Pitino post game: The players really like each other, aren't starring at their phones

GopherLady

Reaction score
Pitino post game: The players really like each other, aren't staring at their phones

...big part of the change in the team is how well they get along together off the court.

Here are my quick (not verbatim notes) following the win over NIU ->

Richard Pitino:
• We took a major step in the rebounding department. If there was one weakness, it was live ball turnovers. They are playing unselfish, and are playing extremely well.
• On Reggie - I just think that he's got a long way to go, and has to be coached, he was out for a while couldn't practice all summer, had minor surgery, needs as many reps as he can. He was great today. He rebounded the ball extremely well today. I think he's one of the better centers in the league, I don't know who's out there, but he's up there. I don't know about the motivation standpoint, you should always be motivated. They muddled it up a bit, but he played a tough physical game. Played hard, showed good leadership. On Reggie's shot - He gets it up there, it has no spin on it, it's unorthodox, but it works.
• Amir is one of the most talented freshmen in the country, but Reggie brings a new dimension.
• Our whole team is really really willing passers. I think they're very unselfish. I told them, I hate when people say "have fun" because it's not an enjoyable experience, but they have fun. They enjoy each other's success. If Amir gets an understanding of how to pass it in certain situations.
• Why unselfish play? Winning helps. It gets everyone feeling good. I think we have balance on this team, all 5 guys can score. I don't think there's a non -scorer on the team. Nate is passing the ball really well. Dupree and Amir can slash and kick it back out. They know each other's strengths. They all want to find Akeem Springs, because they know he's a good weapon. They really enjoy each other's company, the bus is loud, they like each other, when we go out to eat they aren't staring at their phones. How do you not enjoy the wins, I enjoy it. As painful as last year was, I do believe it was good for everyone. It wasn't enjoyable, but it makes you appreciate a win. I think they're excited about what this team can become. They knew reinforcements were on the way.
• After 11 game, the commitment to getting stops has been priority for them. There's a level of confidence, when we feel like we need to get a stop, they know they can. When one guy screws up, someone helps them out.
Reggie Lynch:
• To me it just felt great to have a good offensive performance and get the win. We executed in the 2nd half.
• I feel like I had my groove the whole time, even with the injuries, but some pain in the ankle and the knee, but I know how to play the game. I know that my team has my back, so I can ease back a little bit.
• I'm feeling more comfortable going against more physical guys. Right of the bat, playing against teams that are physical, going against tougher players is evolving
• The FSU game was very key for us, it was just coming off a bunch of wins, it was a tough one to go on the road, and the tallest team in the country that we faced. It was a tough test for us, and made us realize that we need to work on our physicality. It gets us ready for Big 10 game.
• Unorthodox shot - since I was born, I've been trying to adjust that, but it doesn't really change. I have good touch, but having a lower release, I know how to use it, but it can hurt against tall guys that can block it.
• On not overlooking these games until Big 10 season - My whole life, everyone's whole life knows that you can't just look a game to the exciting game, every game is exciting.

Jordan Murphy:
• I'm enjoying it a lot. From last year, it's a big turnaround, it's just way different.
• It's a lot better than what you think it would be, last year, no one did play around like that and joke around.
• Reggie and Eric take a lot of pressure of me, I don't have to carry the load with them.
• We started focus on being more physical after FSU, we picked it up.
• We knew we were missing easy stuff in the 1st half, we regrouped, told each other to calm down and regain our focus.

Feel better about this team with every game.

I told them, I hate when people say "have fun" because it's not an enjoyable experience, but they have fun.
When he said this, I heard him saying this from a coaching perspective - that standing on the sidelines coaching is not 'fun' - I thought he implied it was an agonizing experience, which I can well understand. I can't imagine having that job.

I didn't see the warm-up today, but Friday's game it was evident that the team was into being on the court together and having fun in going through their paces - even Hurt.

Thanks as always!

When he said this, I heard him saying this from a coaching perspective - that standing on the sidelines coaching is not 'fun' - I thought he implied it was an agonizing experience, which I can well understand. I can't imagine having that job.

I didn't see the warm-up today, but Friday's game it was evident that the team was into being on the court together and having fun in going through their paces - even Hurt.

Thanks as always!

Hurt will be really good! Just needs more time on the court. Would really like to see him get 10 minutes per game as a standard. Shows real maturity for now staying positive while not yet getting time. Might be more important for the team to be the 10th guy and staying positive and supportive vs. being the 8th player and being a rotten egg for team chemistry. Can't be easy for a kid who has played his entire life to get limited minutes. Hope he stays patient.

Unfortunately he would have played 30 minutes a game had he been on the team one year earlier.

Hopefully Pitino can keep him on track and posiitve!

Hurt will be really good! Just needs more time on the court. Would really like to see him get 10 minutes per game as a standard. Shows real maturity for now staying positive while not yet getting time. Might be more important for the team to be the 10th guy and staying positive and supportive vs. being the 8th player and being a rotten egg for team chemistry. Can't be easy for a kid who has played his entire life to get limited minutes. Hope he stays patient.

Unfortunately he would have played 30 minutes a game had he been on the team one year earlier.

Hopefully Pitino can keep him on track and posiitve!

Couldn't agree more with this - it's going to take some time for him to get the confidence you need as a shooter to call his own number. Pitino has likely told him he has the green light, but it still takes time to develop that self confidence and congruity with teammates / offensive schemes. I hope he keeps working and stays focused on the long term vision. Would be great to see him have success in his role in the coming years, and hopefully chip in some timely shots as this season moves along!

Top Bottom