PiPress: Gophers basketball ready to prove turnaround is for real

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Chad:

Pitino insists he hasn’t thought about what it would take for his team to earn an at-large bid to the NCAA tournament. And he stopped short of saying it’s tournament or bust for this group of Gophers.

“I don’t think like that,” Pitino said. “It’s never been like me to think that way.”

But the fans that endured last season are surely itching for a return to the NCAA tournament, where the Gophers haven’t been since Tubby Smith’s final season in 2013.

Thanks to their nonconference record, a .500 record (9-9) in the Big Ten likely would be enough for an at large bid. Even an 8-10 record in conference could get them in.

“I think the recipe with all this stuff is always winning at home,” Pitino said. “You’ve got to take care of your home court. My first year I believe we only lost one game at home. And we were darn close (to making the tournament). At the end of the day, if you hold serve at home you’ll be right there. I always talk to our guys about making sure we protect our home court. If we do that, we’ll be right there.”

http://www.twincities.com/2016/12/26/umn-gophers-big-ten-michigan-state-basketball/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom