WBB: Gophers v UW Milwaukee: WNIT First Round (3/16)

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
WNIT First Round:

UW Milwaukee finished 2nd in the Horizon league at 12-6; but there was a chasm wider than Lake Winnebago between the Panthers and first place UW Green Bay. UWGB swept all three match-ups by scores of 63-42, 69-46 and 64-32 (Horizon League tournament).

There was also a chasm between UW Milwaukee and power conference teams: the Panthers lost @ Miami (77-38), @ Northwestern (69-44) and to Marquette (101-81).
The Panthers like the three ball (they were 196-623 for the season). In conference play the Panthers averaged 69.4 points per game and yielded 65.6 points per game.

UW Milwaukee is coached by former Badger Kyle Rechilicz (nee Black).

PLEASE NOTE: USELESS HISTORY FOLLOWS: Rechilicz was a three point shooting senior starter on the 2001-02 Badger team which suffered a water shed loss to the Whalen/McCarville Gophers. The Badgers riding a 15 game winning streak (including 7-0 in the B1G) were ranked 5th when they squared off with the Gophers at a sold out Kohl Center (17,000 plus). (Most of the game is available on you tube). Upstart Minnesota emerged with a stunning 92-85 victory sending the Badgers on a decline that pretty much continues.

Probable Starters:

F Steph Kostowicz (6-2) So.: 13.5/game
G Sierra Ford-Washington (5-8) Jr.: 13.4/game
G Jenny Linder (6-0) So.: 13.3/game
G Sydney Howard (5-7) Sr.
F Emma Roenneborg (6-2) Fr.

Other:

G Alexis Lindstrom (5-7) Jr.

WNIT First Round:

UW Milwaukee finished 2nd in the Horizon league at 12-6; but there was a chasm wider than Lake Winnebago between the Panthers and first place UW Green Bay. UWGB swept all three match-ups by scores of 63-42, 69-46 and 64-32 (Horizon League tournament).

There was also a chasm between UW Milwaukee and power conference teams: the Panthers lost @ Miami (77-38), @ Northwestern (69-44) and to Marquette (101-81).
The Panthers like the three ball (they were 196-623 for the season). In conference play the Panthers averaged 69.4 points per game and yielded 65.6 points per game.

UW Milwaukee is coached by former Badger Kyle Rechilicz (nee Black).

PLEASE NOTE: USELESS HISTORY FOLLOWS: Rechilicz was a three point shooting senior starter on the 2001-02 Badger team which suffered a water shed loss to the Whalen/McCarville Gophers. The Badgers riding a 15 game winning streak (including 7-0 in the B1G) were ranked 5th when they squared off with the Gophers at a sold out Kohl Center (17,000 plus). (Most of the game is available on you tube). Upstart Minnesota emerged with a stunning 92-85 victory sending the Badgers on a decline that pretty much continues.

Probable Starters:

F Steph Kostowicz (6-2) So.: 13.5/game
G Sierra Ford-Washington (5-8) Jr.: 13.4/game
G Jenny Linder (6-0) So.: 13.3/game
G Sydney Howard (5-7) Sr.
F Emma Roenneborg (6-2) Fr.

Other:

G Alexis Lindstrom (5-7) Jr.

Wasn't that the game when on the same day there was a water pipe burst in the Pav, moving the basketball team to Williams?

Wasn't that the game when on the same day there was a water pipe burst in the Pav, moving the basketball team to Williams?

Almost. The game in Madison was on Sunday; the pipe break at the Pav was on Saturday...enough time to do the deed, hit 94 East making a comfortable escape to Madtown. Hmmm...I wonder which assistant got assigned the task.

Almost. The game in Madison was on Sunday; the pipe break at the Pav was on Saturday...enough time to do the deed, hit 94 East making a comfortable escape to Madtown. Hmmm...I wonder which assistant got assigned the task.

Do I at least get credit for having the right weekend?

:clap:

Watching on BTN2go Plus. Bailey with 2 quick 3s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Banham with 23 out of Gophers 29 points in the 3rd. Gophers up by 2.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Banham's at 40. She will be in 6th place on the all-time scoring list after this game. She's passed Cheryl Miller, Chamique Holdsclaw, Maya Moore and Elena Delle Donne. Gophers up 78-66.

South Dakota is leading Creighton 58-53 in the 4th quarter.

Gophers win by 7.

Banham with 48 pts.

Nice win Gopher women!

Unable to watch the game...the most fouls anyone had on the team was only 2. Were the refs "letting them play", or were they not very aggressive on D?

Nice win Gopher women!

Unable to watch the game...the most fouls anyone had on the team was only 2. Were the refs "letting them play", or were they not very aggressive on D?

Beats me. I just followed on GameTracker.

Nice win Gopher women!

A little of both. Banham sure thought two or three fouls should have been called on her drives to the basket (and I think she was right). But Milwaukee scoring at will in the paint also evidenced the lack of post defense from the Gophers. Man, sports writers have been telling us for a few days how bummed Banham is not to be in the NCAAs and that was clear in the first half -- she played fine but she did not look happy at all. Really rallied in the second half and had her usual, ho-hum, amazing game. Gophers survive to host South Dakota at the Barn Sunday at 2.

A little of both. Banham sure thought two or three fouls should have been called on her drives to the basket (and I think she was right). But Milwaukee scoring at will in the paint also evidenced the lack of post defense from the Gophers. Man, sports writers have been telling us for a few days how bummed Banham is not to be in the NCAAs and that was clear in the first half -- she played fine but she did not look happy at all. Really rallied in the second half and had her usual, ho-hum, amazing game. Gophers survive to host South Dakota at the Barn Sunday at 2.

You look at the list of players she passed tonight and have to be impressed. Only Greiner and Stiles played consistent higher level competition although with our preseason schedule we are somewhat on that list. I was with her on being depressed about WNIT but will go Sunday for the seniors. Stollings must improve our preseason schedule. I hope Banham continues to get national recognition.

Tonight, UW Milwaukee had the second best guard on the floor and all the best posts. And then, just after the Gophers went up by twelve in the fourth quarter, a Bailey steal sent Banham and Bailey out on a two on one fast break, Unfortunately, after several passes, the break ended with Rachel missing a fade away baseline jumper. On the next possession Rachel missed a three, Milwaukee continued scoring and the Panthers made it a game the rest of the way.

Barnes, Edwards and Hedstrom had terrible nights both offensively (Barnes should have had double figures just on layups) and defensively. Even Joanna missed a wide open layup. But, of course, Rachel was terrific.

Of Note: I did not see Kynadi Johnson on the bench.

Wagner was 1-17 at one point. What's happened to her?

Starters:

Wagner
Banham
Bailey
Barnes
Hedstrom

Minutes Played:

38 Wagner: 10 points
33 Banham: 48 points
33 Bailey: 14 points
27 Starr: 10 rebounds
19 Barnes
19 Edwards
16 Mullaney: 10 points
13 Hedstrom
2 Lamke

Minnesota’s Posts were 2-8 from the field with a made free throw for 5 points.
UWM’s forward Kostowicz was 12-15 from the field and 5-5 from the line for 30 points.

Wagner was 1-17 at one point. What's happened to her?

Carlie got so frustrated in the second half that she just gave a Panther a two handed shove in the corner as the Gophers were bringing the ball up court. It was the easiest foul call of the night; although it was so far away from the action that few people saw it.

Carlie got so frustrated in the second half that she just gave a Panther a two handed shove in the corner as the Gophers were bringing the ball up court. It was the easiest foul call of the night; although it was so far away from the action that few people saw it.

Might be more frustrated next year when she becomes the focal point of the defense. Hopefully, Fernstrom can take some of the pressure off her when she becomes eligible.

I wonder if she's hurting in some way? What happened to her elevation? She's getting stuffed on just about every layup attempt. Her confidence is definitely hurting.

I think I buy the "worn down." The shots she was missing yesterday -- and in the last few games, in fact -- were layups and short jumpshots she almost never missed at the start of the season.

I think I buy the "worn down." The shots she was missing yesterday -- and in the last few games, in fact -- were layups and short jumpshots she almost never missed at the start of the season.
BTW thatjanelpick, I love your name. Anyone who saw that pick will remember it forever!

Top Bottom