Finals week for the basketball team (Press Conference)

Abel Mehari

Reaction score
From Nate Mason

Comments from last game
Last game we showed our defensive skills, we kind of put the pressure on them from the get go and that was good to see. Definitely defense is our strength, once we lock in we'll be a great team and were good in transition.

What is different from last season defensively some of the length on defense, but also

Definitely some of the length. Were longer than we were last year. Also, locking in on coverages and locking from scouting reports, just being at the right and paying a lot more attention to detail.

I probably say just playing from the point guard position, my IQ is different, knowing what guys are going to do, just reading stuff and try to get into the passing lanes.

Finals week

This is part of the season is the toughest. No one is on campus we all have finals, the game will probably be dead a little bit, but we just got to lock in and don't let one slip up and that's main goal throughout this break.

What do you think is the key to success in performing better in the Big Ten schedule unlike in recent years?

Just keep consistency in what were doing now. Just continue to play defense, continue rebounding, and running on the break then we should be fine. We have the talent, length, and athleticism to compete.

Comments on the frontline of MIN

It's takes a lot of pressure off of all of us. Curry's down there getting rebounds,Lynch is blocking shots, and both are scoring in the paint. It (takes a lot pressure) off the guards.

Comments on Reggie Lynch's hook shot

According to him, it's the best thing in the world and he's make it. But coach tells him every to get up a little higher and extend his arm a little more to avoid his shot getting blocked. He's working on it every day in practice so he's getting better at it.

Scoring opportunities for Murphy in the post
Obviously Murphy is one of the premier scorers in the post in Big Ten play. We defiantly need to get him some more touches and get banging harder down there. But his touches are coming within the rhythm of the offense but no one is really worried about touches as long were winning.

Amir Coffey's contributions

It's shows a lot about Amir, his work ethic and his personality. Probably coming off a 30 point game another freshman would probably try to keep scoring. But Amir let's the game come to him and that's just his personality. You can see from the defense end and he's going all out of us. And that's good for us to know and good to see him doing that. Were hoping he gets another outburst but it's also that's he is not worried about it.

Akeem Springs Notes

Defense
You always hear (that) defense has to carry you, even on nights when your offense is not doing well. I think our defense has us in the position we at now, some games we may not start as fast on offense but as long were getting stops were in the game.

Comments on the 10-1 start
It's very exciting because I've haven't experienced a 10-1 start. I think there's a buzz on our team on where we could possibly go but as long we keep getting better everyday were we want to be we will be

New found confidence

It's give us confidence to the next game. That we know that if play we were playing and continue to build on it then will win every game.

Do you think the guys are cherishing the wins after going through the troubles of last season?
I thing that there enjoying them. I think what so good about our wins is were just happy for each other. You can definitely see as joke with each other and were a close group and I that what's so good about our wins.

Bus rides
I don't know what it is were all close. I've been around groups that been with each other for a long time, but I don't know what it is but we have good guys on our team and it makes it easier for us to like each other.

Comments on defense despite a lack of size
I think it's just being in the right position. I think we use stuff that coach teaches us on defense that allow us to do well on defense.

Guesses on wingspan
I don't know my wingspan, whatever is a good wingspan for a 6'7 guy I'm probably an inch longer. It's probably 6'7 (or) 6'8

Coach Pitino conference

How tough do think this during finals week with students leaving and focusing on their schoolwork and get them focused on conference games?

Very hard, because of finals.That really weights on these guys, in college, you guys know, your final paper or test can be 50 percent of your grade and it's all really comes down this. So for that it's difficult. From a student, there all leaving, we stay here where the monopoly is difficult so we try to do our best to keep our guys fresh as possible.

We play on the 23rd and on the 27th. We'll practice on Christmas eve and on the day of Christmas and that part is difficult but we'll make due.

Can you explain the difference from last season's confidence to this year?
If you think about it, I guess from January, February, all the way until November they've had to walk around campus here, not necessarily negative things, just comments like "hey are you going to be better this year?," just all the doubt and all of that and there's nothing you can say and you just want to do it. We're the type of programs that let's play do most of the talking.

Snowball effect of Big Ten play
We got to win tomorrow more than anything. I think that there's a snowball effect of confidence on what were doing well. From a defensive standpoint I think these guys see the numbers, they like what's giving us, but were not looking to the Big Ten right now.

Comments on the size and length of MIN
It has to be. I think blocks, I think were number one in the conference. Field goal percentage and defense I think we're number one. A lot of it has to contribute to length. To me, the length at the two and three and not necessary the four and five. Were one of the top three-point shooting percentage defenses in the league, although it's early. But that a staple to our length and that contributes to our improved defense and it will continue to improve

All good stuff.

The guys, at least at this time, have overcome the downer from last year. OK fans, in case you haven't noticed, we are better. Finish the NC season strong and get ready for the BIG grind.

That will tell the story.

The team has worked very hard and have a lot going for them. Keep the injury bug away as we are thin. And let the BIG season play out.

Top Bottom