Recruiting: Laya Hartman

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
http://usatodayhss.com/2016/young-okemos-girls-basketball-star-laya-hartman-gaining-attention

Laya Hartman hates to be caught off guard.

The Okemos sophomore guard likes to know the questions before you ask. She likes to ponder over them before giving her responses.

Facing scrutiny since the eighth grade, the glare from the spotlight doesn’t bother her anymore, even though she can be reserved.

Hartman is a 5-foot-11 guard who is ranked as the 29th best sophomore in the country for the class of 2019, according to ESPN’s Dan Olson.

In her season opener against Chandler Park Academy, she had 28 points with six three-pointers to lead the team to a 57-28 victory.

As a freshman on a team that went 8-12 she averaged 18 points, six rebounds, and four assists. She has already hit game-winning shots and caught the eye of some of the country’s top programs.

She has 12 Division I offers, including Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Villanova, Oregon State, Purdue, Indiana, Central Michigan, Western Michigan and Akron...

...Hartman plays for an AAU team in Indiana, where she carved out a reputation at an early age.

“I like things about AAU basketball and high school basketball,” said Hartman. “I don’t feel as much pressure in high school basketball. There’s more room for me to play my game. AAU, there aren’t as many opportunities, but the level of play is a lot higher. There isn’t as much responsibility on you. There’s not as much ball movement. I just play my game and not be concerned about what other people are doing. Just know what you can do. Play with a lot of intensity.”

One of Hartman’s biggest fans is Okemos athletic director Ira Childress, who made sure he brought in a quality coach this year.

“Laya is not only of the best basketball student-athletes in the state, but she’s a great young lady and an excellent student,” said Childress. “Laya has a great work ethic and spends hours in the gym working on her game. Her success on the basketball court didn’t come by accident.”

Top Bottom