A breakthrough win for Richard Pitino’s Gophers - Kendal Shell & Jamal Abu Shamala

GopherLady

Reaction score
A breakthrough win for Richard Pitino’s Gophers - Kendal Shell & Jamal Abu Shamala

weigh on the big upset, playing at Purdue, the differences between the coaches they played for, the impact the football scandal has on basketball and the U, and updates from them each.

It was great to have Kendall join Jamal and I, he really added a unique perspective. Please let us know what you think, and if you have any questions you'd want us to address in the next podcast!

<a class="embedly-card" href="http://www.1500espn.com/gopherhole-2/2017/01/breakthrough-win-richard-pitinos-gophers-ep-11/">A breakthrough win for Richard Pitino's Gophers (ep. 11) - 1500 ESPN Twin Cities</a><script async src="//cdn.embedly.com/widgets/platform.js" charset="UTF-8"></script>

With Jamal and Kendal.jpg

Great Podcast Nadine, Kendal and Jamal. Very well done and timely!! I appreciate you taking the time to do these, they are great listens.

Go Gophers!!

Well done, Nadine. Thanks. Great insight by the guys about getting the current players mentors who have been there before to share wisdom about the risks and potential pitfalls of being a high profile athlete. The unspoken word is that it is not being done now which shocks me.

Well done, Nadine. Thanks. Great insight by the guys about getting the current players mentors who have been there before to share wisdom about the risks and potential pitfalls of being a high profile athlete. The unspoken word is that it is not being done now which shocks me.
I suspect it is all about time and resources. The coaches have to decide what they are going to emphasize with the time they have. They also need to allocate their budget and determine where to spend their money. Former players have lives outside of sports with their own families. Logistics for mentorship isn't going to be easy.
All that stuff needs to be communicated to the AD and the AD's office needs to arrange all that stuff. Look at the mess our AD department has been and it shouldn't be surprising that nothing has been done.

Great Podcast Nadine, Kendal and Jamal. Very well done and timely!! I appreciate you taking the time to do these, they are great listens.

Go Gophers!!

Thank you - Kendal and Jamal were great!

I suspect it is all about time and resources. The coaches have to decide what they are going to emphasize with the time they have. They also need to allocate their budget and determine where to spend their money. Former players have lives outside of sports with their own families. Logistics for mentorship isn't going to be easy.
All that stuff needs to be communicated to the AD and the AD's office needs to arrange all that stuff. Look at the mess our AD department has been and it shouldn't be surprising that nothing has been done.

I'm with Holy Man, I think it's REALLY easy. I was shocked when Kendal said they don't have social media training. What's easier, bringing in someone for an hour or two, or having a sex tape get tweeted out? Doing easy things in the beginning and laying that foundation and expectations is not that difficult. Also, as far as alums, you have guys that have been dying to be part of the program. I can't believe Jamal had to get this going, this should have been in place for the past 50 years.

Thank you - Kendal and Jamal were great!

I'm with Holy Man, I think it's REALLY easy. I was shocked when Kendal said they don't have social media training. What's easier, bringing in someone for an hour or two, or having a sex tape get tweeted out? Doing easy things in the beginning and laying that foundation and expectations is not that difficult. Also, as far as alums, you have guys that have been dying to be part of the program. I can't believe Jamal had to get this going, this should have been in place for the past 50 years.
This all seems like logistics for the AD to take care of...unless there are a whole bunch of interns within the basketball and football departments who will be in charge of finding and connecting mentorships. I don't know the inner workings or resources of the departments so I defer to you.

Great job, Nadine & friends! Fun listen. Be sure to link future programs!

This issue of educating kids/youth on social media is a challenge for administrators as the kids know more about the workings, but not about the impact - both positive and negative. I hear a lot of complaints from parents of middle & high schoolers regarding the ability of the schools to acknowledge & address social media challenges.

This all seems like logistics for the AD to take care of...unless there are a whole bunch of interns within the basketball and football departments who will be in charge of finding and connecting mentorships. I don't know the inner workings or resources of the departments so I defer to you.

I get what you are saying but every group I have been associated with has mentoring as essentially a casual and volunteer effort. Like Nadine says, it doesn't take much to get a few guys from the past to come in and say, "Be careful. This is what you can do. This is what I did that worked and didn't work." The most effective messengers would be guys who screwed up and got their acts together after learning a lesson. I am not familiar with the inner workings of the U, but it doesn't seem like a major administrative task to me. I'd be willing to bet a couple alumni players would be willing to organize it if given the chance.

Great job, Nadine & friends! Fun listen. Be sure to link future programs!

This issue of educating kids/youth on social media is a challenge for administrators as the kids know more about the workings, but not about the impact - both positive and negative. I hear a lot of complaints from parents of middle & high schoolers regarding the ability of the schools to acknowledge & address social media challenges.

Moonlight, I also see a pretty wide swath of parents who don't acknowledge the risks and dangers of social media until their kid gets hurt, and then they ask the school to take care of the problem. It's a mess that parents need to address first and it takes a pretty courageous parent to put limits on their kids that it appears others don't. Schools have a role here, but parents have to know what's going on and steer their kids away from what they are not ready to handle. No middle schooler should have access to a vehicle in which his or her passing thoughts and ideas can become permanent record in a matter of seconds.

Moonlight, I also see a pretty wide swath of parents who don't acknowledge the risks and dangers of social media until their kid gets hurt, and then they ask the school to take care of the problem. It's a mess that parents need to address first and it takes a pretty courageous parent to put limits on their kids that it appears others don't. Schools have a role here, but parents have to know what's going on and steer their kids away from what they are not ready to handle. No middle schooler should have access to a vehicle in which his or her passing thoughts and ideas can become permanent record in a matter of seconds.
True - tho the parents are know are ahead of the game with their kids and deal with the fall out of the school ignoring it.

Social media is a virtual space where relationships are formed, and the primary developmental task of this age is social development. The schools who do well with knowing the impact this has on the day-to-day atmosphere of the school are proactive and help keep the kids safe. The ones who ignore are problematic to parents struggling to manage the impact. The U seems to be ignoring here.

Remember, the prefrontal cortex is not fully developed until the mid-20's in males. My son called his brother on his 23rd birthday and congratulated him on its full formation, but honestly I saw tremendous growth yet between 23 and 25. Totally awesome at 28!

Top Bottom