WBB: Gophers @ Wisconsin-B1G Game 8 (1/23)

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
The Bobby Kelsey Watch:

The speculation about Badger head coach, Bobby Kelsey’s future received a boost this summer after AD, Barry Alvarez, squashed the automatic yearly roll over of Kelsey’s contract. Hopefully, the Gophers will add another mark to the negative side of the Kelsey ledger. That said, Wisconsin (2-5) can be a bit of a pain to play. Sixth year senior and UCONN transfer, Michala Johnson, has her moments inside. And Nicole Bauman can team up with Dakota Whyte for some annoying scoring outbursts.

At the Kohl Center, Wisconsin defeated Indiana and Penn State plus a Badgers rally in the fourth quarter gave Wisconsin a chance to tie Iowa late.

Bobby Kelsey’s B1G Record:

2016: (2-5)
2015: (5-13)
2014: (3-13)
2013: (3-13)
2012: (5-11)

Badger B1G Wins: Indiana (73-69), Penn State (82-62)

Badger B1G Losses: @Michigan State (73-69), @ Rutgers (61-41), Iowa (57-54), @ Illinois (71-65), Maryland (90-65)

Last Season: Minnesota defeated Wisconsin twice. The first matchup, in Madison, was relatively straight forward. The Gophers lead 40-30 at the half and eased to a 72-60 win. The return game in Minneapolis was a crazier 93-82 Gopher win. Minnesota opened held big leads only to have Bucky surge within six with about four minutes remaining. Kelley was outstanding with 33 points and 14 rebounds while Zahui posted 21 and 13. For the Badgers, Bauman scored 22 (6-8 from three) and Whyte scored 20 (3-5 from three).

Probable Starters: (points/game)

G Nicole Bauman (15.7)
G Dakota Whyte (12.8)
F Michala Johnson (10.3)
F Avyanna Young (7.9)
G Cayla McMorris (9.7)

http://www.dailycardinal.com/articl...urnovers-badgers-scuffling-in-conference-play
A couple of things to watch for as the Gophers attempt to extend their winning streak versus the Badgers to eight.

In recent games the Badgers have been experimenting with using the 2-3 zone to try to slow down opposing offenses, but after initial success against both Illinois and Maryland, the Badger defense wore down, leading to major deficits that proved too much to overcome...

Senior point guard Dakota Whyte has played more minutes of late alongside redshirt freshman point guard Roichelle Marble, which is one reason for the Badgers’ improved turnover numbers.

Whyte admits that Marble is “the future” for UW at the point guard position and Kelsey has noted on multiple occasions how impressed she has been by both Marble and sophomore Cayla McMorris’ play this year.

McMorris and Marble both haven’t been around for many losses to Minnesota, so the team’s losing streak to their rivals probably doesn’t mean much.

Ladies up 42-30 at half.

Banham with 2 pts. I think she will turn it up in second half.

Go Gals!

Quite a few TV games coming up for the ladies......finally

Gopher Men's Hockey won at Kohl's Center last night and now the Gopher women are up on the Skunks. Hopefully they can pull of a win. If I'm not mistaken the Gopher Track and Field are going up against the Skunks as well. Hoping for a Gopher sweep.

I got a message back from Gopher WBB Facebook. Aubrey is still with the team.:clap:

I got a message back from Gopher WBB Facebook. Aubrey is still with the team.:clap:

Nice to see them driving to the basket when the 3's were not dropping. Hope the drunks stay in that 2-3 zone n Godly gets hot from 3. We need this W!

From Lamke's start of the game buckets to Starr's rebound triggering the Wagner/ Mullaney give and go and ending with a Hedstrom to Starr flourish, Minnesota played its best team and inside game of the season. It was a nice hardworking win with 16 assists amply aided by 12 rebounds apiece for Starr and Hedstrom.

Yes, Shayne is becoming quite the opponent irritant-I think she really enjoys that role. I know I enjoy watching.

Nice to see a deeper team being developed (and becoming eligible). Really, really want Banham to get into the Dance. Could have been up on the pedestal with Whalen if things had gone right. So much fun to watch.

Shayne:

In eight B1G games Shayne Mullaney is averaging 11.6 points and 4 rebounds per game. Shayne’s shooting efficiency (.551 from the field and .467 (7-15) from behind the arc) keeps defenses honest and opposing coaches exasperated. Mikayla Bailey and Joanna Hedstrom do their part by slipping into some of the remaining seams.

Starters (the usual):

Lamke
Banham
Starr
Bailey
Wagner

Minutes Played

38 Wagner (20 points)
32 Banham (20 point)
32 Bailey
31 Starr (10 points and 12 rebounds) Allina adds grit
25 Hedstrom (9 points and 12 rebounds) ditto with the grit
20 Mullaney (11 points)
9 Lamke
8 Barnes
5 Edwards

http://uwbadgers.com/news/2016/1/23/WBB_0123163509.aspx

Post Game Quotes:

Bobby Kelsey

On the mindset needed to compete against Minnesota:
"They're competitive. You've got to have attitude out here and a hunger to get somebody. You've got to be in attack mode all the time whether it be one the offensive end or the defensive end. They don't back down from anybody, you have to get your mind set in a position where you feel like you can do anything asked of me out there whether it be scoring, defense, whatever my team needs I'm going to do it."

Marlene Stollings

On team depth:
"Well, the ladies we have out there when [Banham] goes out played together last year without her so I think they're very comfortable and confident in those moments when she has to go out of a game that they know what they're supposed to do. And we have some offensive fire power out there even when (Banham's) out, so it's just a nice luxury to have so many different guards that can put up number at any given time and I thought they handled that well."

Top Bottom