WBB: B1G Off-Season 2016

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
http://www.thegazette.com/subject/sports/whitney-jennings-transferring-from-iowa-20160323

Hawkeyes lose a good starter, Whitney Jennings. And Tagyn Larson is leaving (and I don't recall anything about her).

Saying she wants to conclude her women’s basketball career “at a place closer to home,” Whitney Jennings will transfer from the University of Iowa.

The university sent a release Wednesday morning stating that Jennings, a sophomore guard who started 62 of 67 games in her career with the Hawkeyes, is leaving. So is freshman Tagyn Larson.

A native of Logansport, Ind., Jennings recorded 626 points, 191 assists, 169 rebounds, and 77 steals in two seasons. She was fourth on the team in scoring this season at 9.6 points per game, and added 3.0 assists per contest.

A question is answered: Illinois' new AD says head coach Matt Bollant will return.

Matt Bollant will be back. Along with the rest of the Illinois women’s basketball coaching staff.

The decision came Wednesday from Illinois athletic director Josh Whitman.

“I really was confident that we will able to continue to lead this program,” Bollant told The News-Gazette. “Obviously, it’s been a challenging year in many ways and we understand that, but we’re moving forward, and I was coaching all along like I’m going to continue being the coach here.”

http://www.idsnews.com/article/2016...ferring-from-the-iu-womens-basketball-program

Guard, Jess Walter, leaves Indiana.

Sophomore guard Jess Walter will be transferring from IU, the 6-foot guard from Midland, Michigan, announced via Twitter on Tuesday evening.

Walter’s announcement comes at the conclusion of the 2015-16 season. She appeared in 32 of 33 games, starting in five after battling back from a preseason concussion. Walter scored just 2.8 points in 16.4 minutes per game.

I was hoping that NIA Coffey was going to announce she wanted to transfer closer to home

Looks like Buckingham is no longer on the team. She is no longer listed on the roster. I am kind of disappointed but understand since she wasn't playing much. I do wish she got more time in blowouts than she did and felt she deserved more, but she was definitely the 3rd or 4th best center (before Fernstrom arrived). At times I thought she could be better than Lamke when we needed more height for defense under the basket and rebounding there. Lamke seems more nimble though. I wish her well and hope she wasn't forced to leave the team.

When watching the NIT game vs. South Dakota via big ten plus I briefly saw a player/someone else with crutches on the floor for a player huddle. Did anyone else see this? who was it and will they be back next year?

thanks

Garven, Danielle is also missing from the roster. Not too surprised. She also seemed angry and have a bad attitude whenever she was on the court except for the last time she made it into a game.

Garven, Danielle is also missing from the roster.

Good catches on Buckingham and Garven. I haven't seen an announcement. We'll probably start our off season Gopher thread with it.

The player with the boot on the left foot and on crutches was Kynadi Johnson. I threw a note in the South Dakota game thread. Johnson was not on the bench for the previous (Milwaukee) game.

I hope Gopher recruiters are camping out in Sidney Cooks' and Christianna Carr's driveways, rather than worrying about filling those other two roster spots (Although, speaking of transfers, did anyone hear that ISU podcast, post-Fernstrom's departure, where Billy Fennelly alleged Minnesota is a program with a reputation for recruiting already-committed college kids? I suspect the Gophers and all-class ISU won't be meeting in a non-conference game any time soon.)

I also appreciate the posts about the women's teams. Thanks!

I hope Gopher recruiters are camping out in Sidney Cooks' and Christianna Carr's driveways, rather than worrying about filling those other two roster spots (Although, speaking of transfers, did anyone hear that ISU podcast, post-Fernstrom's departure, where Billy Fennelly alleged Minnesota is a program with a reputation for recruiting already-committed college kids? I suspect the Gophers and all-class ISU won't be meeting in a non-conference game any time soon.)

Interesting. I wonder if that is in regards to Fernstrom or if Stollings staff is still trying to communicate with Kristin Scott of Kasson-Mantorville?

spots (Although, speaking of transfers, did anyone hear that ISU podcast, post-Fernstrom's departure, where Billy Fennelly alleged Minnesota is a program with a reputation for recruiting already-committed college kids? I suspect the Gophers and all-class ISU won't be meeting in a non-conference game any time soon.)

I didn't hear that; although it seemed every good Minnesota player committed early. I assume Stollings & company made a "courtesy call" to introduce themselves at minimum and probably did more. Fennelly's comment would carry more weight if the StarTrib article on recruiting had mentioned such contact.

You're probably right about a non-conference game not happening. Borton and Fennelly seemed to get along; Stollings and Fennelly, not so much.

Interesting. I wonder if that is in regards to Fernstrom or if Stollings staff is still trying to communicate with Kristin Scott of Kasson-Mantorville?
He was explicitly talking about Fernstrom and he made mention of "evidence" that Minnesota spoke with her while she was at ISU (I'm assuming he was speaking about the fact that Stollings started following Fernstrom on Twitter a few days before Fernstrom lowered the boom on Fennelly?). Not sure what he meant by the "reputation," but I guess he'd have to have been moaning about either Bell or Starr, the pre-Fernstrom transfers under Stollings.

He was explicitly talking about Fernstrom and he made mention of "evidence" that Minnesota spoke with her while she was at ISU (I'm assuming he was speaking about the fact that Stollings started following Fernstrom on Twitter a few days before Fernstrom lowered the boom on Fennelly?). Not sure what he meant by the "reputation," but I guess he'd have to have been moaning about either Bell or Starr, the pre-Fernstrom transfers under Stollings (he was talking about players in college, so not Scott).

Aerial Powers is foregoing her senior year at MSU and has declared for the WNBA draft.

Aerial Powers is foregoing her senior year at MSU and has declared for the WNBA draft.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/c.../04/04/michigan-state-aerial-powers/82622834/

“I was at the Final Four to enjoy some basketball and there were a lot of people questioning me on what I was going to do,” Powers said. “I thought the responsible thing and the respectful thing was to keep quiet until I told my team. I drove from Indiana and told them before it got out.”

But the meeting with her teammates was not the most difficult meeting for Powers. The real gut-wrenching moment came when she told MSU coach Suzy Merchant she would no longer be her coach.

“Obviously, I know she wants me to stay and I went to her house,” Powers said. “We sat down and talked. It felt like I was in a relationship and was about to break up with a boy. I was sitting there and didn’t know how to start the conversation.”

Once the conversation began, Merchant was able to tell Powers how happy she was for her former star.

“The kid is a pro kid and I’m happy for her,” Merchant said. “I want to coach her for 20 more years, but we’re still going to be a talented team. I’m excited for her. I’m not disappointed or upset or anything. I’m very happy for her.”

He was explicitly talking about Fernstrom and he made mention of "evidence" that Minnesota spoke with her while she was at ISU (I'm assuming he was speaking about the fact that Stollings started following Fernstrom on Twitter a few days before Fernstrom lowered the boom on Fennelly?). Not sure what he meant by the "reputation," but I guess he'd have to have been moaning about either Bell or Starr, the pre-Fernstrom transfers under Stollings.

He was watching Fernstorm's followers everyday?

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/sports/tania-davis-undergoes-shoulder-surgery-20160404

Tania Davis has surgery on the shoulder that gave her problems late in the season.

University of Iowa freshman point guard Tania Davis underwent surgery on her left (non-shooting) shoulder this morning, the university said in a release Monday.

Davis is expected to miss 5-6 months.

She played in 30 games last season with 16 starts, leading the Hawkeyes in assists, with 111. It was the second-most assists for a freshman in Iowa history.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/...cle_120e7182-fdcf-11e5-8884-bb581687a7f2.html

Husker fallout (Natalie Romeo and Jasmine Cincore receive releases, may transfer).

Natalie Romeo, who set the school record for 3-pointers this season and landed second-team All-Big Ten honors, told The World-Herald she asked to be released from her scholarship Wednesday, one day after Yori resigned amid a two-month investigation into the program.

Romeo is one of two Huskers to receive transfer releases. The other is guard Jasmine Cincore, who, according to her AAU coach Tom Jackson, is already looking at schools, including Georgia State.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/c...tate-spartans-taya-reimer-transfers/82873190/

Michigan State gains an immediate boost from Notre Dame graduate transfer Taya Reimer. Reimer has two years of eligibility remaining.

The blow of losing all-time leading scorer Aerial Powers was softened a bit Sunday with the news of the impending arrival of Taya Reimer.

The former Morgan Wooten National player of the year, Reimer, 6-foot-4, confirmed on Twitter that she is leaving Notre Dame and will transfer to MSU, which she visited this weekend.

“So incredibly excited and (feeling) blessed to have been able to find a new home as AMAZING as Michigan State!!! #GoGreen” she tweeted

http://journalstar.com/sports/huske...cle_72008742-cfe9-5c71-9ca0-7316f0b740e4.html

More Husker fallout: Nebraska signee, Mi'Cole Cayton reopens recruitment.

The change in the Nebraska women’s basketball coaching staff continues to have an impact on which players the new coach may have on the roster.

Late Sunday, one of the Huskers’ top incoming signees, Mi’Cole Cayton, announced she will now be looking at other programs.

“First off, I would like to thank Nebraska for all the love you’ve shown me, from fans, to coaches, to trainers, and to everyone in the state, but due to coaching changes I have to do what’s best for me and my family, which is to find the best basketball fit and education fit for me,” Cayton wrote. “Therefore, I have decided to reopen my recruiting process again. So at this time I have requested a release to speak with other coaches, and programs. … We shall see where this goes.”

http://journalstar.com/sports/huske...cle_72008742-cfe9-5c71-9ca0-7316f0b740e4.html

More Husker fallout: Nebraska signee, Mi'Cole Cayton reopens recruitment.

The change in the Nebraska women’s basketball coaching staff continues to have an impact on which players the new coach may have on the roster.

Late Sunday, one of the Huskers’ top incoming signees, Mi’Cole Cayton, announced she will now be looking at other programs.

“First off, I would like to thank Nebraska for all the love you’ve shown me, from fans, to coaches, to trainers, and to everyone in the state, but due to coaching changes I have to do what’s best for me and my family, which is to find the best basketball fit and education fit for me,” Cayton wrote. “Therefore, I have decided to reopen my recruiting process again. So at this time I have requested a release to speak with other coaches, and programs. … We shall see where this goes.”

Gopher interest?

http://www.dailyillini.com/article/...with-former-womens-basketball-players-beckman

Moving on: Settlement reached between former players and the University of Illinois.

The University of Illinois agreed upon a proposed settlement with seven former women's basketball players and reached a separate settlement with former head football coach Tim Beckman on Tuesday morning.

Seven former Illini women's basketball players filed a lawsuit against the University in July 2015, in relation to numerous claims such as discrimination and civil rights violations. The proposed settlement would award Amarah Coleman, Alexis Smith, Taylor Tuck, Nia Oden, Sarah Livingston, Taylor Gleason and Jacqui Grant a one-time payment of $375,000, divided among the seven players. The sum would include the payment fees to the plaintiffs' counsel.

Interim Chancellor Barbara Wilson said the University apologizes for the events that resulted in the lawsuits, but it does not acknowledge any wrongdoing on the University's part.

“I sincerely apologize that these players did not have the positive experiences we desire and expect," Bollant said in a statement. "We will continue to enhance our program to ensure that all players are treated with respect and feel comfortable in communicating with our coaching staff and the Division of Intercollegiate Athletics.”

The settlement will require approval from the Board of Trustees at its May 19 meeting.

In related news:

The University also announced a settlement with Beckman. The former football head coach will be paid a one-time payment of $250,000. The settlement will not require Board of Trustees approval because the total does not reach the threshold for its action.

I saw Latesha Buck is transferring out of UW Green Bay. She went to my high school, about an hour from the Twin Cities, and I think she's supposed to be pretty good. Would the Gophers have any interest, or even have a scholarship available?

I saw Latesha Buck is transferring out of UW Green Bay. She went to my high school, about an hour from the Twin Cities, and I think she's supposed to be pretty good. Would the Gophers have any interest, or even have a scholarship available?

Maybe she ends up with Matt Bollant at Illinois?

University of Wisconsin-Green Bay junior guard Latesha Buck asked for and has been granted her release by the school.

The 5-foot-11 Buck has one season of eligibility remaining. She will have to sit out next season due to NCAA transfer rules, provided she signs with another Division I school.

The Red Wing (Minn.) product, who was recruited here by former UWGB coach Matt Bollant, started the first 71 games of her career before coming off the bench for the final 26 this season

http://www.fightingillini.com/news/2016/4/13/womens-basketball-illiniwbb-adds-hole-nsk-for-2016.aspx

From Vracov to Champaigne, the Illini add guard Peca Holesinska.

Fighting Illini women's basketball and head coach Matt Bollant announce the addition of Peca Holešínská to the Illinois women's basketball family. A native of Vracov, Czech Republic, Holešínská will join the Illini for the 2016-17 season.

"Peca is a phenomenal shooter, one of the best in the world," Bollant said of the 5'9" guard. "I saw her play two years ago in the Czech Republic and was really impressed. She is a highly skilled player and I believe she will be an impact player for the Illini."

http://www.news-gazette.com/sports/...ing/2016-04-13/illini-guard-transferring.html

Gain one, lose one: The Illini's Brooke Kissinger transfers to Creighton.

Sophomore guard Brooke Kissinger confirmed she is leaving the program to transfer closer to home and play at Creighton.

“I’ve had feelings of being homesick,” Kissinger said. “Obviously my freshman year, but that’s typical. My parents were like, ‘Go through your second year, and if you’re still homesick we can talk about transferring later.’ I would say around February-ish. That’s when I really started talking to my parents.”

Illinois coach Matt Bollant said the Illini coaches knew Kissinger transferring was a possibility.

“It was somewhat of a surprise,” Bollant still said. “She had said many times she was homesick the last two years and wanted to be closer to her family. Even though she had a good year she still felt like she wanted to be closer to home.”

http://www.wandtv.com/story/31735472/chatrice-white-leaving-illinois-basketball-program

Illini lose another. And it's Chatrice White!! White was a very public supporter of Matt Bollant during the turmoil. Now she's outtta there.

CHAMPAIGN – The roster turnover for the Illinois women's basketball team continued Friday.

Chatrice White, who just finished her sophomore season at Illinois, will transfer. According to head coach Matt Bollant, the university granted her release this week.

"We wish her all the best in the future," Bollant said, in a short statement released Friday

Illinois fired Divilbiss a year ago, so it's getting a bit harder to pin all of this turnover on him (White seemed to be the one player who was a fan of his "work ethic," come to think of it). Or maybe the timing of this is not a coincidence, vis-a-vis events in Lincoln? Maybe she's a Yori non-fan who's interested in heading home, now that Yori is gone, and playing without a scholarship?

Top Bottom