How will the basketball team be affected by football boycott?

Lakers612

Banned
Reaction score
Pitino must be feeling pretty lucky right now. I thought the bball program hit rock bottom last year, but this football situation is far worse. I'm shocked that we still have Mason and McBrayer still on the team.

Honestly, the fact that they are still with the program is literally the only thing good that has happened in 2016 as far as sports for me.

Crazy. Gopher hoops now has a golden opportunity to be a shining light for the University, on and off the court. Who would have thought that 9 months ago?

Crazy. Gopher hoops now has a golden opportunity to be a shining light for the University, on and off the court. Who would have thought that 9 months ago?

when you put it that way: absolutely, unbelievably crazy

I wouldn't be surprised if they dismiss mason and mcbrayer retroactively. Possibly Springs too for high fiving them after the fact.

What are you referring to about Springs?

Being facetious. I don't have a stance in this. I don't know anything. I'm referring to some insinuating that players were suspended for just being there and allegedly one wasn't even there.

Springs wasn't part of the 3some, suspend him too!

Probably more like a dimly lit light in comparison to a couple of our fantastic women's programs.

Seems possible

Seems far more likely the hammer could still come down on Reggie Lynch? Last year has to be last year by now for the other guys, doesn't it? Just a very flawed system they have going on there in administration...

I'm glad this didn't happen, but wouldn't it have made more sense if the non-involved basketball players had boycotted last year since the girl in the video never went to the authorities? I can't understand the football players stance on this since the girl has been unequivocal since the night of the incident. How in the hell does Claeys come out in support of the players??? Stupid. Insubordination. If I were A.D., Coyle, I would not take kindly to the stance of my football coach. Thank goodness the mess that was the basketball program navigated those troubled waters as well as they did. The BB team - and many of the women's programs - are a beacon of light on this cold ass Minnesota weekend.

Three things to consider for those that are taking issue with the University.

Rape
Code of conduct
Baylor

Three things to consider for those that are taking issue with the University.

Rape
Code of conduct
Baylor

I hate what the guys were involved in. However, there is no proof of rape. The code of conduct is not evenly enforced university wide. It appears that athletes who are high profile are under the most scrutiny and there is no due process for them- at least not visible here.
The code of conduct - if strictly and evenly enforced probably eliminates 25% of the University students or more.

The baseball team is joining the boycott. Let's hope this doesn't spread to basketball. If this turns into a deal where black athletes believe that the University comes down unevenly on them, regardless of the truth- our programs across the board are toast for years to come.

I hate what the guys were involved in. However, there is no proof of rape. The code of conduct is not evenly enforced university wide. It appears that athletes who are high profile are under the most scrutiny and there is no due process for them- at least not visible here.
The code of conduct - if strictly and evenly enforced probably eliminates 25% of the University students or more.

The baseball team is joining the boycott. Let's hope this doesn't spread to basketball. If this turns into a deal where black athletes believe that the University comes down unevenly on them, regardless of the truth- our programs across the board are toast for years to come.

Let me clarify. I'm not suggesting it was or is rape. I've stated in a couple threads that I have no opinion given the lack of information. However, those that think the University is acting innapropriately need to remember that top word is very en vouge and that bottom word is one that you don't want to have happen, that's all.

The men's basketball team has "the most to lose" out of those that are boycotting so far. I wouldn't be surprised if they stand to make a statement in that last non-conference game, then again they should be the last group of guys to do so given their history. Hopefully (not so much for my personal interests) this is calmed down by then.

Ok, let's be very clear. There was never ONE allegation that the basketball incident was sexual assault. Not one. It was consensual.

They are very, very different situations.

Ok, let's be very clear. There was never ONE allegation that the basketball incident was sexual assault. Not one. It was consensual.

They are very, very different situations.

Except the Reggie Lynch incident correct?

I hope there is zero impact and the team focuses on their program and this season. I also hope the players don't feel that it's their job to force reform in the university. Maybe they can do a lot of good by leading with a great and positive example this year that all of us fans want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How will the basketball team be affected by football boycott

It will make watching the BT opener less complicated.

The real "worry" is if the basketball team joins the boycott. I am sure that is being discussed.

The real "worry" is if the basketball team joins the boycott. I am sure that is being discussed.

Correct- that is the worry short term. Longer term - what is the perception of how this University treats athletes and how does that affect the ability to recruit and compete? There is major PR damage here.

Kaler is a snake in the grass. He tried to taint Pitino by leaking the extra Plane spending and Pitino's failure to fill up the rental car to the national media. Pitino of course, was the last reminder of Kaler's poor decision on the previous AD. Going back a ways. They screwed with Trevor Imbakwe because some woman recalled her assailant was black. We had an African who was cleared to play and the the school said his english wasn't good enough. Anyone of you had a foreign TA you couldn't understand that gave the bulk of your lectures? They decided Jarvis Johnson wasn't eligible after they accepted him for scholarship. The Guard trio last year suffered the misfortune of a stolen phone. The truth was found out well before the end of the season if I recall. Is sex a taboo for athletes. And then of course Reggie Lynch. None of these players were treated fairly. In these United States, I though it was innocent until proven guilty. And I am not to impressed with the performance of the new AD Coyle. I think Kaler has got to go

I'll tell y'all a dirty little secret here: there is no shortage of young women at the University who have discovered the siren song of their pussys and are more than willing to despoil the flower of our male youth. :mad:

Correct- that is the worry short term. Longer term - what is the perception of how this University treats athletes and how does that affect the ability to recruit and compete? There is major PR damage here.

Couldn't agree more. I worry about recruiting, especially with the local guys that are hearing about this and seeing this all over.

One of the possible outcomes is that Pitino says to himself, "I guess I'm not imagining what kind of impossible situations this institution puts its coaches into" and decides that the end of this season is a good time to get out.

Top Bottom