ESPNW Preseason Rankings

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
http://www.espn.com/womens-college-...o-1-espnw-preseason-women-basketball-rankings

ESPN preseason rankings include three B1G teams: #6 Ohio State, #7 Maryland and #23 Indiana.

6. Ohio State Buckeyes

2015-16 record: 26-8; lost in Sweet 16
Notable returners: Kelsey Mitchell (26.1 PPG, 3.4 APG); Shayla Cooper (13.3 PPG, 8.1 RPG); Alexa Hart (10.8 PPG, 7.8 RPG)

No player in the country can single-handedly take over a game with the offensive relentlessness of Mitchell. But with the collection of talent coach Kevin McGuff has now assembled around her, Mitchell might not have to do that as much this season. Former high school All-Americans and ACC transfers Stephanie Mavunga (a 6-3 forward from North Carolina) and Sierra Calhoun (a 6-foot guard from Duke) join a Buckeyes rotation that already includes All-Big Ten second-teamers Cooper and Hart. Kentucky transfer Linnae Harper becomes eligible in January and will have to find minutes in the backcourt with Mitchell, Calhoun, junior Asia Doss (7.0 PPG, 2.8 RPG) and possibly Kianna Holland, another former high school All-American who is trying to battle back from two lost seasons due to knee injuries.

7. Maryland Terrapins

2015-16 record: 31-4; lost in NCAA tournament second round
Notable returners: Shatori Walker-Kimbrough (19.5 PPG, 6.0 RPG); Brionna Jones (15.2 PPG, 9.8 RPG); Kristen Confroy (8.0 PPG, 4.2 RPG)

With seven new players, Maryland is a program in transition. With two All-American caliber seniors, the Terps are also expecting to win big in 2016-17. Six of those new faces make up the top-rated recruiting class in the country (Baylor transfer Ieshia Small is the other newcomer), but the talented and efficient duo of Walker-Kimbrough and Jones remain the foundation in College Park. Walker-Kimbrough led the country in 3-point field goal percentage (54.5) and is equally dangerous in transition. Jones was the nation's most accurate shooter overall last season (66.5 percent) and is an impossible matchup in the low post. Jones will get her help in the frontcourt from 6-2 Kiah Gillespie (5.1 PPG, 2.8 RPG), 6-3 Brianna Fraser (4.0 PPG, 2.7 RPG) and 6-6 freshman Jenna Staiti. Confroy, who made 40.8 percent of her 3-point attempts, is Walker-Kimbrough's partner on the wing. What's lacking is a proven point guard. Can top recruit Destiny Slocum step in to fill the void?

23. Indiana Hoosiers

2015-16 record: 21-12; lost in NCAA tournament second round
Notable returners: Tyra Buss (18.8 PPG, 4.4 APG); Amanda Cahill (14.7 PPG, 8.5 RPG); Alexis Gassion (11.3 PPG, 3.3 APG)

The Hoosiers have made huge strides in only two seasons under coach Teri Moren, winning their first NCAA tournament game and equaling a school record with 21 wins. Now even more is expected. Much of the recent success can be attributed to the play of Buss. The 5-8 junior attacks the basket with confidence that spills over to the rest of the team. Only Washington's Kelsey Plum attempted more free throws than Buss in 2015-16. All five starters are back for the Hoosiers, including the 6-2 Cahill, the Big Ten's fourth-leading returning rebounder and Indiana's most accurate 3-point shooter (41 percent). Moren also welcomes Dayton graduate transfer Amber Deane, who is coming off an injury that shortened her season a year ago; she averaged double-figure scoring in her final three seasons.

I feel like Ohio St is top 3 team in the country. They add Mavunga and Harper to Cooper, K.Mitchell and Hart. I feel top ten in the country are

1. South Carolina
2. Baylor
3. Ohio St
4. Notre Dame
5. UCONN
6. Louisville
7. Texas
8. Maryland
9. UCLA
10. Florida St

UConn I really seem coming back down to early after losing the big 3 seniors from last year.

Does feel more open this season with UConn possibly not dominating. Huge issue with all these preseason projections is what teams have the more injuries which can change everything. I think both ND and UConn pass up OSU. Gophers will have some great competition this season. I am looking forward to the season.

The SDSU Jackrabbits are ranked #25 in the ESPN Pre-Season poll. They received votes in the AP Poll. The Jackrabbits return a lot of experience from last year's team which was one point away from making the Sweet 16 in the NCAA tourney last year (vs Stanford). There are six Minnesotans on the roster...same as the number of South Dakotans. [The Jackrabbits are pre-season ranked #1 in the mid-major polls.]

The 'Rabbits haven't been on Minnesota's schedule for a few years. It seems there'd be some benefit overall for women's hoops in the region (and its an inexpensive bus trip) if Gophers and Jackrabbits started scheduling each other again.

The SDSU Jackrabbits are ranked #25 in the ESPN Pre-Season poll. They received votes in the AP Poll. The Jackrabbits return a lot of experience from last year's team which was one point away from making the Sweet 16 in the NCAA tourney last year (vs Stanford). There are six Minnesotans on the roster...same as the number of South Dakotans. [The Jackrabbits are pre-season ranked #1 in the mid-major polls.]

The 'Rabbits haven't been on Minnesota's schedule for a few years. It seems there'd be some benefit overall for women's hoops in the region (and its an inexpensive bus trip) if Gophers and Jackrabbits started scheduling each other again.

I think the last time South Dakota State was at Williams arena was for the Best Buy Classic in 2012-13 season. SDSU lost to Villanova in their first game. The Gophers defeated Washington State (in 2 OT) and then advanced to defeat Villanova. Looking at this years schedule (the first one Stollings said is entirely her doing), there appears to be a decision to move away from regional opponents. Of course, this may be a one season anomaly.

I kinda would like to see a lot of the teams around us on the schedule. The likes of SDSU, Marquette, Wisc-Green Bay and Iowa St I feel could all be on the schedule and beneficial

I think the last time South Dakota State was at Williams arena was for the Best Buy Classic in 2012-13 season. SDSU lost to Villanova in their first game. The Gophers defeated Washington State (in 2 OT) and then advanced to defeat Villanova. Looking at this years schedule (the first one Stollings said is entirely her doing), there appears to be a decision to move away from regional opponents. Of course, this may be a one season anomaly.

I took a look at the schedule history. I don't think SDSU played Minnesota in 2012-2013. Last two games were 2008-2009 when SDSU won at Minnesota, 65-55; and 2013-2014 when SDSU topped Minnesota 70-62 in Frost Arena in the WNIT Round of 16.

I took a look at the schedule history. I don't think SDSU played Minnesota in 2012-2013.

Correct. They COULD have met at Williams in the Best Buy Classic; but SDSU lost to Villanova and Minnesota defeated Washington State (2 OT). SDSU then lost to Washington State (1 OT) while the Gophers defeated Villanova.

Correct. They COULD have met at Williams in the Best Buy Classic; but SDSU lost to Villanova and Minnesota defeated Washington State (2 OT). SDSU then lost to Washington State (1 OT) while the Gophers defeated Villanova.

I didn't carefully read your prior post....I now see what you're saying.

Top Bottom