Random thoughts on Gopher WBB 16-17 season

bball_craz_31

Reaction score
While I am (im)patiently waiting for this season to start, I'm really curious to see what other people's thoughts are about this season/team as a whole.

-Who is a player that people think could really improve/step up this year (besides Wagner)

-is there a player people feel hasn't lived up to the expectations they had when they came here and why

-predictions of records... non-conference? conference? overall?

-predictions of NCAA, WNIT or post-season tournaments?

-any changes to thoughts on starting 5 since some have seen the open scrimmage and we are closer to the season?

-is there a game on a schedule that looks like gopher should win but you think could be a trap game? is there a game where you have a feeling or think gophers could pull off a big upset (like the ohio st win last season)

would love to hear where people are viewing this season 9 days out.

A few quick thoughts:

Of the four (not Carlie) players returning I think Edwards could be most improved. Jessie seemed to grasp the offense last season even if the execution was sometimes lacking. Even then, Edwards was in the middle of some of the season's key plays.

I'm still mulling predicted records and tournaments.

In terms of trap games, there's the trip to New Mexico (Albuquerque isn't the easiest place to wash away unpleasant memories).

To pull off an Ohio State type upset, they pretty much have to beat Ohio State or Maryland and the Gophers keep finding ways to beat the Buckeyes.

My early season tester is the January 4th match-up at Indiana. I'm already tired of seeing the Hoosiers ranked 23rd.

Let the games begin. Can't wait for the season to start. So many new faces. I'll be interested to see who can play at the BIG level. Even with the loss of Banham, there should be plenty of offense. I'll be interested to see if this team can play defense. In Stollings' first two years, her teams haven't shown that they can play defense. That may or may not be due to not have enough athletic players. But this year's roster is more athletic and we should be able to find out if the staff is interested in teaching defense or not. OSU and MD should easily be the top teams in the league. The rest of the league could be a bit of a cluster. I'd like to think that the Gophers will be able to compete with the likes of Indiana, Michigan, Michigan State, Northwestern, and Iowa. If they can, it wouldn't be outrageous to expect an NCAA tourney berth. I like the upgraded non-conference schedule. That's been a long time coming. If the Gophers don't earn an NCAA berth this year, the non-conference schedule won't be the reason. I'm not too concerned with who starts and who doesn't at the beginning of the year. The up-tempo style should allow plenty of minutes for most of the players. I would hope however that by the time the conference schedule rolls around that we have a set starting lineup and some semblance of a rotation. It seems like Fernstrom is a likely starter when she becomes eligible for the conference season. That probably means that there won't be enough minutes available for everyone at the center spot, with Edwards, Barnes, and Lemke competing for the additional minutes? And count me in with those who like Indiana as the third best team in the BIG. Tyra Buss is a terrific player.

Can't wait. I think this team will be more balanced offensively. We'll miss Maroon Mamba's leadership and clutch play, but we will be more balanced and Carlie will shine.

Sorry to not answer all of those questions -- I agree that a lot is going to depend on if the Gophers are committed to defense -- but I do think we are going to be blown away by Kenisha Bell. She shows all signs of being a special player and I really wish she had not shifted her commitment from Minnesota to Marquette in the first place. She'd have been a great addition the last couple years. (I know it's time to stop woulda-couldaing but Banham, Kelley, Zahui B and Bell together for one season would have been dynamite.)

Fernberg will help post defense when she is eligible for the B1G season. Many a time last season when somebody beat their person on defense to the lane nobody was there to deny the shot.

I'm interested to see how Palma Kaposi adapts to the American game. It looks like she faced some good competition playing for Hungary.

This team will be vastly different than last year's tem. Much quicker, much faster, more athletic. Last year's team was slow afoot and slow to the ball. The difference maker will be Bell. I hold Karley Barnes is past her knee problems so she can live up to her J.C. hype. I predicted 22-9 despite their extremely tough schedule. They go at least 10-11 deep. Lot's of talent!!

Fernberg will help post defense when she is eligible for the B1G season. Many a time last season when somebody beat their person on defense to the lane nobody was there to deny the shot.

It's Fernstrom, ruppert, and she and Bell should add the most and make us more balanced. Fernstrom will also add some scoring, especially if teams are set up to stop our three point shooting. Hope Wagner lets the shots come to her and doesn't force it. She can light it up but she can also take us out of games if she forces it with bad shots and turnovers. Like others, I really want them to step up the defense. Most frustrating thing about last year. Expecting .500 season and a bubble team that gets in.

The Big will be tough again this year so the Gophers will have improve significantly as the season progresses. We have better competition in the pre-season finally and that should help this team. We are also much more athletic and the deeper bench should help us. I agree that now we are a bubble team for the dance but so much can happen. I am looking forward to getting back to the Barn.

Top Bottom