Northwestern

Block M

Reaction score
Very impressed. I think the NCAA drought ends this year for them. Dark horse for top three finish in league.

I would like to see Northwestern, Minnesota, and Illinois make it this year at the expense of MSU, OSU, and what the hell, Wisconsin.

almost choked a 22 point lead over Dayton, but still a good win.

Illinois, Maryland, Michigan State, Northwestern, and Ohio State. Those are the teams Gophers are competing with for NCAA bids. My guess is 3 make it, at most 4.

Illinois, Maryland, Michigan State, Northwestern, and Ohio State. Those are the teams Gophers are competing with for NCAA bids. My guess is 3 make it, at most 4.

They aren't really competing with just big ten teams though

Seems like every other year it's Northwestern will finally get a tournament bid and then they don't. Here is hoping that streak continues and Minnesota is back in the dance and Northwestern is left wanting...

Seems like every other year it's Northwestern will finally get a tournament bid and then they don't. Here is hoping that streak continues and Minnesota is back in the dance and Northwestern is left wanting...

Hope both get in. If Northwestern finally makes it, that's another major sports story coming out of Chicago (area). Would make for quite a 4-month stretch.

Hope both get in. If Northwestern finally makes it, that's another major sports story coming out of Chicago (area). Would make for quite a 4-month stretch.

I hope NWU gets in if they are behind us in the standings. Otherwise I only care about one team making news in March.

Don't we say this every year? That said, I've always rooted for them to make the Field and would love to see it this year.

Don't we say this every year? That said, I've always rooted for them to make the Field and would love to see it this year.

I am anti-Cubs and I am anti-Cats. If they rise, someone else falls. And that could very well be us. I'm with GopherinPhilly. (I suppose if you look at the last couple of years, they may be saying the same thing about us.)

I am anti-Cats. If they rise, someone else falls. And that could very well be us.

Beat Northwestern in Evanston in our only meeting and that takes care of a significant part of the equation. There's room for both. But correct, Gophers first!

Beat Northwestern in Evanston in our only meeting and that takes care of a significant part of the equation. There's room for both. But correct, Gophers first!

Welsh-Ryan has been a house of horrors for us for quite a while now. Would be great to exorcise that demon.

I am anti-Cubs and I am anti-Cats. If they rise, someone else falls. And that could very well be us. I'm with GopherinPhilly. (I suppose if you look at the last couple of years, they may be saying the same thing about us.)

I think there's room in the tourney for both of us. If each team takes care of business well enough, the head-to-head game won't matter.

I think NW gets in this year too. Played a pretty solid though not spectacular nonconf schedule. Wins over Wake Forest, Texas (neutral site game that doesn't look as tough now), and Dayton at a neutral site. Total of six points separating them from Butler on the road (another really tough place to play) and Notre Dame at a neutral site. I think Collins has them ready for B1G play and they make it to the dance this year.

I think Jerry Palm. But what part are you talking about? The conference champion? He's said in the past he doesn't project that, that's just simply who is in first place (or in this case, who has the best record)

So, if Rutgers starts 1-0 they hypothetically would show up momentarily

Who does these projections?? That's pretty bold.

I'm guessing it has to do with the fact that we are one of three Big Ten teams with only one loss, along with Maryland and Rutgers, and we have the highest RPI, so they project us as the champion for now. They project Baylor to win the Big 12 too, which probably isn't quite as bold, but Baylor is undefeated and Kansas has a loss.

I think Jerry Palm. But what part are you talking about? The conference champion? He's said in the past he doesn't project that, that's just simply who is in first place (or in this case, who has the best record)

So, if Rutgers starts 1-0 they hypothetically would show up momentarily

That makes sense, I was talking about the conference champ part. Maryland and Rutgers have the same record though and there have been no conference games. Is the tie break RPI or some other similar measure?

The auto-bid "placeholders" are best RPI until conference games are played. Then it goes to the conference leader.

Who does these projections?? That's pretty bold.

Look, I'm all about sipping the maroon and gold cool aid, hell, I'm all about slamming it. I think we are an improved team that can very well make the tourney. But picking us to win the big ten this year is ludacris. I'm with Gold Vision here. From what I gathered from glancing at the "predictions" is that the rankings are strictly based on RPI. At this point, RPI is a horrid metric. Someone else far smarter can correct me, but I believe RPI is worthless until a few weeks into January. Until then it's using data from last year. I mean Middle Tennesseevisit ranked higher LOL! Anyway, go gophers, beat NW, and make the tourney! That's all I ask

Look, I'm all about sipping the maroon and gold cool aid, hell, I'm all about slamming it. I think we are an improved team that can very well make the tourney. But picking us to win the big ten this year is ludacris. I'm with Gold Vision here. From what I gathered from glancing at the "predictions" is that the rankings are strictly based on RPI. At this point, RPI is a horrid metric. Someone else far smarter can correct me, but I believe RPI is worthless until a few weeks into January. Until then it's using data from last year. I mean Middle Tennesseevisit ranked higher LOL! Anyway, go gophers, beat NW, and make the tourney! That's all I ask

Kenpom factors in last year, and is probably more accurate right now. RPI is just based on this year, and it's only based on wins and losses, which is why it's so volatile early on. I don't think picking the Gophers was a genuine, thoughtful prediction. They just have a formula that spits out the best RPI team in each conference like SS said. I don't think all the predictions are RPI based, just the conference champions, because they need to project who gets the autobid from each conference. For instance, they predict Indiana to make the tournament despite the fact they are #81 in RPI. The conference champion predictions are relatively meaningless, but the rest of the predictions appear to have had some thought out into them.

Top Bottom