Game 6: Gophers versus North Carolina on Bimini (11/25/16)

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
Gophers v UNC on Bimini

A quick look at the Tar Heels (4-1) who lost to South Florida after the Gopher game. They still seem to be a Sylvia Hatchell guard oriented club.

Wins: Alabama State, 84-54; Alabama A&M, 80-34; Bucknell, 65-50; Charleston Southern, 93-77.

Loss: South Florida 83-55,

The Tar Heels are 45-148 from three.

Probable Starters

Stephanie Watts: 5'11 G So. (22 points/g) 33.3 minutes/g
Jamie Cherry: 5'8" G Jr. (10 p/g) 32.2 m/g
Hillary Fuller: 6'2" F Sr
Paris Kea: 5'9" G So. (15.6 p/g) 34.4 m/g
Destinee Walker: 5'10 G So. (32.2 m/g)

Others:
Taylor Koenen: 6'2" G Fr (20.8 minutes/ game

Gophers lose 91-77 ..North Carolina blows them out in the 4th quarter with 34 points. Not a very good finish against a average North Carolina team. Bottom line. Stollings is not a good defensive coach. I've had suspect of her and it came to the forefront tonight.

http://www.goheels.com/pdf9/5108815...&SPID=12979&DB_LANG=C&SITE=UNC&DB_OEM_ID=3350

Turnovers: Minnesota 21 and North Carolina 12...ugh
Fouls: Minnesota 27 (Hedstrom fouled out) and North Carolina 17...ugh
Plus Stollings picked up a technical in the first half.

Barnes played 25 minutes

Starters:

Wagner
Hedstrom
Bell
Hubbard
T Bello

Minutes Played:

36 Wagner: 19 points, 7 rebounds, 2 assists and 6 turnovers
30 Hedstrom: fouled out
27 Hubbard: 21 points and 0 turnovers
25 Bell: 12 points, 8 assists and 5 turnovers
25 Barnes: 9 points, 10 rebounds and 3 turnovers
16 Brunson:
13 Starr
12 Tinjum
9 Edwards
6 T Bello
1 Key

Gophers lose 91-77 ..North Carolina blows them out in the 4th quarter with 34 points. Not a very good finish against a average North Carolina team. Bottom line. Stollings is not a good defensive coach. I've had suspect of her and it came to the forefront tonight.

I'd go even further and say she's not been a good coach, period. Underachieved while Shae Kelley, Zahui B., Banham, and Mullaney were here. Offensive efficiency is horrid, and defense is non existent. Need positive results before I'm going to label her anything otherwise.

Both games were close until the last quarter so it's very disappointing to see how they ended up. Too many turnovers and too many fouls. It is apparent Stollings doesn't know how to utilize the speed she has.

Okay lets take a step back before making comments like this. Marlene had a total of 10 games with Both Banham and Zahui B and yet still made the NCAA tournament that season. Plus was a game or two away from being in the NCAA tournament last year. Compare that to Pam Borton's last 5-6 seasons and its a hell of a lot better. Add in the fact that Borton had Zahui and Banham for a full season and couldnt get to the NCAA tournament. THen look at last two games. While both ended up losses, they were right there in both of them. Georgia was decided by one bad second quarter and last 3 minutes of the game. I would say that Gophers were in control of North Carolina basically the entire game until final 5 minutes. Both are more athletic and faster teams yet gophers are right there with them. That to me is a positive. Also wanna remind people that Marlene has brought 4 Minnesota kids back home. Another thing to remember is that these two could be easily wins if Fernstrom is available. Then lets look at the recruiting class this year. T.Bello, Hubbard and Brunson are one of the most prepared and complete freshman classes we have had in a long time. Yes I agree that Marlene is not a defensive expert, but to say she is a bad coach is simply wrong if you look at what she has done in 3 years here. Once again, Borton ran this program straight into the ground and Marlene is still trying to build it back up. even if this year is not perfect, think about next year with Bell, Wagner, Brunson, Hubbard, T.Bello, and Fernstrom all coming back along with adding a top 60 recruit in Destiny Pitts. If these two games show how close we are to being able to compete with big name teams, then I think we owe Stollings a little bit of respect.

I'd go even further and say she's not been a good coach, period. Underachieved while Shae Kelley, Zahui B., Banham, and Mullaney were here. Offensive efficiency is horrid, and defense is non existent. Need positive results before I'm going to label her anything otherwise.

See, I said Gophers traditionally fail at holiday tournaments. I think UNC is probably better than most people realize. I'll be keeping an eye on them and GA.

I don't like the trend of losing in the second half of 4th quarters. Seems like it's a coach that doesn't know what to do or how to avert disaster, similar to the poor NCAA Tourney showing. Wasn't it like a 16-0 run by DePaul before she decided to call timeout? Sheez

My hopes are still up though. The Urban Legend Fernstrom awaits in the wings giving us the hope of solid balance in those likely games where the guards can't hit the side of the ocean.

The recruiting hasn't been terrible, but I haven't seen All American level yet like Borton got. My grandma could have coached the Gophers to the tourney in 2014 and had a better showing too. No kudos from me for that. I'd like see some elite recruits come this way. Tired of the around #50 level. If Stollings can still score Carr through that adverse situation, that would really be something. I'd have to give her props on that. Of course, it's not going to happen.

Back to the UNC game, it's nice seeing (boxscore-wise) Bell looking more like a PG, and Wagner finding her groove at the three point line. Seems like a game the Gophers should have won with all the positives. It would have nice to see these games. Any archives anywhere?

Here is my thoughts on recruiting. I give Borton 2.5% of credit for getting the likes of Banham or Wagner. Both were Minnesota kids who didnt want to leave the state. The ones I give Borton credit for are the likes of Leah Cotton, Katie Loberg, Nicole/Bri Mastey, Amber Dvorak, Riche, and the likes of that.

Sadly on the Carr front, she already released her top 5 list and gophers are not on it. However neither was Kansas St and that shocked me frankly. But with this year, I'll take a Diva Hubbard over Nia Hollie from what I have seen out them early in their careers. Lets not forget, Destiny Pitts is a top 60 recruit coming in next year.

I cant get on the same level as you with 2014. Borton had basically the same team in 2013-2014 as Marlene did 2014-2015 minus Shea Kelley and couldnt get near the NCAA tourney. Borton had two All-americans in Banham/Zahui a full year compared to Marlene's 10 games and couldnt make tournament.

See, I said Gophers traditionally fail at holiday tournaments. I think UNC is probably better than most people realize. I'll be keeping an eye on them and GA.

I don't like the trend of losing in the second half of 4th quarters. Seems like it's a coach that doesn't know what to do or how to avert disaster, similar to the poor NCAA Tourney showing. Wasn't it like a 16-0 run by DePaul before she decided to call timeout? Sheez

My hopes are still up though. The Urban Legend Fernstrom awaits in the wings giving us the hope of solid balance in those likely games where the guards can't hit the side of the ocean.

The recruiting hasn't been terrible, but I haven't seen All American level yet like Borton got. My grandma could have coached the Gophers to the tourney in 2014 and had a better showing too. No kudos from me for that. I'd like see some elite recruits come this way. Tired of the around #50 level. If Stollings can still score Carr through that adverse situation, that would really be something. I'd have to give her props on that. Of course, it's not going to happen.

Back to the UNC game, it's nice seeing (boxscore-wise) Bell looking more like a PG, and Wagner finding her groove at the three point line. Seems like a game the Gophers should have won with all the positives. It would have nice to see these games. Any archives anywhere?

Sadly on the Carr front, she already released her top 5 list and gophers are not on it. However neither was Kansas St and that shocked me frankly. But with this year, I'll take a Diva Hubbard over Nia Hollie from what I have seen out them early in their careers. Lets not forget, Destiny Pitts is a top 60 recruit coming in next year.

Actually, according to ESPN, K State was on her list.

http://www.espn.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/203528/christianna-carr

Kentucky Wildcats, Louisville Cardinals, Mississippi State Bulldogs, Kansas State Wildcats, South Carolina Gamecocks

North Carolina got leveled by South Florida. Just saying....

I wouldn't be surprised to see USF creep onto the Top 25, especially if they take down Georgia today. Somebody's got to replace Gonzaga and Arizona St on the Top 25.

South Florida defeated Georgia 81-65 for the title.

http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7700&ATCLID=211322907

The University of South Florida women’s basketball team defeated Georgia 81-65 Saturday night to claim the Junkanoo Jam Lucaya Division title. The Bulls remain perfect after a 2-0 week in Bimini, Bahamas.

The Bulls (4-0) were led by sophomore Kitija Laksa (Riga, Latvia) with another 34-point performance. The guard drained eight three-pointers and tied her single-game three-point record, shooting 62-percent (8-for-13) from behind the arc. Laksa was named the Tournament MVP for a tournament best, in both divisions) 68-points.

Senior guard Ariadna Pujol (Mataro, Spain) scored 23 points in her third-consecutive 20-point outing. Pujol shot 77 percent from the floor (10-of-13) and added three rebounds, two assists and a steal. Pujol was named a Tournament All-Star for 49 points in two games.

Junior Laia Flores (Mataro, Spain) joined Laksa in double-figures with a new career high 12-points. The guard dished out eight assists and three rebounds.

No D. Same story.

Won't be anything other than a middlin' B1G program until effort is put into guarding people. Don't think that's happening under the current regime. But hey, the Gophers will score a lot of points!

Wrong

Okay lets take a step back before making comments like this. Marlene had a total of 10 games with Both Banham and Zahui B and yet still made the NCAA tournament that season. Plus was a game or two away from being in the NCAA tournament last year. Compare that to Pam Borton's last 5-6 seasons and its a hell of a lot better. Add in the fact that Borton had Zahui and Banham for a full season and couldnt get to the NCAA tournament. THen look at last two games. While both ended up losses, they were right there in both of them. Georgia was decided by one bad second quarter and last 3 minutes of the game. I would say that Gophers were in control of North Carolina basically the entire game until final 5 minutes. Both are more athletic and faster teams yet gophers are right there with them. That to me is a positive. Also wanna remind people that Marlene has brought 4 Minnesota kids back home. Another thing to remember is that these two could be easily wins if Fernstrom is available. Then lets look at the recruiting class this year. T.Bello, Hubbard and Brunson are one of the most prepared and complete freshman classes we have had in a long time. Yes I agree that Marlene is not a defensive expert, but to say she is a bad coach is simply wrong if you look at what she has done in 3 years here. Once again, Borton ran this program straight into the ground and Marlene is still trying to build it back up. even if this year is not perfect, think about next year with Bell, Wagner, Brunson, Hubbard, T.Bello, and Fernstrom all coming back along with adding a top 60 recruit in Destiny Pitts. If these two games show how close we are to being able to compete with big name teams, then I think we owe Stollings a little bit of respect.

Oh ya, never mind that Borton was fired with more wins than your savior had last year. Never mind her best team to date would have also been Borton's best recent team. Borton took a similar team she was left to the Final Four. Leaving Marlene, Banham, Wagner, Zahui, Mullaney, Bailey, Hedstrom, Hirt is not running the program into the ground. Winning 22 games and going 8-8 in the Big Ten with every body back is pretty odd timing to fire a coach.

You can't win without being able to defend. "Yes, I agree Marlene is not a defensive expert" Stop talking, say no more, she is a bad coach by your definition.

Top Bottom