AP poll. Unranked in the coaches.

Poll is released around noon, right?

I'll guess they will be the first or second team left out. Had they beat Michigan St, they would be top 20.

nobody at the lower end(20-25) of the top 25 lost a game. I don't think we'll get enough votes to overtake anyone but we'll get more votes than before.

I don't know for sure, but it would be great if they did.
They might need a couple more B1G wins with no losses...
Whadya think?

Just missed the top 25. Gophers received 56 votes in the AP poll.

Just missed the top 25. Gophers received 56 votes in the AP poll.
I just saw the AP top 25 on ESPN too.
OK, so top 26!
I'm OK with that...

Florida St up to #12. Purdue dropped to just #20.

Dang, so close. Another 2 game week, so we'll probably have to win both to crack the Top 25.

I'm glad they aren't ranked yet. I'd rather see the Gophers beat Northwestern (and OSU) before we talk rankings. Pitino is 1-4 against Collins.

Cautiously optimistic.

I'm glad they aren't ranked yet. I'd rather see the Gophers beat Northwestern (and OSU) before we talk rankings. Pitino is 1-4 against Collins.

Cautiously optimistic.
A bit disappointing seeing them unranked, but unranked this early in the year is not a bad place either. Keeps a chip on the old shoulder.

Part of the problem the the preseason polls. Due to last year.....we were expected to be trash and were ranked as such. We had to make up a lot of ground that other teams did not. 13-2 with losses against FSU and MSU and a road win against Purdue would be enough for most teams to be ranked.

29th in the Coaches Poll with only 9 votes.....

Part of the problem the the preseason polls. Due to last year.....we were expected to be trash and were ranked as such. We had to make up a lot of ground that other teams did not. 13-2 with losses against FSU and MSU and a road win against Purdue would be enough for most teams to be ranked.

29th in the Coaches Poll with only 9 votes.....

why do they even ask the coaches to rank teams mid season? It's not like they have time to watch games of teams not on their schedule (very often).

Make that #27 in the AP poll. There are two teams ranked #25 (both have 74 votes) - I don't think I've ever seen that before.

It's ridiculous they only have nine votes in coaches poll. Oh well, it's one week with a long season ahead. Just kind of dumb how much preseason rankings affect the rest of the season rankings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Am I missing something here? South Carolina has 23 votes in the coaches poll but not a single one in the AP?

It's ridiculous they only have nine votes in coaches poll. Oh well, it's one week with a long season ahead. Just kind of dumb how much preseason rankings affect the rest of the season rankings.

The coaches poll is a joke in both basketball in football.

I wonder how often the head coach assigns an assistant to take care of the vote in the coaches poll. The assistant fills out the form, forwards to the HC, who sends it in.

Who cares about rankings at this point, so many games left. They'll be ranked accurately at the end of the season and that's when ranking actually matters.

Who cares about rankings at this point, so many games left. They'll be ranked accurately at the end of the season and that's when ranking actually matters.
True. But that basically meaningless number signifies relevance. Boosts both fan and potential recruit interest.

I wonder how often the head coach assigns an assistant to take care of the vote in the coaches poll. The assistant fills out the form, forwards to the HC, who sends it in.

Not even an assistant. It's managers. And they don't have time to do it/watch games either.

True. But that basically meaningless number signifies relevance. Boosts both fan and potential recruit interest.

Meh, I remember several years with Tubby where we were near the top 10 in the country around the start of Big Ten play...didn't seem to improve recruiting in any tangible way. I'm confident this team can be a top 25 level team in March, I'm not gonna worry where they are ranked until then.

I thought most schools have their basketball SDI handle the ballot.

I'm not sure what most teams do. I know for certain a manager or two was involved at Minnesota in the mid 2000s.

Regardless, they don't know, they don't watch games as much as you would need to make an objective vote.

Even more bizarre is Lunardi. Last week ha had Gophers 28, and this week, after beating Purdue, he has them 29. Don't get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom