Game 3: Gophers host Georgetown (11-18-16)

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
Gophers versus Georgetown:

The Hoyas, coached by Natashia Adair, were 16-14 (9-9 in the Big East) last season. Georgetown lost 57-55 at Rutgers in the WNIT's first round.

This season Gerogetown is 1-1: they opened at home defeating George Washington (last season's A10 co-champs) 72-57. A Hoya 32-8 outburst erased an eight point fourth quarter deficient for the win. In their second game, at Virginia Tech, Georgetown led by two entering the fourth quarter before losing 73-63.

Georgetown has experience and some height and are led by 6'1" guard Dorothy Adomako (who along with Dionna White was an all Big East second teamer). This should be a solid early season test.

Because we care about threes: the Hoyas are 9-49 from three this season.

Probable Starters:

Dorothy Adomako 6'1" G Jr (17 pts/g; 9.5 rebounds/g)
Faith Woodward: 6'2" F Sr (16.5 pts/g)
Dionna White: 5'5" G So (13.5 pts/g)
Didi Burton: 5'5" G Jr
Yazmine Belke: 6'3 C Jr.

Other Players:
Jade Martin 5'11" G Sr. from Bloomington

Hoyas picked to finish 5th in preseason Big East poll. Not a bad test for the young Gophers.

If Georgetown is a good fourth quarter team, that might be a concern. The Gophers might not be used to a team that doesn't buckle late in the game. Also, George Washington is one of the better mid majors. They might not be as good as last year since they lost Jonquel Jones, but they're probably still decent. So if Georgetown beat George Washington.... I'm cautiously optimistic on this game, especially considering the Gophers couldn't thump VCU.

Pretty frantic and sloppy so far. 12-4 GT half way through the first

Another new starting lineup with T. Bello, Edwards, Brunson, Bell and Wagner. Another rough shooting night for Wagner, but some big fourth quarter buckets and she finishes with 21 points. Wagner passes Kelly Roysland for the 17th spot on Gopher all-time scoring list. 14 points for Hubbard off the bench...a good outing for her. Bell finishes with 10 points and 10 assists. Lots of PT for Hedstrom today. Edwards drew 4 or 5 charging fouls. Barnes with some valuable minutes off the bench. Sue Key plays her first minutes of the season. Defense starting to look better, both inside and on the perimeter. Seton Hall next.

Wagner picked it up after the half and overall they did well. Have to do a better job expanding big leads by continuing to attack. Seton Hall is pretty good too.

At least we're getting wins over non hyphen teams. Should help in building a resume for the dance.

Rebounds, Rebounds, Rebounds: Georgetown sent players to the boards and out rebounded Minnesota 49-33. Although frustrating, it did allow Minnesota a few fast break buckets when the Gophers grabbed a board.

Gopher Starters: (as noted above, another new lineup)

Bello
Edwards
Brunson
Bell
Wagner

Minutes Played (a new minutes played leader and a Sue Key appearance)

38 Hubbard: 14 points
33 Bell: 10 points, 10 assists and 5 turnovers (I think three of them were early in the first quarter)
29 Wagner: 21 points and 5 turnovers (I don't know if Stollings was watching Carlie's minutes or whether Carlie was less than 100%)
28 Edwards: Drew three or four charges taking several shoulders to the mid-section
27 Hedstrom: Joanna provided a much needed spark with two three pointers, 3 steals and 4 rebounds
12 Starr
12 Barnes
11 T Bello
11 Brunson: came out of the game fairly early after committing one of those light arm bar touch fouls which are a point of emphasis
2 Key
0+ Tinjum

The easiest summation by quarters; uncomfortable, comfortable, comfortable, uncomfortable. At first Georgetown prevented Minnesota from dribbling off screens. Then Hedstrom hit a couple of threes and Minnesota was just dribbling past defenders to the hoop. The Hoyas slowed things down; but the Gophers led by seventeen starting the fourth. Unfortunately, Minnesota committed a series of lazy turnovers and once again Wagner was called on to restore order and the Gophers eased to victory.

Highlights include the Bell/Hubbard break-my play of the day.
My favorite, too. I also love that, unlike last year, when I guess there wasn't enough speed and so many outlet passes flew out of bounds, the outlet passes this year seem to be finding actual outlets.

Top Bottom