Dan Dakich on Gophers: "most improved team n USA"

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Crazy, he usually hates the **** out of us.

That's because Blake Hoffarber ended Dan's opportunity to be the head coach at his alma matter. Imagine losing the one job you always wanted because of a team or organization (even if it wasn't personal). This is why Dan Dakich forever hates MN.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gopher fans just love to think that Dakich hates the gophers for whatever reason. He is easily my preferred choice of analysts to call an ESPN broadcasted gopher game. Never understand the dislike for him. Always felt like he was very complimentary when we played well.

I don't know who said it or exactly when, but it was a while ago: that if the Gophers were to make the NIT or contend for the NCAA's, they'd have to end up being one of the most improved programs in the country. Well,...

Gopher fans just love to think that Dakich hates the gophers for whatever reason. He is easily my preferred choice of analysts to call an ESPN broadcasted gopher game. Never understand the dislike for him. Always felt like he was very complimentary when we played well.

I think he is a great announcer. If asked Adam Woodbury probably thinks Dakich doesn't like him, and I imagine Dakich doesn't like Tom Crean.

Dakich's assessment is probably true, but in defense of last year's team, they were NOT as bad as their record, and it seems few people remember that they got better (almost) every game during the conference season until the idiocy and the suspensions. It was clear last year that they had some young talent and were going in the right direction and were in virtually every game until the suspensions with the notable exception of the two disasters against Northwestern. Hopefully, Thursday brings some payback for the Cats.

The scenario is reminding of the 1991 Twins "worst to first" in which they did in fact finish in last the prior year when basically everything that could go wrong did. "Worst to first" didn't tell the whole story then and I don't think it does now, either.

Dakich is one of the few color guys who don't fawn over the stars and the big programs. He tells it like he sees it, which I can appreciate.

I don't know who said it or exactly when, but it was a while ago: that if the Gophers were to make the NIT or contend for the NCAA's, thef they'd have to end up being one of the most improved programs in the country. Well,...

Yeah I'd think if we could get to 10 or 11 conference wins, Pitino would have a decent case for Big Ten coach of the year. Though if Wisconsin wins the the Big Ten then maybe Gard will get it. We made their path a little easier last night.

Dakich probably felt like he had to atone for saying on air that the Gopher football team would lose by 1000 points to Washington State before the game. :p

Yeah I'd think if we could get to 10 or 11 conference wins, Pitino would have a decent case for Big Ten coach of the year. Though if Wisconsin wins the the Big Ten then maybe Gard will get it. We made their path a little easier last night.

You forgot the Gophs are winning the Big Ten. That should be the goal and I don't think it's unrealistic.

Dakich likes to troll but he's maybe the best analyst ESPN has in it's CBB dept.

He doesn't "hate" the Gophers. MN went 8-23 last year and was a dumpster fire. Don't give me the BS of "we weren't as bad as our record"...what good teams ever say "we're not as good as our record?"...none. That's a lower's phrase.

He analyzes what he sees in college basketball. If he sees a crappy product, he's going to tell us. I like that.

Top Bottom