Any News On Coffey's Injury?

tmvander

Reaction score
Is there any news on Coffey's toe injury? Has he been practicing? Arkansas St. could be sneaky decent on Friday.

There is an article in the Star Trib online now. Short summary, feels fine, not practicing, timetable uncertain.

Did he get turf toe from practicing as a defensive back for the depleted football team?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

There is an article in the Star Trib online now. Short summary, feels fine, not practicing, timetable uncertain.

Here is a link to the article:

Coffey is making progress toward returning to the court. A source said earlier Monday that Coffey “feels fine, but he hasn’t practiced.”

The Gophers (11-1) have five days until their next game Friday against Arkansas State (9-2) at Williams Arena. The Big Ten opener is Dec. 27 against Michigan State at the Barn.

Minnesota definitely needs Coffey back as soon as possible with a tough stretch to start the Big Ten schedule looming. The 6-foot-8 former Hopkins standout is averaging 12.4 points, 3.8 rebounds and 2.5 assists in 29.5 minutes this season.

“Amir is a tough kid,” Pitino said on the radio Sunday. “We made a game-time decision (Wednesday). I said, ‘Go through warmups and see how you feel. If you’re not 100 percent, we will not play you.' He said to me, ‘I feel about 80 percent.’ I said, 'Let’s hold off and see if we can get the win without you to where we can get you healthy.’ ”

How soon can Coffey return, though? The average recovery time for turf toe is two to three weeks. The Big Ten opener would be about two weeks from the last game, but his timetable is uncertain right now.

http://www.startribune.com/amir-cof...oe-injury-is-still-a-question-mark/407489336/

Go Gophers!!

I definitely don't want to see him friday. I'm confident that the team can beat Arkansas St without him, though they do appear to be decent. The absolute worst thing we could do is rush him back and let that turf toe linger all season. I would even prefer he miss a few Big 10 games than play the whole year at 80%.

I definitely don't want to see him friday. I'm confident that the team can beat Arkansas St without him, though they do appear to be decent. The absolute worst thing we could do is rush him back and let that turf toe linger all season. I would even prefer he miss a few Big 10 games than play the whole year at 80%.

I would agree with you except that I view the MSU home game as a must win for NCAA hopes. In so far as confidence for the younger team.

yea jeeze super tough call for the MSU game. And here I was thinking MSU was going to be down their top frosh, how the tables have turned... fingers crossed he's 100%, but if not, I agree he's gotta sit

I'm going to let the coach and the player make the decision. I'm going to let them do the worrying also.

The possibility of a significant injury (case in point Coffey) are why I chose (in another thread) to keep Gophers predicted BIG record at 7-11 instead of bumping it up to 8-10 range. Gophers are one injury away from being pedestrian if Coffey, Lynch, Mason, McBrayer, or Murphy go down for any length of time.

I just wish the coaches would've kept him off the turf! :mad:

We need everbody

The possibility of a significant injury (case in point Coffey) are why I chose (in another thread) to keep Gophers predicted BIG record at 7-11 instead of bumping it up to 8-10 range. Gophers are one injury away from being pedestrian if Coffey, Lynch, Mason, McBrayer, or Murphy go down for any length of time.

I agree we need everybody, but I think you could limit the list to Mason. I believe we can cover for one of any of the others...but Mason is pretty important. Without Mason, we have no answer for well planned defenses. I'd add Springs to your list too...he is our most talented offensive player. If he gets comfortable and starts playing consistently we'll be very good and he'd be a component we can't replace as well. We need the experienced guards. They are our best shooters along with Mc Brayer as well. Hard to win without ball handlers and shooters...too tough to score and the turnovers result in points for the opponent.

I'd agree, but if we start 0-5 it's not going to do any good to have saved him either.

If he's healthy he should play Friday. Arkansas St is not a gimme, and it helps to shake off the rust before B1G play.

I say, if it's not too serious, don't start him but give him at least a few minutes to get back to speed before B1G play.

Doogie said Amir practiced yesterday. Not sure if he'll play Friday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom