Post game MSU: Izzo said it was a tale of 2 halves, not sure god wants Sid up there

GopherLady

Reaction score
yet...along with Pitino, Murphy and McBrayer quotes (not verbatim, as usual).

Tom Izzo:
• It was a tale of 2 halves, I really like MN's team, they out played us 2/3rd of that game. I challenged the players at halftime from the Magic's to the Cleaves, etc…about their own families, because I thought they embarrassed themselves. We scored better the 2nd half, but we defended better. I'm really proud of the freshman, they think Duke and Kentucky are tough, but Big 10 games…Cleaves and Haskins would have been proud of this game. We battled, but still have some issues. I'm so proud that we only have 2 TO's 2nd half.
• This is the best Minnesota team I've seen in a while, one thing that's always left to do learn how to close out games. This team is going to be really good this year. I think it hurt when Lynch got in foul trouble, that was a little advantage for us.
• You hope it does (this game mattering), we have so much work to do and we're so far behind the 8 ball. I watched NU being down 25 at home, until those plane wheels touch the ground, I'm going to enjoy this victory because we've had a brutal stretch.
• We found a way to win a game with some toughness, this team hasn't done this all year. I don't know what it is. Poor coaching on my part, because I'm afraid to do any physical stuff.

Here's the full video on Izzo's comments on Sid ->
<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FGopherHoleMN%2Fvideos%2F10154419682244495%2F&show_text=0&width=560" width="560" height="315" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>

Richard Pitino
• I'll give credit to MSU, the 1st 5 minutes of the 2nd half, we let them set the rules and the tone. Our guys fought, but MSU found a way to win.
• On closing out - probably so, we need to find a way to win. All these games seem to come down to 1/2 possessions. There will be plenty of more close games.
• End of regulation - they were close, they just didn't go in, they were pretty good looks.
• Bakary played great minutes, we were going small with Eric and that wasn't working, Ward was so big. He negated Ward just with his size. The 1st half, he needed to calm down on fouls. (Ward) He's lost weight, he's gotten himself in pretty good shape, he was terrific, and since Bridges has been out, they've been going to him.
• What he told the team post-game: Stay together, we've been fortunate to win 12 games, and it's easy to stay together when you win, you just need to find a way to not point fingers. This is a grind. You need to make sure your guys stay confident, and learn why you lose. Prepare for a tough Purdue team.
• They obviously improved their D, I'm not sure what it was, they did some good things. Our goal is to win the FT battle, and we did.
• Ellis - he was really good. They were running some things for him. He made some big shots. I wish he was here (smiling).
• They're going to get bigger, vs. Purdue. That's this league. You have to find a way to defends without fouling, I don't know if you're going to go to the line 45 times on the road.
• On Murph - he was terrific, 18 D boards, there's a lot to draw from that's pretty good, just didn't find a way to win. He's only a sophomore. Amir did a lot of good things, he's only a freshman. We're still very young.
• Amir getting tired? I think everyone was tired by the end, both teams, lots of energy, our fans were awesome. When the Barn is rocking, it's so good, it was, it was too bad we didn't find a way to get a win.
• Loose balls at the beginning of the 2nd half wasn't too good. I still think offensively we can get that ball moving better than it is. Give them credit, I think they're a good team. People say they're down, they scheduled as if their injured players were going to be there, one of the best recruiting classes Izzo has ever had, that's why he's a terrific coach.
Jordan Murphy:
• I think that we made too many mistakes down the stretch, we didn't make winning plays, we didn't convert.
• Purdue is a big and talented team, they are ranked for a reason.
• On keeping their confidence up - We're 12-2, we're not 7-5, or 5-7 we don't have a losing record, we have a lot of confidence left, gotta keep our heads up.

Dupree McBrayer:
• We became too complacent with the score, we had no answers, we need to do a better job with that in the future.
• That built their confidence, Ward is a big load, so they went to him. We need to do a better job of the scouting report.
• We need to get back in the gym and work, we didn't win 12 games for no reason.
• Their older players took over, they started to take over and that led to the confidence

Top Bottom