What a HUGE win!!!!

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Wow, so many fantastic aspects of tonight's win!!! To come back after we got down 6 in the second half, over come heavy foul trouble, have a freshman big man step up against a very good front court of Purdue, etc.

Without looking up Pitino's first season results, this may be his biggest win of his career at Minnesota.

So happy with the effort, defense and fight from this team.

GO GOPHERS!!

This team has come along so well since last year. Pitino and the young squad have done such a great job. Need to get some more depth but this team has shown it has the fight to keep up with the big dogs in the conference

It'll look great on the tournament resume. If they keep playing like this though, they won't have much to worry about.

Wow, so many fantastic aspects of tonight's win!!! To come back after we got down 6 in the second half, over come heavy foul trouble, have a freshman big man step up against a very good front court of Purdue, etc.

Without looking up Pitino's first season results, this may be his biggest win of his career at Minnesota.

So happy with the effort, defense and fight from this team.

GO GOPHERS!!

The win @MSU in year 2 is close, but we were already cooked and had less to lose, so this goes ahead of it.

The guys grew up big-time today. Looked poised and confident, two things I thought were missing against Michigan State down the stretch. Post defense also improved a ton despite Swanigan's big day. Very impressive on all fronts, especially in the overtime when Curry stepped up in a huge way. And obviously, Mason played like a star. Hopefully they can keep the good vibes going into Northwestern.

The guys grew up big-time today. Looked poised and confident, two things I thought were missing against Michigan State down the stretch. Post defense also improved a ton despite Swanigan's big day. Very impressive on all fronts, especially in the overtime when Curry stepped up in a huge way. And obviously, Mason played like a star. Hopefully they can keep the good vibes going into Northwestern.

The key was, IMO, that instead of panicking and throwing up a bunch of quick shots (like they did in the closing minutes of the first half and a few short stretches in the second half), Mason regrouped the team and slowed down the offense. They worked the ball around, and were able to get open shots, even if the first couple targets weren't open.

Lynch's defense against Swanigan was amazing at the end of the game and in OT. They would have blown out MSU had Lynch done the same. Big win, gotta bring smiles to all Gophers. Keep it up!

Curry Lynch, Mason, a very well played OT. Is Mason a remake of Bobby Jackson?

The key was, IMO, that instead of panicking and throwing up a bunch of quick shots (like they did in the closing minutes of the first half and a few short stretches in the second half), Mason regrouped the team and slowed down the offense. They worked the ball around, and were able to get open shots, even if the first couple targets weren't open.

Lynch's defense against Swanigan was amazing at the end of the game and in OT. They would have blown out MSU had Lynch done the same. Big win, gotta bring smiles to all Gophers. Keep it up!

Agree. They looked very anxious against MSU at key points and it came back to bite them. Today, whenever things got a little frantic, they slowed things down and executed. Mason deserves a lot of credit for that since he handles the point. When he slowed it down, everybody seemed to take a deep breath and made the plays that were in front of them.

This team has a ton of potential, but is still very young. The head coach is also very young and is learning as he goes. As a result, my main concern is/was with maturity, especially in late game situations. Today, the guys took a big step forward. Hopefully, they can continue that growth against Northwestern.

When Pre made that jumper, it felt like the winning play in the game. It also felt like a turning point for him. He hadn't been good in late game clutch situations, but he just turned that on its nose with a bullet. Feel great for the guy.

Freaking awesome! Curry confidence! Mason is a stud! This is a very good balanced team!

Mason is an absolute stud this year. The difference when he is not on the floor is significant. 11 assists and 1 turnover along with that clutch shooting!

Mason is an absolute stud this year. The difference when he is not on the floor is significant. 11 assists and 1 turnover along with that clutch shooting!

Yup, he is first team all Big Ten through 2 games.

Gopher haiku:
Gopher shots rim out tears :cry:
Purdue shots rim in often :mad:
Gophers respond joy :clap:

I don't have anything to add, other than to say YES!!! again. To respond from such a draining loss (the type we've had far too many of over the last decade) with a win over one of the best teams in the conference (and a team that was playing very well) on the road is huge. To be able to do it in OT after the disappointment in the last 30 seconds of regulation when they had to be having flashbacks to MSU...shows a lot of heart. Lets hope they build on this, because I certainly could get used to having more moments like today.

I don't have anything to add, other than to say YES!!! again. To respond from such a draining loss (the type we've had far too many of over the last decade) with a win over one of the best teams in the conference (and a team that was playing very well) on the road is huge. To be able to do it in OT after the disappointment in the last 30 seconds of regulation when they had to be having flashbacks to MSU...shows a lot of heart. Lets hope they build on this, because I certainly could get used to having more moments like today.

Pretty much the exact same situation as MSU game. Good point that they all had to have been thinking of that loss. This team has got some mental toughness.

First win at Purdue since 2005. Hopefully this win and more that follow get Minnesota Bigs more respect from the refs. Our Bigs can commit some stupid fouls at times, and did a couple times tonight, but all in all the Bigs as a group did very well this game.

I couldn't watch OT but at the time didn't really care. Figured there was no hope in OT with all of our big's in foul trouble. What a win! Hopefully this is the start of a good conference run. Pitino did a great job keeping the guys spirits high after the MSU heartbreak, now he has to make sure they don't get too high going into Northwestern. Will be interesting to see how they respond.

Gophers should have won against MSU, but this is a signature win come tourney time. Revenge will come against Sparty.

One major difference between this game and last game was far less wild shots on drives to the basket by the guards - particularly Coffey. Clearly shot selection was better.

I appreciate your excitement...but they grew up when they got beat by Michigan State. I think they realized that they could have beaten them and they starting looking forward rather than backward.

One major difference between this game and last game was far less wild shots on drives to the basket by the guards - particularly Coffey. Clearly shot selection was better.

Yep. I'm guessing they spent a lot of time watching film. Those wild shots and passes were hard to watch as a fan, so I'm sure it was difficult for some of the players to watch after the game. They played much more under control today.

It's great to have a reAm that plays defense. Keep it up boys!

It's great to have a team that plays defense. Keep it up boys!

Great great win. Purdue is a real contender (and have an easy schedule for the contenders), and Mackey is as tough a place to play as there is in the Big Ten.

Will the game be rebroadcast, I missed the second half

Top Bottom