Fran McCaffrey has team walk off the court at end of the game

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
Another childish move by Fran. I get what the two UND players was stupid, but how about being the adult in this situation?

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The players are adults, too. If I were one of them, I would have defied Fran and gone through the line.

It's hard to think it through on the spot; they were in a tough position.

I didn't see the video yet, but the losing team gets to shoot at the end of the game if they want. It's the winning team's responsibility to not push it after the loser's concede. Franny needs some therapy.

The tipping point was the game's final sequence with Iowa leading by the final margin. UND senior guard Corey Baldwin turned the ball over attempting a pass with five seconds remaining. Iowa's Nicholas Baer held the ball and appeared content to stand and run the rest of the clock out, as players from both teams headed toward their respective benches.

Baldwin stripped the ball from Baer with three seconds left and passed to Drick Bernstine for a layup. The basket didn't count, but the damage was done as McCaffery turned and headed to the locker room, waving his players along as he walked away.

"I wasn't pleased with how the game ended and the things that happened," McCaffery told reporters after the game. "I'll say this, I have a lot of respect for [North Dakota head coach] Brian [Jones] and [assistant] Jeff Horner. I don't think they teach that stuff. But I was not having it. That's not the way to play."

It was supposed to be a joyful homecoming for Jones, who was an assistant at Iowa from 2001 to 2006, and Horner, a Mason City, Iowa, native who played for the Hawkeyes from 2002 to 2006 and is still the program leader in assists.

McCaffery hinted he was not pleased with several rough plays late in the game that Iowa led for all but 41 seconds and by as many as 19 points. But it was still physical down the stretch, culminating with Iowa's Jordan Bohannon being given a dead-ball technical with 37 seconds left.

"I told my players I was proud of them," McCaffery said. "You can't get caught up in that. The game was over. We don't need Pete [Jok] getting knocked to the floor. We don't need guys getting up in Jordan's face, Nicholas Baer's head getting chopped off. We don't need it. Game's over. Move on."

McCaffery told ESPN's Jeff Goodman on Wednesday morning that he regretted what happened after the game and that he texted an apology to Jones afterward

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...-dakota-fighting-hawks-questionable-late-play

I was OK with what Fran did, if you watch the video, the title is misleading. It's not as if they were just trying to get a shot off, they lost the ball and an Iowa player came up with it and basically everyone else was walking away with only 2 seconds left, but one of the ND players got pretty rough and took the ball away and passed it to another teammate who then layed it in. I mean come on, if the Iowa player had raced to the other side of the court and layed it in, ND's coach would probably be all pissed too. If the coach can't control his players, then oh well, I wouldn't hand shake them either.

I'm not thrilled with the way it was handled but it sounds like this isn't the first North Dakota opponent unhappy with their play. From the North Dakota board:

"Late game and post game ugly theatrics are becoming too common this year. At some point the UND team needs to look at itself and say "maybe it's me."

Fights at end of ndsu game, Iowa refusing to shake hands, sdsu and usd refusing to schedule us. It may end up being more than our record pushing Jones out.

I'd rather have Fran take a stand than Lickliter smile and shake hands after another ass-kicking.

Play to the whistle. Iowa was playing defense up until that point as well with an 11 point lead.

Play to the whistle. Iowa was playing defense up until that point as well with an 11 point lead.

Brent Musburger's friends in the desert had this as an 11 point game.

Saw the video. Pretty poor by UND, but walking off the court is bad form. a pox on both of their houses.

I'm not thrilled with the way it was handled but it sounds like this isn't the first North Dakota opponent unhappy with their play. From the North Dakota board:

"Late game and post game ugly theatrics are becoming too common this year. At some point the UND team needs to look at itself and say "maybe it's me."

Fights at end of ndsu game, Iowa refusing to shake hands, sdsu and usd refusing to schedule us. It may end up being more than our record pushing Jones out.

I'd rather have Fran take a stand than Lickliter smile and shake hands after another ass-kicking.

Sounds like there may be more than the last second incident Franny was po'd about.

Sounds like there may be more than the last second incident Franny was po'd about.

Yeah, I think you're right. Jones and Jeff Horner, a UND assistant and former Hawkeye, were jawing at Iowa players towards the end of the game, Bohannon in particular. Again, I don't like Fran not shaking hands but he usually directs his displeasure towards officials rather than opponents.

As I read different stories, Horner was reacting to a rough foul by Bohannon near the end of the game, a foul Bohannon did apologize for to the ND player he hit after the game ended. Bohannon showed good sportsmanship after the game ended, Fran did not.

Top Bottom