Q&A: Gabe Kalscheur on Gophers Pitino: "I like how he has got the team back on track"

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Gabe Kalscheur on Gophers Pitino: "I like how he has got the team back on track"

Q&A: Gabe Kalscheur on Gophers Pitino: "I like how he has got the team back on track."
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/728567?referrer_id=331171

Gabe Kalscheur, a 6-foot-2, 189-pound junior guard from Minneapolis (MN) DeLaSalle, is considered one of the top players in the Minnesota Class of 2018. Kalscheur received a scholarship offer from Minnesota this past summer.

Kalscheur scored 27 points to lead DeLaSalle to a 79-56 victory over Fergus Falls in the 3A title game to become the first boy's team in Minnesota history to win five straight state championships.

Kalscheur averaged a team-best 19.0 points per game this past year for the Islanders, who finished 24-4. He has scored in double figures in all but three games, including a season-best 30 points versus Champlin Park.

Kalscheur caught up with Gopher Hole Saturday after the Cretin Jamboree to talk about the latest on his recruitment and upcoming season.

Gopher Hole: You are getting ready to start the season. There is always high expectations at DeLaSalle. You have won the last five state titles. What is it going to take to won a sixth?

Gabe Kalscheur: A lot of communication. Communication and leadership. Also, rebounding.

Gopher Hole: You lost some key seniors, but you and Goanar Mar (a senior forward who signed with George Mason) are back. What do you think is going to happen for you guys?

Gabe Kalscheur: We need a point guard to step in. Tyrell (Terry). He is young. He is long, He is really good, so that is a key for him to step up.

Gopher Hole: How has your role changed from your sophomore season to your junior year?

Gabe Kalscheur: Since Sam (Jones) is gone, I have become more of a leader out there. I think that when I am out there, I am a leader and I have to control everything out there.

Gopher Hole: Do you like being a little more of a leader now that you are a junior?

Gabe Kalscheur: Yes.

Gopher Hole: What things have you really been working on your games to continue to improve yourself as a player?

Gabe Kalscheur: Like ball screens, like Tre (Jones) does. Like ball screens and my ball handling and then just get my myself open on the wings.

Gopher Hole: DeLeSalle always plays a tough nonconference schedule to get ready for the playoffs. How do you think that helps you guys improve as a team?

Gabe Kalscheur: It helps us get our mind focused for the games in March. That's really what matters.

Gopher Hole: Have you had a chance to go to any college basketball games this year yet?

Gabe Kalscheur: I was at UNI when I visited down there for a football game and I have seen a lot of Minnesota games.

Gopher Hole: Which Minnesota games have you been to?

Gabe Kalscheur: Arkansas and I saw one of their exhibition games. I hope that I can go to the Michigan State one.

Gopher Hole: The Gophers are off to a good start after a disappointing season last year? Does that make you look at them a little bit differently?

Gabe Kalscheur: Yes, a lot. I like the way that they are on.

Gopher Hole: They are a little bit of a guard-dominated team and you are a guard. Is that something that appeals to you?

Gabe Kalscheur: Yes, I like Coach Pitino and how he runs it. I like how he has got the team back on track.

Gopher Hole: What offers do you have right now?

Gabe Kalscheur: UNI, Drake, Minnesota, and UND (North Dakota).

Gopher Hole: What other schools are you hearing from besides those four?

Gabe Kalscheur: Creighton, Nebraska and a little bit of Arizona.

Gopher Hole: Have you even thought about when you would possibly make a college choice yet?

Gabe Kalscheur: I would say like the fall of next year.

Gopher Hole: What do you think of Minnesota then?

Gabe Kalscheur: I like them a lot. I would like to stay home, but there are other places out there, so that might mean that I have to expand my horizons.

Gopher Hole: You are obviously going to play Division I basketball, wherever that is. What does it mean to you to have the opportunity to play at that level?

Gabe Kalscheur: It means a lot. I have put in a lot of work to this game and I am glad that things have paid off.

Gopher Hole: Are there any certain college or pro players that you watch and try to emulate or watch their game?

Gabe Kalscheur: Yes. I watch Bradley Beal and Klay Thompson. Klay Thompson is good at moving off the ball and Bradley Beal is good at getting gap penetration.

Gopher Hole: Those guys are shooters, too?

Gabe Kalscheur: Exactly.

Gopher Hole: You are playing for the Howard Pulley team again this summer and they lose some key seniors (Theo John, Gary Trent Jr, Brad Davison), but have some good younger player like you, Daniel Oturu and Tre Jones back. What are the expectations AAU-wise and have you talked about that much?

Gabe Kalscheur: Yes. We want to win the Peach Jam. We were close last year and thought we should have made it. We want to win it

Top Bottom