TV

brucekaupa

**** Commander
Reaction score
Remember when nearly every single Gopher Basketball game was televised live and covered by a local crew? That was awesome.

I can still recall the load of crap that was fed to us with this Big Ten Networking thing. I still have the email from Maturi claiming that MORE games would be on TV...

It wasn't hard to watch the game last night. I liked the live stream so I could easily watch it at work.

It wasn't hard to watch the game last night. I liked the live stream so I could easily watch it at work.

I don't think he's complaining about last night's game specifically, more likely the 6+ games that will only be available on BTN Plus or whatever their non-conference scam is called. That stupid package is going to cost fans $10 a month for two months. I refuse to pay for something like that. I wish there was more of an uproar about it. The schools should demand that their games be aired on regular BTN, even if they have to use aux channels if they can't schedule them in a way where there is no overlap. This issue will probably only worsen if the conference grows to 16 teams.

Someone posted it before that there were many games that weren't on TV back when MSC was around.

Someone posted it before that there were many games that weren't on TV back when MSC was around.

Yes, but it was the good old days, so it was better.

I get the annoyance, but honestly, anyone who has Netflix probably has the ability to stream these games. And there's now very little difference between a game on ESPN or ESPN 3. And even the BTN+ games are pretty good quality now, Ned and Jed's announcing not withstanding. I do miss Jim Dutcher and Dick Bremer doing the games.

Was that the channel the games were on back in the 80's? I remember Gopher hoops being on an over the air channel back then. 29 maybe?

My question is why can't BTN2GO do all or tap into all the games? I realize that ESPN, CBS or whichever contractual systems have first right to decide which BIG games to broadcast? BTN gets the left overs I think. But BTN2GO is far really not worth subscribing too unless you like all the sports.

I have a BTN2Go subscription which is my choice and I am happy to pay the meager monthly subscription to view some early season game. But not Arkansas was assigned to ESPN3 and not available to me and my very limited internet skills and streaming skills.

But why should a fan have to be an internet guru of sorts to figure out how to tune in to an obscure provider that chooses to broadcast one or two games a season?

Can someone please explain this?

In years past with msc or fox sports, all games were on tv most years. Some years even the exibition games were televised.

Anyone that thinks being available on espn3 or btnplus is the same as on tv is an idiot.

Beside screwing over the local fans, it is also a matter of less exposure...which our team can surely use at the present time.

Beside not televising most non con games....they are 'offering' the games over the net..FOR EXTRA DOLLARS. Are you kidding me.

The Big Ten,with the bundle of money they bring in, and James Delaney have become as arrogant as Roger Godell and the nfl.

Are any of you BOR's reading this?

In years past with msc or fox sports, all games were on tv most years. Some years even the exibition games were televised.

Anyone that thinks being available on espn3 or btnplus is the same as on tv is an idiot.

Beside screwing over the local fans, it is also a matter of less exposure...which our team can surely use at the present time.

The non-conference TV situation with the Big Ten Network is awful and irritates me to no end. The old days with MSC/ Fox Sports North was for sure much better during the non-conference schedule. Once the Big Ten Season starts it is better now than it was in the old days.

I was shocked to hear a game against a SEC team was not on TV anywhere and it really pissed me off. I then typed ESPN3 into my browser and was watching the game in a minute or two. The quality was good and I only had one slight delay in the feed. The lack of exposure for the product and promotion of our team is a problem, though. Since I was able to watch the game and enjoyed it I was somewhat pacified, and then.....

I got really angry again when I realized that the Big Ten could be streaming all the games in the non-conference that we get screwed out of because they do not chose to air them, when ESPN does not put them on an of their platforms. This rotten situation would be tolerable in the NC season if the Big Ten Network would stream the games for free and not try to force us to buy that BTNtoGo package, especially when they have the ability to determine if we are BTN subscribers, as they do for the occasional non- BTNtoGo streams that they do put out once in a while

Since the BTN does not have the capacity to show all the games on alternate channels like they do on Saturdays

Become a top 25 team and our games will be on tv. Win 8 games the previous season and enjoy BTN Plus.

Become a top 25 team and our games will be on tv. Win 8 games the previous season and enjoy BTN Plus.

Because the leaders of the conference should be representing ALL the conference teams....not just the chosen few........I don't think Minnesota is a 'Junior Member'.

Because the leaders of the conference should be representing ALL the conference teams....not just the chosen few........I don't think Minnesota is a 'Junior Member'.

This!!! Should be able to watch every game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with that assessment. And don't let my comment hide the fact I'm annoyed by ESPN3 and BTN+ as well. When you are trying to sell advertising, it's a lot easier for top 25 teams than it is for the bottom dwellers. So there is a balance there someplace.

This is total BS that we can't see all of games! The AD's have got to fight this issue.

I became a fan of the basketball and hockey teams because I could watch them every week. This has got to be hurting the programs by not allowing the fan base to watch the games. The casual fans would be more excited about the team if the got to watch the early games. All you hear from casual fans is how rotten they are and when Pitino is getting fired, blah, blah... all the crap you hear from the sports writers. Having these early games on TV would have created a buzz about the program and I bet attendance would be way up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is total BS that we can't see all of games! The AD's have got to fight this issue.

I became a fan of the basketball and hockey teams because I could watch them every week. This has got to be hurting the programs by not allowing the fan base to watch the games. The casual fans would be more excited about the team if the got to watch the early games. All you hear from casual fans is how rotten they are and when Pitino is getting fired, blah, blah... all the crap you hear from the sports writers. Having these early games on TV would have created a buzz about the program and I bet attendance would be way up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This.

I agree with that assessment. And don't let my comment hide the fact I'm annoyed by ESPN3 and BTN+ as well. When you are trying to sell advertising, it's a lot easier for top 25 teams than it is for the bottom dwellers. So there is a balance there someplace.
Not asking them to drop a ny games...just get the games they are missing on tv. If that means more channels..fine. If that means make them available to local tv affiliates..fine.

They offer far worse coverage...btnplus..AND CHARGE EXTRA FOR THAT....tha's called arrogant robbery.

If the mrons at btn think most uf us that can't get our Gopher games will tune into a different big ten game instead......they need an IQ check up.

I am sending this thread to the U of Minnesota Board of Regents. Hope to hear back.

Beside not televising most non con games....they are 'offering' the games over the net..FOR EXTRA DOLLARS. Are you kidding me.

The Big Ten,with the bundle of money they bring in, and James Delaney have become as arrogant as Roger Godell and the nfl.

Agreed 100% never missed a game! Ever! This BiG Ten network/ESPN 42 is a joke!

I had how many friends texting me the if the game was on TV. I do believe this is a factor in dip in attendance. MSC and fox sports we miss those days

If you don't get BTN2Go or BTN Plus, just google "NCAA Basketball Streams Reddit" and there is a list of games to choose from. I would suggest getting adblock so you don't have to deal with all the ads. That is what I do and it works fine for me. Being a college student I don't have the money or want to spend the money when I can just find a stream for free on reddit. This also works for football games, nba games, nfl games, hockey games, etc. I know some of the older fans will still complain because, hey what else do they have to do! But if you really want to watch the games for free, this is what you do.

Was that the channel the games were on back in the 80's? I remember Gopher hoops being on an over the air channel back then. 29 maybe?

I seem to recall Gopher games being on KMSP when it was an independent station in the Jim Petersen days.

If you don't get BTN2Go or BTN Plus, just google "NCAA Basketball Streams Reddit" and there is a list of games to choose from. I would suggest getting adblock so you don't have to deal with all the ads. That is what I do and it works fine for me. Being a college student I don't have the money or want to spend the money when I can just find a stream for free on reddit. This also works for football games, nba games, nfl games, hockey games, etc. I know some of the older fans will still complain because, hey what else do they have to do! But if you really want to watch the games for free, this is what you do.

I don't know man. I understand the technology and hook my laptop up to my tv but I have never seen a stream that comes close to cable for quality of picture. Kind of why I pay for cable.

Illegal, choppy streams are not a viable alternative.

Obviously BTN Plus is a cash grab, no doubt, since they could easily make it a part of BTN2Go, but let's stop with the "good ol' days" when you could watch every game on TV.

2006-07 (year before BTN): four home games were not televised at all, the two exhibitions were streamed on gophersports and two Big Ten games were shown tape delayed on FSN.

2005-06: five home games weren't televised or streamed

2004-05: five home games, including a conference game, weren't televised or streamed.

2003-04: three home games televised only on Victory Sports which pretty much no one got

2002-03: four home games not televised

2001-02: seven(!) home games not televised

Obviously BTN Plus is a cash grab, no doubt, since they could easily make it a part of BTN2Go, but let's stop with the "good ol' days" when you could watch every game on TV.

2006-07 (year before BTN): four home games were not televised at all, the two exhibitions were streamed on gophersports and two Big Ten games were shown tape delayed on FSN.

2005-06: five home games weren't televised or streamed

2004-05: five home games, including a conference game, weren't televised or streamed.

2003-04: three home games televised only on Victory Sports which pretty much no one got

2002-03: four home games not televised

2001-02: seven(!) home games not televised

2002-2007...the old days?
Seriously?

Do you have cleaance for this thread?

Top Bottom