Will we make the "dance"?

Reaction score
For me the jury is out until I see how Fernstrom fits in. The only games I haven't seen were on the island's. Right now I would give the coaching staff a C+. Just me, but we do way to much dribbling of the ball with. Bell doing the majority of it. Brunson hasn't been getting a lot of minutes, but it seems like there is better ball movement with her at the point. On defense I would like to see them go more person to person. Toward the end of the New Mexico game when the were making a run Bell put pressure on the ball and created a turnover. At times in the 2-3 zone they get lazy, especially Wagner. I think with the lineup of Hubbard, Tinjun, Bell, Wagner,and Edwards they have enough mobility to play it straight up as long as they can beat the ball screens. They only drawback I see is it might hurt their defensive rebounding. JMO....

Hurdles:
1. New Mexico (cleared)
2. RPI-worthy schedule (cleared)
3. Go into conference schedule with 9-4 record
3. Add Fernstrom and make impressive showing in conference
4. 20+ win season

Most likely scenario is going into conference schedule with 9-4 (6-3 now).

Lock: Go 9-7 in conference + 2 Big Ten tourney wins
........Win Big Ten Tourney
Possible: Go 9-7 in conference + 1 Big Ten tourney win
.............Go 8-8 in conference with 2 Big Ten tourney wins
Weak: Any other scenario

Minnesota plays both Maryland and Ohio St twice this season.
All this is just guessing at this point. Who knows what craziness will ensue come March?
8-8 conference seems pretty meh to me. Definitely would like to get winning record in conference.

If gophers can go into the conference season with 9-4 record and then not have loss to the bottom feeders of the Big Ten (Illinois, Nebraska, Wisconsin or Rutgers) then I think they are looking at least somewhat good. However honestly, I feel like they have the situation where they have no bad losses but also no go wins. WNIT solid team IMO this season, even with Fernstrom.

Hurdles:
1. New Mexico (cleared)
3. Go into conference schedule with 9-4 record
3. Add Fernstrom and make impressive showing in conference
4. 20+ win season

Most likely scenario is going into conference schedule with 9-4 (6-3 now).

Lock: Go 9-7 in conference + 2 Big Ten tourney wins
........Win Big Ten Tourney
Possible: Go 9-7 in conference + 1 Big Ten tourney win
.............Go 8-8 in conference with 2 Big Ten tourney wins
Weak: Any other scenario

Minnesota plays both Maryland and Ohio St twice this season.
All this is just guessing at this point. Who knows what craziness will ensue come March?
8-8 conference seems pretty meh to me. Definitely would like to get winning record in conference.

Currently Georgetown is #4 in rpi, and Minnesota beat them, so maybe that'll be a bigger win then we all realized.

If Minnesota knocked off Ohio St last year, we might have their number this year too. They seem vulnerable at times this year. At least one win over Ohio St would be very nice for the resume.

No.

Play the likely best 3 teams in the B1G twice apiece (Maryland, Ohio State, Michigan State). Best they can hope for there is a split with Michigan State. That's 1-5, at best, right there.

The defense rests (as it always does).

No. I think they blew it not winning a game in the Bahamas. The Big Ten is awful this year but the double plays are the top of the league. 9-7 appears to be the rest record they could attain.

But if they beat South Carolina on Sunday everything will change. :)

No. I think they blew it not winning a game in the Bahamas. The Big Ten is awful this year but the double plays are the top of the league. 9-7 appears to be the rest record they could attain.

But if they beat South Carolina on Sunday everything will change. :)

Beating SC without Fernstrom is a bit ambitious.

9 wins non-conference + 9 wins conference + 2 wins BigTenTourny = 20 wins
20 wins with Gopher schedule this year should do it in my mind.
Fernstrom is the big question mark. How much will she add to this team? Got depth, that's for sure

Currently Georgetown is #4 in rpi, and Minnesota beat them, so maybe that'll be a bigger win then we all realized.

If Minnesota knocked off Ohio St last year, we might have their number this year too. They seem vulnerable at times this year. At least one win over Ohio St would be very nice for the resume.

Not sure why but, weirdly, realtimerpi is projecting a Minnesota win over Ohio State at home.

I'd say no, but I'm still hopeful. A lot of good points made above, especially regarding the schedule. Hopefully this team won't get discouraged with the tough schedule to start the BIG season (OSU, Maryland, Indiana). If I had to predict today, I'd pick Maryland, OSU and Indiana. I'm higher on Michigan that Michigan State. So after the top three teams, I'd lump the Gophers in with the likes of Michigan, MSU, Iowa, Northwestern, Penn State, and Purdue. If the BIG gets 7 teams in the NCAA tourney, it would mean that the Gophers will be fighting with 7 teams for 4 spots. Possible, but not probable , with the tough schedule. I have them going 8-8 in the conference with losses to Maryland (2), OSU (2), Indiana, MSU, Iowa, and Michigan. Wins over Wisconsin, MSU, Purdue, Northwestern, Nebraska, Rutgers, Illinois, Penn State. So with a 9-4 non-conference record and 8-8 conference record, it would probably take 2 wins in the conference tourney to give them a chance for a bid. I realize that projecting all the games in the conference schedule is a bit ridiculous, but it at least gives us an idea of what might happen. Don't know what to expect from Fernstrom, but I do expect her to be a presence on both sides of the court. But I don't expect her to have to shoulder the team's chances to make it to the Dance.

qMNwxbP.jpg

I think that without Fernstrom playing now we are to much run, gun with poor ball movement. We all have witnessed the lack of rebounding and D. She should help both but will it be enough I think they will squeak in if they improve their team D.

Hurdles:
1. New Mexico (cleared)
3. Go into conference schedule with 9-4 record (cleared)
3. Add Fernstrom and make impressive showing in conference (9-7 or better)
4. 20+ win season (including Big Ten Tournament)

Right on track!

Top Bottom