B1G Currently Has 10 RPI Top-50 Wins, But None In True Road Games

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Gophers have 2 of those 10.

7 of the 10 were played at home, the other 3 at neutral sites.

2 RPI Top-50 Wins
Indiana (2-0): #6 North Carolina, vs. #7 Kansas
Minnesota (2-1): #21 Texas-Arlington, #30 Arkansas
Illinois (2-1): #34 NC State, vs. #47 VCU

1 RPI Top-50 Win
Ohio State (1-1): #26 Providence
Maryland (1-1): #40 Oklahoma State
Northwestern (1-2): #12 Wake Forest
Nebraska (1-4): vs. #28 Dayton

0 RPI Top-50 Wins
Michigan State (0-4)
Iowa (0-3)
Michigan (0-3)
Penn State (0-3)
Purdue (0-2)
Wisconsin (0-2)
Rutgers (0-0)

I feel like that is fewer than usual? or am I wrong about that

What are the realistic odds for a team like UT Arlington to stay top 50 once their conference season starts? Would they have to avoid losing a single game? The Sun Belt looks pretty awful RPI wise with the exception of UT Arlington and Arkansas St...I can't see Arkansas St hanging on too much longer either.

I feel like that is fewer than usual? or am I wrong about that

Still early, but I would tend to agree. I think the Big 10 has done reasonably well in the non-conference, not terrible, not great. Has easily played more games (55) vs. the Power 6 (I still count Big East as power conference) than any other conference (ACC next at 46) and is slightly below .500 (26-29). Pac 12 and SEC, especially, haven't challenged themselves much.

Average Number of Games vs. Power 6 Opponents Per Team Per Conference
1 B1G (3.93)
2 Big East (3.7)
3 ACC (3.07)
4 Big XII (2.8)
5 SEC (2.43)
6 Pac 12 (2.33)

Question. Based on how the teams we've played have looked so far, any way that someone surprises and becomes a solid top 50 win by season's end? UTA and Ark obviously would be the most likely at this juncture and were we counting on them being ranked this highly?

Question. Based on how the teams we've played have looked so far, any way that someone surprises and becomes a solid top 50 win by season's end?

Vandy the only one with a chance. Currently #97 in RPI, #77 in KenPom.

Arkansas State (7-2) is #16 in RPI, but that's likely an early mirage. #140 in KenPom.

At this point the RPI is not terribly meaningful. Does anyone think Wake Forest is the #12 team in the country?

At this point the RPI is not terribly meaningful. Does anyone think Wake Forest is the #12 team in the country?

Agreed. Or that the Gophers are #13 in the country?

About the third week of January the RPI will start to settle in. Same with KenPom, really.

Top Bottom