Wisconsin: 2016-17

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/...cle_fcee560f-008a-5152-a344-60ecc8175aae.html

An article on Cayla McMorris's expanding role and a Badger injury report:

McMorris, a 6-foot guard, was a consensus top 100 recruit coming out of Park Center High School in Brooklyn Park, Minnesota. That made her the most highly acclaimed recruit among coach Bobbie Kelsey’s first four classes.

But she spent most of her first two years in the shadow of more experienced teammates Nicole Bauman, Dakota Whyte, Michala Johnson and Tessa Cichy, who carried the bulk of the scoring load.

McMorris averaged 4.8 points as a freshman, starting just once, and 6.5 points as a sophomore, starting 12 times. But as one of only two returning players with significant experience, along with redshirt senior forward Avyanna Young, McMorris is ready to take on a greater role and assume more responsibility.

“Coming in my freshman and sophomore years and not really playing as much as I would’ve liked, I really have an opportunity this year and I have to prove myself,” McMorris said. “I feel like I have something to prove this year."

Tsipis compares McMorris with Natalie Novosel, a player he coached as an assistant at Notre Dame who emerged as a star her last two years after playing a bench role her first two years.

“As you get to be a junior sometimes that light turns on,” Tsipis said. “She’s not reinventing herself, but we’re allowing her to play, allowing her to attack and not trying to script her. In the past I think she didn’t want to make mistakes.

“She’s at the point now where we’re going to live with her and she knows we need her to be aggressive. We see that in stretches in practice and it’s fun to see her kind of take over.”

And the Badger injury report:

The Badgers will be shorthanded for today’s game with several players sidelined by injuries. Freshmen Abby Laszewski (knee) and Grace Mueller (back) and sophomore Marsha Howard (ankle) will not play and redshirt junior Malayna Johnson will see limited action after just being cleared to play as she recovers from a torn ACL.

Redshirt sophomore guard Ashley Kelsick also will not play as UW awaits a ruling from the NCAA on her eligibility to play during the first semester. She transferred from Boston College at midseason last year but did not play at all for the Eagles.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/...cle_ace83c12-a313-55ba-96b0-981ae8e9fb9b.html

Despite being out scored 35-18 in the third quarter, the Badgers survived to defeat Winona State in Madison 78-71. Starters and minutes: McMorris (35), Fredrickson (33), Young (27), Shaw (29) and VanLeeuwen (30).

He was trying to help spark his team that had been lit up for 35 points in the third quarter as the Division II Warriors mounted a charge.

But the Badgers answered down the stretch, tightening the defense and making some clutch shots. Junior Cayla McMorris led UW with 20 points and freshman Courtney Fredrickson scored 19. Senior Kendall Shaw had a double-double with 12 points and 10 rebounds in her first game as a Badger and senior Avyanna Young added 13 points.

Senior Tara Roelofs, who was scoreless in Winona’s exhibition loss to Drake and had just two points in the first half, exploded for 27 in the second half to lead all scorers with 29.

But McMorris made a couple big defensive plays on her late in the game, once with a steal and then blocking a shot with about 30 seconds left to help maintain the lead.

“When somebody gets hot all of the sudden the basket gets really big,” Tsipis said. “I thought Cayla played great defense.”

Top Bottom