Reusse names U Men's Athletics its Turkey of the Year

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Pat:

The Turkey of the Year for 2016 is a large and costly entity:

Men’s Athletics at the University of Minnesota.

The male athletes provided the university with the worst basketball team in 120 years of the sport in 2015-16, the once-proud hockey team just won the second of its past 17 games vs. other Minnesota teams, the 2015 football team went 5-7 and reacted to a bowl bid as if it was deserved, and even last Saturday, there were fewer than 25,000 spectators in the stadium for a season-saving victory over Northwestern.

Also on the résumé of men’s athletics is the Xanax ring that was operating inside the wrestling team and wound up getting legendary coach J Robinson dismissed.

Oh, yeah. The fellows also had so many videos of sexual encounters floating around in the ether that the Turkey Committee was wondering if a couple of coaches had brought in Ray J as a motivational speaker.

Meantime, the women athletes at the U keep on winning and embarrassing no one.

We’re still trying to get athletic director Mark Coyle to show up today to receive the Grand Gobbler.

First, it would be good to hear his voice in public, and second, Coyle might enlighten Turkey Banquet attendees on his timeline for having an overall men’s program that the winning Gophers women can be proud of.

http://www.startribune.com/patrick-...selection-it-s-go-bigly-or-go-home/402813536/

Go Gophers!!

Just a guess, but I think that Beth Goetz, a natural introvert, raised more money for the Athletes' Village during her time as interim than Coyle to date.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are you fuc&ing kidding me, Bleed? Mods, please change the thread title so Bleed doesn't ruin the reading of the article for everyone else.

Just a guess, but I think that Beth Goetz, a natural introvert, raised more money for the Athletes' Village during her time as interim than Coyle to date.

Introversion and fundraising ability are not correlated. It's also not a fair comparison because Goetz was here for years and Coyle has been here 6 months. It's a relationship business, and building relationships takes time.

Aside from all that, how would you have any clue whatsoever how much either has raised?

Introversion and fundraising ability are not correlated. It's also not a fair comparison because Goetz was here for years and Coyle has been here 6 months. It's a relationship business, and building relationships takes time.

Aside from all that, how would you have any clue whatsoever how much either has raised?

+1. I know most of my relationships are well built.

Has there been a Coyle sighting at the Barn this fall? Might the department think about introducing him?
I've been at every game but maybe I was getting popcorn...

Gee Pat, we wouldn't want to make any pro team a turkey of the year would we? lets go back to last years bb season season not this years. lets see Gopher football 9 and 3 - basketball 5 and 0.... Twins season oops kind of bad T-Wolves (still looking for the future with these young stars?) Vikings hmmm. Well if the Vikings win one game - Euphoria!!! Gophers win and its was because they played poor competition - lousy crowds, etc....... maybe Pat and other media have a slight pro team bias??? Just saying...

Coyle was for sure at the AK game as he and his kids were on the scoreboard during one of the game's "dancing" promotions. I've not seen him introduced at the Barn (I've only been to 3 games.), but would guess many have seen him introduced at some other Gopher functions.

Who could honestly gripe about this?

Me! that is who! At least the Gophers, in their 2 major sports, have shown significant improvement in 2016. How long has Large Pat been doing his job, with no improvement?

I have not read his article, nor will I ever read anything he writes.

Me! that is who! At least the Gophers, in their 2 major sports, have shown significant improvement in 2016. How long has Large Pat been doing his job, with no improvement?

I have not read his article, nor will I ever read anything he writes.

If you get upset at what he writes, yet don't read what he writes, what are you accomplishing exactly?

If you get upset at what he writes, yet don't read what he writes, what are you accomplishing exactly?

By not reading what he writes online(at least) he doesn't get the clicks/views and then maybe he'll retire sooner.

Coyle was for sure at the AK game as he and his kids were on the scoreboard during one of the game's "dancing" promotions. I've not seen him introduced at the Barn (I've only been to 3 games.), but would guess many have seen him introduced at some other Gopher functions.
I'm sure that is what the ADpt. is guessing as well. Should they be guessing, or should they be reaching out to what is sure to be predominantly season ticket holders?

It WAS a hell of a year for men's athletics.

By not reading what he writes online(at least) he doesn't get the clicks/views and then maybe he'll retire sooner.

Him retiring would be great. Getting fired may be better.

What am I accomplishing? The click thing, lower blood pressure, not being sick to my stomach, the naive belief that good journalism may not be dead, a day not ruined, and the list goes on and on!

You guys just don't want to admit that he is spot on about U of M Men's Athletics. He could have dropped them in at any time in the last ten years and it wouldn't have surprised me.

What does surprise me is the Reusse has had a position of women's sports being unwatchable and now is lauding their superior performance.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom