WDRB: Don't Sleep on Richard Pitino; in the discussion for Comeback Coach of the Year

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per WDRB:

1. Don't Sleep on Richard Pitino

The narrative on Richard Pitino in Minnesota before the season had realtors wondering if somebody was going to get a nice listing.

After winning the NIT and 25 games during his first season, Pitino coached the Gophers to 18-15 and 8-23 records the last two winters. There were off the court issues. The athletic director who hired Pitino was fired. Nearly every story written about Pitino included a mention of his hefty buyout.

I'm not nominating Pitino for the Final Four, but the Gophers are showing up in some early NCAA Tournament projections. He's in the discussion for Comeback Coach of the Year -- if there is a Comeback Coach of the Year award.

Minnesota moved to 11-1 with a 76-66 victory against LIU-Brooklyn. It was the Gophers' eighth victory by 10 points or more.

Yes, their strength of schedule ranks only 224th in the Ken Pomeroy power numbers. They have three wins over Top 100 opponents and are projected to finish 9-9 in the Big Ten and 21-10 overall. He's got a talented freshman forward -- Amir Coffey, a Twin Cities kid he convinced to stay home and play at the program where Coffey's father, Richard, once starred.

Selection Sunday should be interesting in Minneapolis.

http://www.wdrb.com/story/34064470/...ivers-tubby-builds-7-college-basketball-notes

Go Gophers!!

per WDRB:

1. Don't Sleep on Richard Pitino

The narrative on Richard Pitino in Minnesota before the season had realtors wondering if somebody was going to get a nice listing.

After winning the NIT and 25 games during his first season, Pitino coached the Gophers to 18-15 and 8-23 records the last two winters. There were off the court issues. The athletic director who hired Pitino was fired. Nearly every story written about Pitino included a mention of his hefty buyout.

I'm not nominating Pitino for the Final Four, but the Gophers are showing up in some early NCAA Tournament projections. He's in the discussion for Comeback Coach of the Year -- if there is a Comeback Coach of the Year award.

Minnesota moved to 11-1 with a 76-66 victory against LIU-Brooklyn. It was the Gophers' eighth victory by 10 points or more.

Yes, their strength of schedule ranks only 224th in the Ken Pomeroy power numbers. They have three wins over Top 100 opponents and are projected to finish 9-9 in the Big Ten and 21-10 overall. He's got a talented freshman forward -- Amir Coffey, a Twin Cities kid he convinced to stay home and play at the program where Coffey's father, Richard, once starred.

Selection Sunday should be interesting in Minneapolis.

http://www.wdrb.com/story/34064470/...ivers-tubby-builds-7-college-basketball-notes

Go Gophers!!

He's interesting all year with his updates. Please...

By all means - lets not enjoy the moment!

We are all enjoying the moment and the talent, especially after last year. However, as we both know from having hung around Williams for a long time, talking about the tourney before the start of the B1G season is just an academic exercise. That was my point.

We are all enjoying the moment and the talent, especially after last year. However, as we both know from having hung around Williams for a long time, talking about the tourney before the start of the B1G season is just an academic exercise. That was my point.
My friend ( and I mean that sincerely!), I choose to ignore your point: Given the options for putting a more positive spin on reality, my life at Williams Arena is a shining star on an otherwise bleak horizon!

My friend ( and I mean that sincerely!), I choose to ignore your point: Given the options for putting a more positive spin on reality, my life at Williams Arena is a shining star on an otherwise bleak horizon!

I understand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom