Detroit News: MSU faces tall order in Big Ten opener vs. 12-1 Minnesota

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Detroit News:

Ready or not, Big Ten basketball is here, and for Michigan State and coach Tom Izzo, it’s the chance to put an inconsistent first month and a half of the season in the rearview mirror.

The Spartans (8-5) entered the season with high expectations and a brutal schedule in the first month of the season full of games against some of the top teams in the nation along with a difficult travel schedule. It had its share of ups and downs, but now it’s on to conference play with Tuesday's 9 p.m. tip-off at Minnesota.

“For the most part I am kind of looking forward to the Big Ten season starting,” Izzo said. “It gives you a chance to wipe the slate clean a little bit and hopefully learn from your mistakes. Hopefully (we) can learn from what we have been preaching and put it together on film and get a chance to look at it with our guys and hopefully are moving forward.”

Coach Richard Pitino has a young lineup but one that has been stingy on defense, allowing opponents to shoot just .371 from the field. Junior guard Nate Mason is averaging 13.2 points and 5.5 assists a game while freshman Amir Coffey is scoring 11.9 a game.

“I feel like they’re much-improved for a variety of reason,” Izzo said. “Mostly a guy like Mason is a much better player than he was last year. I think the freshman Coffey is gonna be a very good player for them, a kid we recruited some. … So it’s a more experienced team, it’s a deeper team. The guards have been around a while. Inside they’ve got some very good players that now have some experience and the transfer, (Reggie) Lynch, has given them a big boost I think in a lot of respects.”

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...er-big-ten-opener-vs-12-1-minnesota/95854546/

Go Gophers!!

This is reminding me of 2008, or 2007, or with a win will it be a new memory that sheds those other two memories? Those two years MN also played well in nonconference. In 2008 Tubby was 12-0 and hosting for the Big Ten opener MS on Wednesday dec 31 and lost by 12 in a game close until about the 8 min mark in the second half. Or is it 2007 on a Saturday afternoon at MS after starting 10-2 MN is on the road against MS for the Big Ten opener. In a much closer game the Gophers lost by 6. Of course it is 2016, a different coach, and I would argue a much more athletic team and players and so the outcome will be a win of course!

Good news for the gophers is they are catching MSU early in the season. Every year it seems like Coach Izzo puts his team into a blender early on and it looks like madness, but whatever he does early in the season they are more ready for the post season than almost any other team.

IzzO is only 12-9 and Big Ten openers?

He's .689 overall in Big ten play since 96, .700 in Big Ten play last five seasons, so yeah 12-9 (which we would die for) is .571 and statistically significantly lower than .700,

Top Bottom