Izzo confirmed Flip came close to accepting U job; didn't want to work for Teague

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

Izzo confirmed what other friends of the late Flip Saunders have said about Saunders coming close to accepting the Gophers job in the spring of 2013. The former Gophers guard in the 1970s was between coaching opportunities in the NBA back then and Saunders ultimately decided he didn’t want to work for athletics director Norwood Teague, according to a top source.

“Flip loved the Gophers,” Izzo told Sports Headliners. “His passion for Minnesota in general was off the charts, and the University was just even more off the charts.”

Izzo and Saunders forged a friendship over the years including when Saunders coached the NBA Pistons in Detroit. At Saunders’ funeral in 2015 Izzo read from the Bible during the service for his friend who died at age 60 from cancer.

“I miss him,” Izzo said about the former Timberwolves executive and coach. “I miss the late night calls. He always had some good plays for me.

“I can honestly say I loved the guy. I still feel for Debbie (Saunders’ wife) and I stay in touch with Ryan (his son and Timberwolves assistant). I am proud of what he is doing.

“But to have had Flip in the league (the Big Ten) would have been an honor. It really would have been.”

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Wow. Heard the rumors, but never realized it was that close. Would have loved having Flip as our HC. And I believe he could have gotten the job done. Dang you Norwood!!

Sounds like we had a chance to land tyus if Flip would have taken the job

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Jim Dutcher said the same thing last year. Teague flew out to one of the NCAA tourney sites, where Flip was catching some games, and offered him the job. Flip told Teague he wanted some time to think about. Ultimately Flip told Dutcher he wasn't comfortable working with Teague.

So why didn't he want to work for Teague? Why would flip who is a bit of a Minnesota sports legend have any trouble navigating around any AD?

So why didn't he want to work for Teague? Why would flip who is a bit of a Minnesota sports legend have any trouble navigating around any AD?

An additional rumor to the story is that Teague wanted to pick Flip's staff.

and who hired and enabled Teague?? the only guy at the U with seemingly no accountability- Kaler

and who hired and enabled Teague?? the only guy at the U with seemingly no accountability- Kaler

Beat me to it. So far Maturi is a better judge of talent than Kaler.....

Does Coyle even exist?

Why should we have any trust or faith in that duo?

I think it was just that Teague didn't want to let Flip hire Ryan as an assistant because he didn't think he was qualified.

The irony is that Teague then settled for a different coaches son for the head job! I'm supporting Pitino, but would have loved to see Flip as HC, with the Mussleman pregame show too.

Let's say Flip was hired. Given his premature death, who takes over last season, and who is our coach this season?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom